Any way to make auto-translate actually do this?
Thread poster: Edward Bradburn
Edward Bradburn
Edward Bradburn
Germany
Local time: 07:46
German to English
+ ...
Jan 30, 2023

Must confess I have been a bit lazy with auto-translate in memoQ, mostly because it's one of the few things where SDL Studio works out of the box and memoQ does not.

But anyways, I decided to finally get my dates auto-translated today and lo, and behold: it still does not work really as I expect it to.

I have simply checked the Dates EN auto-translate rule in Options and in my project. And yes, the Preview translates something like 12.08.2022 perfectly into 12 August 20
... See more
Must confess I have been a bit lazy with auto-translate in memoQ, mostly because it's one of the few things where SDL Studio works out of the box and memoQ does not.

But anyways, I decided to finally get my dates auto-translated today and lo, and behold: it still does not work really as I expect it to.

I have simply checked the Dates EN auto-translate rule in Options and in my project. And yes, the Preview translates something like 12.08.2022 perfectly into 12 August 2022.

And yet it does not in my project. It sits there as a possible thing I could insert with a numbered selection (like 11, 12, etc.), but I want it to actually insert the match into the segment. That is what I understand as "auto" translate. If it is just going to translate it and leave it to me to insert then I don't see the point, since I have to check what it has done, find the number (like 12) and then use the shortcut keys to insert the match. I don't have to do this for 100% matches so why do I have to do this for auto-translatables?

Am I doing something wrong here?

[Edited at 2023-01-30 12:29 GMT]

[Edited at 2023-01-30 12:33 GMT]

[Edited at 2023-01-30 12:34 GMT]
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 08:46
English to Russian
Checkbox Jan 30, 2023

How do you make Trados translate 12.08.2022 into 12 August 2022 out of the box?

Edward Bradburn wrote:
It sits there as a possible thing I could insert with a numbered selection (like 11, 12, etc.)
Same as Trados where you have to press Ctrl+comma to insert a placeable. Also, in Trados, you can insert a suggestion from your TM by starting typing the date (however, in this case, it is not an AT rule-based suggestion, but a TM-based fragment/fuzzy match). Trados supports 2 input methods: by starting typing (TM-based suggestions) and Ctrl+comma (AT rule-based suggestions). memoQ supports 3 input methods: double-clikcing the source, starting typing and Ctrl+number.

Edward Bradburn wrote:
I have simply checked the Dates EN auto-translate rule in Options and in my project. And yes, the Preview translates something like 12.08.2022 perfectly into 12 August 2022.
And yet it does not in my project.
What is your source and target language? Apart from editing your AT rule, you also need to check the box for the group of numerals that you have just edited.

[Edited at 2023-01-30 20:45 GMT]

Kirill Loktionov

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Any way to make auto-translate actually do this?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »