NAATI accreditation for emmigration purposes
Thread poster: Stephania125
Stephania125
Stephania125
Local time: 02:20
Japanese to English
Mar 27, 2011

Dear all,

I feel like I got stuck in a rut and don't know what to do. I would really like to have your advice.

I am a qualified and experienced translator. I would like to emmigrate to Australia and for this reason I was thinking of taking a course in the country rather than sitting for the NAATI exam because I heard 1) it is very difficult to pass, and 2) it is very expensive.

My final goal is to obtain a permanent GSM (General Skilled Migration) visa.... See more
Dear all,

I feel like I got stuck in a rut and don't know what to do. I would really like to have your advice.

I am a qualified and experienced translator. I would like to emmigrate to Australia and for this reason I was thinking of taking a course in the country rather than sitting for the NAATI exam because I heard 1) it is very difficult to pass, and 2) it is very expensive.

My final goal is to obtain a permanent GSM (General Skilled Migration) visa.

Having a look at someone else's post on this website, I have learned I will have to prove that I have worked as a full time translator for the last 18 months before the application of the visa. I thought I could apply for it immediately after I successfully complete a course, so I was totally wrong.

Could anyone please tell me your experience or any information about this matter? Was I really wrong?

I am not so young, so if I need to spend some time on job hunting and working for 18 months, I will not be able to make it. If that is the case, I don't want to give it up, but perhaps it would be better if I did now.

My initial plan was to start taking a course this summer and apply for the visa by the end of next year. If I need to give up this plan, what options do I have?

Any advice would be very appreciated.

Stephania
Collapse

Vanda Nissen
Vanda Nissen  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 03:20
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
no translators Mar 27, 2011

Hi there,

DIAC stopped accepting applications from translators and interpreters two years ago.
You can check this list of occupations in demand in Australia:
http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/_pdf/sol-schedule3.pdf
If you want to immigrate, you should get a degree in Finance, Education etc.

Stephania125
Stephania125
Local time: 02:20
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
I feel like I have reached a dead end. Mar 29, 2011

Hi Vanda,

Thank you for your information.

So if they stopped accepting applications from translators and interpreters, there is no point in taking a course in Australia this summer. I will definitely have to look for other options.

I will be happy to take a one or two year course (shorter the better) in any place IF it leads to a permanent visa, but where should I go?

I would like to work in an English spoken country. Is there any country
... See more
Hi Vanda,

Thank you for your information.

So if they stopped accepting applications from translators and interpreters, there is no point in taking a course in Australia this summer. I will definitely have to look for other options.

I will be happy to take a one or two year course (shorter the better) in any place IF it leads to a permanent visa, but where should I go?

I would like to work in an English spoken country. Is there any country I could live and work as a translator? Am I asking the impossible?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

NAATI accreditation for emmigration purposes

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »