Omer Shani
Omer Shani  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 15:27
Member (2012)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Feb 14, 2023

We have a client's request to translate an application & technical guides to several Aftican languages.
All are present in memoQ language select menu, but Sepedi.
Is there a way to bypass this missing support and still translate into this language?
Will I be able to select a random target language and have my Sepedi vendor to login to memoQ and complete his translations, eventhough the language setting will be on a different language?

Omer

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:27
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Just my two cents Feb 14, 2023

I know very little about African languages, and have tried to identify a language in memoQ within the Bantu family that could be appropriate. Although not really in that family, it seems to me that you might find the characters used in Sepedi within Mandinka and "Mandinka (Latin)" could be an option. In any case, the main thing in your case is that the Latin writing system of the chosen language contains the characters used in Sepedi, as to avoid any conversion problem when you export the finish... See more
I know very little about African languages, and have tried to identify a language in memoQ within the Bantu family that could be appropriate. Although not really in that family, it seems to me that you might find the characters used in Sepedi within Mandinka and "Mandinka (Latin)" could be an option. In any case, the main thing in your case is that the Latin writing system of the chosen language contains the characters used in Sepedi, as to avoid any conversion problem when you export the finished file out of memoQ.

[Edited at 2023-02-14 06:46 GMT]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 14:27
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Sotho Feb 14, 2023

Omer Shani wrote:
We have a client's request to translate an application & technical guides to several African languages. All are present in memoQ language select menu, but Sepedi.

It seems silly that one can't enter language codes in MemoQ -- you have to select from a list of MemoQ sanctioned languages.

Calling the language "Sepedi" is a political statement. The language is "Northern Sotho", and the Pedi tribe is the socially, politically and commercially dominant tribe [1] speaking the language. Alas, MemoQ also does not distinguish between Northern and Southern Sotho, which are mutually highly intelligible but are considered locally to be two separate languages (also because each is predominantly spoken in a separate country).

If you don't have Northern or Southern Sotho yet, I suppose you can choose "Sotho" and hope the translator won't get offended. (That would be like selecting Scots when English is not in the list.)

Northern Sotho uses standard Latin characters (the 26 English letters) plus one extra letter, š. But I don't know if selecting a different language from the Bantu group that doesn't use that character, would matter. After all, when I translate into Afrikaans, I can use non-English characters from a variety of other languages in loan words.

[1] So dominant, in fact, that they convinced the constitution authors to write "Sepedi" in the South African constitution.

[Edited at 2023-02-14 07:02 GMT]

Omer Shani
Omer Shani  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 15:27
Member (2012)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Which language to choose from? Feb 14, 2023

Thank you Samuel for your elaborated answer.
As I'm not familiar with internal political issues, between the tribes & ethnical groups, these language requests came directly from the client's local reseller, which I'm sure is more alert to these sensitivities.
Nevertheless, I'm more concerened about how do we support this language, Sepedi or Northern Sotho or just Sotho, for we can't locate any of these languages in the memoQ's language list

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Sepedi not supported in memoQ

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »