MemoQ (any CAT) How to create a view only with the segments without TM suggestions?
Thread poster: Krzysztof Wierzbicki
Krzysztof Wierzbicki
Krzysztof Wierzbicki  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 14:53
Polish to English
+ ...
Jan 16, 2023

As in the topic - I'm trying to view only those segments where there are no translation memory hits in the Translation results, and can't really figure it out.

I know I could pretranslate everything and then just tick "not started" in the filters, but I already have some pretranslated segments. I could create a copy of the project and do it there, but I have some manually split/joined segments (still, this with "automatic join/split for best results" seems to be the best solution).
... See more
As in the topic - I'm trying to view only those segments where there are no translation memory hits in the Translation results, and can't really figure it out.

I know I could pretranslate everything and then just tick "not started" in the filters, but I already have some pretranslated segments. I could create a copy of the project and do it there, but I have some manually split/joined segments (still, this with "automatic join/split for best results" seems to be the best solution).

The "match rate" in create view/filter options seems almost perfect but it only affects the match rate of the segments that are already started. Any way to force checking the match rate and filtering by the result _without_ populating the targets?

Any other CAT that can do this kind of filtering?
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 15:53
English to Russian
Pretranslate and filter blank segments Jan 16, 2023

Krzysztof Wierzbicki wrote:
I know I could pretranslate everything and then just tick "not started" in the filters, but I already have some pretranslated segments.
It doesn't prevent you from pretranslating. You still can pretranslate even when you have some segments populated.
Then use regex ^$ in target to filter segments that left untranslated after the pretranslate operation.

[Edited at 2023-01-16 15:39 GMT]

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to English
Filter empty segments Jan 16, 2023

I think I would use the Empty segments filter in Wordfast Pro. See example:
1. https://app.screencast.com/3jySuTT0koxst
2. https://app.screencast.com/a7ibRJaLnyFdh

Best,
John

Krzysztof Wierzbicki
Krzysztof Wierzbicki  Identity Verified
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
semi-working solution Feb 23, 2023

thanks for both suggestions
these are great to find empty strings in the target column of the grid. What I really needed was to find only those segments that do not have suggestions in the pane on the right (the one empty space labeled "translation results" in the pic).

Eventually I ended up pre-translating everything in the second copy of the project with TM-driven segmentation and it kind-of worked for me. But if there really is no way to filter segments (in the grid) based on the match percentages in translation result suggestions (far right, in red - in the pic below) without first bringing them into the grid it's kind of wasteful.

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
What CAT tool can do that? Feb 23, 2023

Krzysztof Wierzbicki wrote:
But if there really is no way to filter segments (in the grid) based on the match percentages in translation result suggestions (far right, in red - in the pic below) without first bringing them into the grid it's kind of wasteful.
Could you please name a tool that can do that?

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
memoQ can do that Feb 24, 2023

Of course memoQ can do that; it is the most feature-rich tool out there, with a ton of options that you can't find in any other tool.
(The only problem with memoQ is that they have shifted all their attention to the online tools, which are not aimed at people working alone.)

The setting you want is filtering by match rate, as shown in the screenshot below.

memoq-filter-by-match-rate

Isn't this what you wanted? Please let me know in case I have misunderstood.

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Of course memoQ cannot do that Feb 24, 2023

Epameinondas Soufleros wrote:
Of course memoQ can do that
No, memoQ cannot do that. You need to populate segments first to use this filter. You can't filter segments based on TM (be it 0% or fuzzy matches like 75%, 87%, 98%, etc.).

[Edited at 2023-02-24 09:07 GMT]

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Is this even possible? Feb 24, 2023

How would it be possible to filter one entity (a translation document) based on criteria applied to a different entity (a translation memory)? If this is what we are talking about, I find it impossible or, at least, barely useful. The document would need to be analysed anyway, so the performance hit would still be there. You would just save the time for the "insertion" part of the "lookup and insertion" operation that happens when pre-translating.

[Edited at 2023-02-24 11:20 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MemoQ (any CAT) How to create a view only with the segments without TM suggestions?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »