Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Have you noticed a decline in the jobs available compared to last year?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
roeland
roeland  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 08:41
Member (2008)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Yes... Apr 25, 2022

... and 2021 was already quite bad. It seemed to pick-up a bit early march but it's gone again now. What I notice is an increase in subtitle work and MTPE requests for peculiar rates. If things don't improve, I might even have to give up completely.

Sadek_A

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:41
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Don't fall into this trap Apr 25, 2022

Muriel Vasconcellos wrote:

..... agencies that intentionally hire translators that charge the lowest fees ("your best rate") for the initial cut and then contract more experienced reviewers to fix up their work. .....

That's why we more experienced translators should always refuse that kind of work. What's more: that kind of work isn't even interesting.

[Edited at 2022-04-25 12:09 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Liena Vijupe
Kate Tomkins
Laurent Di Raimondo
polishedwords
Carmen Lanzrein

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:41
Japanese to English
+ ...
Decline in jobs available. Apr 26, 2022

Agencies requesting "your best rate based on long-term collaboration" should be a red flag. This is a scam. They are as bad as the "clients" offering advance payment by phony checks which turn out to be way over the agreed price.

Sadek_A
Sadek_A  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:41
English to Arabic
+ ...
Best Wishes Apr 26, 2022

roeland wrote:
Yes...
... and 2021 was already quite bad. It seemed to pick-up a bit early march but it's gone again now. What I notice is an increase in subtitle work and MTPE requests for peculiar rates. If things don't improve, I might even have to give up completely.

This kind of honesty is quite rare around here. But, it's really appreciated by me.
Based on the diverse literature I've been reading so far on the topic, things are not good (bad for linguists, and will get even worse for agencies in the near future -- thanks to malpractices and unwise activities by uneducated/inexperienced outsiders/jacks-of-all-trades on both fronts).

Laurent Di Raimondo

Anne Maclennan
Anne Maclennan  Identity Verified
Member (2010)
German to English
+ ...
Proof-reading requests probably due to customer's desire to pay lower rates Apr 26, 2022

My experience is similar to that of Yetta and Eoghan. Regular, long-standing customers now send me more often translations to proof-read. I always emphasise in my replies that I prefer translating to proof-reading, but they politely acknowledge this and their next request is a proof-reading.

In addition, some of the texts I have proof–read for them have shown a lamentable lack of appreciation of the correct register for the topic of the translation. This suggests that they are em
... See more
My experience is similar to that of Yetta and Eoghan. Regular, long-standing customers now send me more often translations to proof-read. I always emphasise in my replies that I prefer translating to proof-reading, but they politely acknowledge this and their next request is a proof-reading.

In addition, some of the texts I have proof–read for them have shown a lamentable lack of appreciation of the correct register for the topic of the translation. This suggests that they are employing less experienced translators, most probably at lower rates.

On the other hand, from other customers I receive orders for translations of documents, which cannot be processed into CAT-compatible format and they are often much more interesting to translate than the ordinary run of documents.
Collapse

Solen Fillatre
Solen Fillatre  Identity Verified
France
Member (2010)
English to French
+ ...
Huge drop in activity for March and April Apr 26, 2022

English to French, 12 years. I actually had a great 2020 and 2021 thanks to COVID-related translations, 2021 was a record year by far. But March and April 2022 have been awful. Everything stopped right around the invasion of Ukraine, or the 'official end of Covid in France'. Or maybe it's for some other reason I am not seeing.

I can go several days without any work, it's disheartening and worrisome. Apart from getting new/more clients (cheaper, of course), I don't know what to do.... See more
English to French, 12 years. I actually had a great 2020 and 2021 thanks to COVID-related translations, 2021 was a record year by far. But March and April 2022 have been awful. Everything stopped right around the invasion of Ukraine, or the 'official end of Covid in France'. Or maybe it's for some other reason I am not seeing.

I can go several days without any work, it's disheartening and worrisome. Apart from getting new/more clients (cheaper, of course), I don't know what to do.

[Edited at 2022-04-26 17:18 GMT]
Collapse

Laurent Di Raimondo
Stéphane Le Faou
Emily Plank

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:41
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Don't! Apr 27, 2022

Solen Fillatre wrote:

..... getting new/more clients (cheaper, of course).....

The translation market has changed very quickly. Most people now use Google Translate (or similar) for most of their everyday in-house translation requirements. They don't need to pay a translator.

But if the translation is for legal purposes, official uses, or for publication, a professional translator is indispensable.

That's where our work is going to be from now on.

Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you noticed a decline in the jobs available compared to last year?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »