Auteur du fil: Gingerrr
Gingerrr
Gingerrr
Local time: 22:06
May 16, 2011

Hi everybody, I need your advice

Language combinations: English and French into Italian
Simultaneous interpreting

In my fourties I'm thinking of trying to re-enter the professional interpreting, after more than 7 years stop
due to family and health problems.

I hold an interpreting diploma (1998, SSIT Milan), used to have few occasional yet big customers and never tried to join any Association nor agency because I was happy with that calm pace o
... See more
Hi everybody, I need your advice

Language combinations: English and French into Italian
Simultaneous interpreting

In my fourties I'm thinking of trying to re-enter the professional interpreting, after more than 7 years stop
due to family and health problems.

I hold an interpreting diploma (1998, SSIT Milan), used to have few occasional yet big customers and never tried to join any Association nor agency because I was happy with that calm pace of work at the time.

Meanwhile I teach English (8 years on a temporary contract) and used to translate few books.

I am in the "now or never" state of mind... : what would you suggest?

-Considering a refreshing/master/any course? Where? At my age?

Any advice greatly welcomed... THANK YOU!

Ivette
Collapse

Susanna Garcia
Susanna Garcia  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:06
italien vers anglais
+ ...
In memoriam
Age doesn't matter May 17, 2011

Gingerrr wrote:

-Considering a refreshing/master/any course? Where? At my age?

Any advice greatly welcomed... THANK YOU!

Ivette

If my experience can help .... at the age of 51, I did an MA in Translation with Language Technology and had a fantastic experience although it was strange to be at the same uni together with my son! The following year, I took my full time job down to 0.5 and built up a client base in both translating and interpreting and then in August 2007, became fully freelance.

Obviously I don't know your circumstances but age ...... doesn't come into it.

In bocca al lupo

Suzi

Gingerrr
Gingerrr
Local time: 22:06
AUTEUR DU FIL
Thank you May 17, 2011

thank you Suzi, your experience is very helpful!
So you did an MA: where? How did you manage to study and work at the same time?
Do you think there's demand for English/Italian interpreting in UK?

Thank you again

Ivette

Susanna Garcia
Susanna Garcia  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:06
italien vers anglais
+ ...
In memoriam
Demand May 17, 2011

Ciao Ivette,

So you did an MA: where? Swansea University,

How did you manage to study and work at the same time? It was very hard but I survived!

Do you think there's demand for English/Italian interpreting in UK? It depends on so many factors - if you live in London, then there's more competition than in rural Wales. Your areas of expertise, I work mainly in police stations and courts but I don't interpret full time as there's not enough work.
... See more
Ciao Ivette,

So you did an MA: where? Swansea University,

How did you manage to study and work at the same time? It was very hard but I survived!

Do you think there's demand for English/Italian interpreting in UK? It depends on so many factors - if you live in London, then there's more competition than in rural Wales. Your areas of expertise, I work mainly in police stations and courts but I don't interpret full time as there's not enough work.

As you can see, there's a lot to consider so you next need to narrow it all down a bit.

Best wishes

Suzi
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Modérateur(s) de ce forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Going back to professional interpreting - advice needed

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »