Sylvia Wirth
Sylvia Wirth  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 15:34
English to German
+ ...
also got the same job offer and a cheque in the mail Feb 6, 2011

Hello,

I got the same e-mail from Aikman Farkus on 22.12.2010 via the translatorstown.com website where I have my profile posted and work as a freelancer.

He wrote to me saying he was a teacher in the Republic of Benin and was planning on studying German literature at a university in Europe and if I would give him a quote on how much the project would cost. At first I sent him the offer in Swiss Francs but then he asked me to make an offer in Euros.

At f
... See more
Hello,

I got the same e-mail from Aikman Farkus on 22.12.2010 via the translatorstown.com website where I have my profile posted and work as a freelancer.

He wrote to me saying he was a teacher in the Republic of Benin and was planning on studying German literature at a university in Europe and if I would give him a quote on how much the project would cost. At first I sent him the offer in Swiss Francs but then he asked me to make an offer in Euros.

At first it seemed an interesting project but upon reading the text I began to realize that something is definitely not the way it should be in regards to the English wording used.
Also alot of the text has been plagiarised from other text. Also, he said he would pay me in advance which is very rare in this business, even I know that without being a professional translator that one never agrees to receiving money ahead of having completed the work!

Last week I then received a cheque order from the Sparkasse Allgäu in an envelope with Russian postage on it which exceeded the amount we agreed upon by far...my quote to him was 896.32 Euros for the whole project...he sent me a cheque in the amount of 6500Euros which is approx. 8'000CHF which is what made me more suspicious. I then wrote back asking for some credentials from him so that I would know he really is who he clamis to be and if he cannot provide me with some proof, that I will have to deciline the project. I then got an answer from him stating that he was not mafia and not intending to launder money but that he gave the order to his finance person to send the cheque and so on...which seemed strange to me, since he said he was from the Republic of Benin.

So I started doing research under his name in the web and immediately came to your website. Upon reading all your comments and experiences you've made with this person I have decided to join your website in order to warn everyone about this scammer and have also warned the webmaster of translatorstown.com. Also, I am going to inform the local authorities here in Switzerland and hand over the bogus cheque including all correspondence I had with this person so that he won't be able to scam other innocent people into laundering money for him.

I ask all of you in the forum to inform your fellow colleagues to take heed when accepting offers from this person. Thank you.
Collapse

ineke meijer
ineke meijer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
scam? Mar 14, 2011

Dear colleagues,

I received this mail earlier today. I don't trust this and when I looked at this forum I noticed a few similarities...

The text was about STD and not having sex before marriage.

Kind regards, Ineke

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Morning,

How are you doing today and how is your weekend? I need a translator and i atta
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I received this mail earlier today. I don't trust this and when I looked at this forum I noticed a few similarities...

The text was about STD and not having sex before marriage.

Kind regards, Ineke

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Morning,

How are you doing today and how is your weekend? I need a translator and i attach the document with the mail so review it and get back to me if you can do it also let me know how much you charge per word.I want it translated into Dutch.Are you a part time or full time translator,awaits your response soon.

Regards,

WC.

Wxxxx Cxxxxxxxx
XXXXXXX
Camden, DE 19934
USA.
Collapse

Stefy81 (X)
Stefy81 (X)
English to Italian
+ ...
Same situation, but no idea about how to act May 13, 2011

Hi all,

I'm experiencing the same situation as you...

Mr. Luke Bieber contacted me and ask me for a translation from English into Italian called "The anatomy of racial discrimination".

I've received a cheque of 4000 pounds.

Since some of you lived the same situation, I'd like to ask some advices about how to act.

I'd like to go to autorities and send him back the cheque... Is it the correct way?

Can someone help me?... See more
Hi all,

Mr. Luke Bieber contacted me and ask me for a translation from English into Italian called "The anatomy of racial discrimination".

Since some of you lived the same situation, I'd like to ask some advices about how to act.

I'd like to go to autorities and send him back the cheque... Is it the correct way?

Can someone help me?

Thanks a lot

Stefania
Collapse

Alessandra Festa
Alessandra Festa  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Stesso caso May 15, 2011

Ciao Stefania, anche a me è successa la stessa cosa. sono andata dalla polizia postale che si occupa di truffe informatiche e mi ha detto che, non avendo versato l'assegno, dovevo lasciare tutto come era senza fare nessun esposto, dal momento che sarebbe stato come trovare un ago nel pagliaio. tu, da quello che ho capito, non hai versato l'assegno in banca, giusto?

Stefania Chiellino wrote:

Hi all,

Can someone help me?

Thanks a lot

Stefania

Stefy81 (X)
Stefy81 (X)
English to Italian
+ ...
Truffa bella e buona... May 24, 2011

Ciao Alessandra,

No, io non ho versato niente... L'assegno ce l'ha la polizia, ma mi ha detto che è quasi impossibile trovare i responsabili.

Oggi ho ricevuto questa mail:

Dear Stefania,

I understand the money has been paid into your account, because I already got a confirmation from my own end here. However, I just received a call from my course supervisor not too long ago that the second part of the project ( INEQUALITY OF RACIAL DISCRIMINAT
... See more
Ciao Alessandra,

No, io non ho versato niente... L'assegno ce l'ha la polizia, ma mi ha detto che è quasi impossibile trovare i responsabili.

Dear Stefania,

I understand the money has been paid into your account, because I already got a confirmation from my own end here. However, I just received a call from my course supervisor not too long ago that the second part of the project ( INEQUALITY OF RACIAL DISCRIMINATION PART 2) has been cancelled due to some logistics reasons and lack of materials to aid the research of the project.

You can start the part 1 of the project now (INEQUALITY OF RACIAL DISCRIMINATION PART 1). Meanwhile, I want you to return the excess amount mean't for the second part first thing tomorrow morning via WESTERN UNION MONEY TRANSFER back to the finance company in UK on the information listed below, so that I can be relief of debt and the earlier the money is been returned, the lesser the interest I will pay on it.

Account officer: Anthony Almeida
Address: 18 Oaks Grove,
Chingford, London,
E4 6EY
United Kingdom

Thereafter, you shall get back to me with a copy of WESTERN UNION receipt for a record keeping sake and these information listed below, so that I can forward it to the finance company immediate to enable them retrieve the fund.

1.Sender's full name and address

2.Exact amount you sent after WESTERN UNION charges

3.Money Transfer Control Number (MTCN 10 DIGIT)

4.Text question and answer

Its been a very wonderful experience working with you and I also hope to work with you more in future. I shall await your urgent reply today.

Kind regards,
Julian Robert.

Ho richiamato la polizia e mi hanno detto di mandarlo a quel paese.

Adesso passerò i prossimi 10 minuti scrivendogli una e-mail nella quale userò tutta la mia creatività!

Un saluto!
Collapse

Alessandra Festa
Alessandra Festa  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Ciao Stefania May 24, 2011

anche a me hanno mandato varie mail chiedendo se avevo ricevuto l'assegno e alla terza, mail, vedendo nessuna risposta, hanno smesso.
Cmq io ti consiglio di non rispondere, coinsiderando che loro hanno i tuoi dati personali...

Un saluto

Alessandra

Stefania Chiellino wrote:

Ciao Alessandra,

Dear Stefania,

I understand the money has been paid into your account, because I already got a confirmation from my own end here. However, I just received a call from my course supervisor not too long ago that the second part of the project ( INEQUALITY OF RACIAL DISCRIMINATION PART 2) has been cancelled due to some logistics reasons and lack of materials to aid the research of the project.

You can start the part 1 of the project now (INEQUALITY OF RACIAL DISCRIMINATION PART 1). Meanwhile, I want you to return the excess amount mean't for the second part first thing tomorrow morning via WESTERN UNION MONEY TRANSFER back to the finance company in UK on the information listed below, so that I can be relief of debt and the earlier the money is been returned, the lesser the interest I will pay on it.

Account officer: Anthony Almeida
Address: 18 Oaks Grove,
Chingford, London,
E4 6EY
United Kingdom

Thereafter, you shall get back to me with a copy of WESTERN UNION receipt for a record keeping sake and these information listed below, so that I can forward it to the finance company immediate to enable them retrieve the fund.

1.Sender's full name and address

2.Exact amount you sent after WESTERN UNION charges

3.Money Transfer Control Number (MTCN 10 DIGIT)

4.Text question and answer

Its been a very wonderful experience working with you and I also hope to work with you more in future. I shall await your urgent reply today.

Kind regards,
Julian Robert.

Ho richiamato la polizia e mi hanno detto di mandarlo a quel paese.

Adesso passerò i prossimi 10 minuti scrivendogli una e-mail nella quale userò tutta la mia creatività!

Un saluto!

Marie-Helene Dubois
Marie-Helene Dubois  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Potential new scam? Jun 16, 2011

Hi,

I've received an email today from a hotmail account with joint names (the female one is Italian and the male one is English).

It may be a new scam but I still don't know what they are trying to achieve with it.
It follows all the patterns that I have read about here.

The English is rubbish, the client states his location without being asked to do so and even gives an address in Sweden without a postcode.

I've checked the IP and the
... See more
Hi,

I've received an email today from a hotmail account with joint names (the female one is Italian and the male one is English).

It may be a new scam but I still don't know what they are trying to achieve with it.
It follows all the patterns that I have read about here.

The English is rubbish, the client states his location without being asked to do so and even gives an address in Sweden without a postcode.

I've checked the IP and the email was sent from New York or surrounding area and not from Stockholm which is where the "client" purports to be located.

He has sent me a text in French, spelled my name wrong and asked for a quote even though I already quoted for the job in response to their add in proz.
However, he doesn't specify a new word count which would justify asking for a new quote and doesn't specify whether the text enclosed is the one to be translated. He just says that it is an example of the "tittles" (sic).

I've asked for a final word count, his full address and telephone number and details of the payment terms. I felt that there was little risk in this as they would already have known that my email address was active since I sent a follow up email.

I've checked out their names on www.proz.com and neither is registered as a member (I'm not sure how they could publish an ad in that case) and I've googled the female's name and found that she is registered on another site as a translator from English to Italian which makes me suspect that it could be a case of stolen identity.

I'm just letting you all know in case anyone else has received an email of the kind and I can save you some time and effort but also in case anyone can tell me whether they've received an email of a similar nature.

The guy claims to be a "Private investor who work with local and few foreign business on short time business" (sic)

Also, could someone let me know whether this forum is the best way to communicate this or whether I should contact proz (and if so, how).

Thanks!
Collapse

lysander canlas
lysander canlas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:34
English to Tagalog
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Re: Potential new scam? Jun 16, 2011

srta dubes(??): hola compañera. if the initial contact had come through proz.com, you should definitely contact the proz.com moderator. however, since you choose to be public on the proz.com directory, proz.com has no control over who contacts you.

as you described, "it follows all the patterns that i've read about"; so it's really not new, is it. you have ignore it, then "grin and bear it" because "it's part of the game." if you ignore their queries, they'll eventually stop.... See more
srta dubes(??): hola compañera. if the initial contact had come through proz.com, you should definitely contact the proz.com moderator. however, since you choose to be public on the proz.com directory, proz.com has no control over who contacts you.

as you described, "it follows all the patterns that i've read about"; so it's really not new, is it. you have ignore it, then "grin and bear it" because "it's part of the game." if you ignore their queries, they'll eventually stop.

buenas dias.
Collapse

Marie-Helene Dubois
Marie-Helene Dubois  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thanks Jun 23, 2011

Hola Lysander,

Muchas gracias. Eventually they answered that they were going to be paying traveller's cheques blablabla so I've duly ignored. I did apply for the job through proz.com so I will let the moderator know.
thanks!

Ellis Jongsma
Ellis Jongsma  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Dutch
They're still at it Jul 1, 2011

Morning,
How are you doing today? fine i guess but i need a competent and a reliable translator and i will like to know if you are available right now for translating job also i will like to know how much you charge per page or words,am also attaching the document to this mail and i will like to read from you later.

I wish you a pleasant day ahead.

English to Dutch.

Regards,
Leigh.

The attached text is about malaria (
... See more
Morning,
How are you doing today? fine i guess but i need a competent and a reliable translator and i will like to know if you are available right now for translating job also i will like to know how much you charge per page or words,am also attaching the document to this mail and i will like to read from you later.

English to Dutch.

Regards,
Leigh.

The attached text is about malaria (didn't open it).
I sent an e-mail back to all 3 addresses (A.L.@yahoo, I.F.@gmail and [email protected]!) that I knew it was a scam and got a 'message received' confirmation from a 4th e-mail address (J.B.@yahoo).
Collapse

Marlou Franken
Marlou Franken  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Received the same scam mail today Jul 1, 2011

Enclosed was a 4000+ word text about malaria.

"i want the translated document ready in 2 weeks and 6 days...however the payment will be through certified bank check which will be in euro so get back to me with your name and address with phone number where the payment will be mail to so we can proceed from there also am ready to make 50% down payment so you can start,awaits your mail soon.

Regards,
Leigh.

A
... See more
Enclosed was a 4000+ word text about malaria.

"i want the translated document ready in 2 weeks and 6 days...however the payment will be through certified bank check which will be in euro so get back to me with your name and address with phone number where the payment will be mail to so we can proceed from there also am ready to make 50% down payment so you can start,awaits your mail soon.

Regards,
Leigh.

Amanda Leigh,
4100 SW 95th Ave. Ste. B,
Cooper City, FL 33328,
U.S.A."

[Edited at 2011-07-01 11:05 GMT]
Collapse

Paula Cook
Paula Cook  Identity Verified
French to English
SCAM Jul 1, 2011

I just got this email today. Sound familiar?

Morning,

English to French.

... See more
I just got this email today. Sound familiar?

Morning,

English to French.

Regards,
Leigh.

Amanda Leigh,
Cooper City, FL 33328,
U.S.A.
Collapse

Adela Van Gils
Adela Van Gils  Identity Verified
Netherlands
German to Dutch
+ ...
Dear colleagues, Jul 2, 2011

While on holidays I got a job offer to translate around 4000 words on malaria. I denied the job, but sent my word price for future assignments.

Strangly enough they came back to me saying that the job was assigned to me, and agreed on my word price, but would pay by bank check. As I never accept checks, and dont trust yahoo addresses, plus never had agreed on the job, I pasted their address in google, and guess, I entered this Proz page.

The address I got the email off
... See more
While on holidays I got a job offer to translate around 4000 words on malaria. I denied the job, but sent my word price for future assignments.

Strangly enough they came back to me saying that the job was assigned to me, and agreed on my word price, but would pay by bank check. As I never accept checks, and dont trust yahoo addresses, plus never had agreed on the job, I pasted their address in google, and guess, I entered this Proz page.

The address I got the email offer from is:
Amanda Leigh,
Cooper City, FL 33328,
U.S.A.

Thanks to all of you for the info.

Adela
Collapse

SuzanneNievaart
SuzanneNievaart  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:34
Spanish to English
+ ...
I received the same Jul 3, 2011

I received the same e-mail from Amanda Leigh, saying that I had been assigned the job even though I had never agreed to it, promising a bank cheque as a 50% down payment, which is strange, and the grammatical errors in English, especially when the address is in Florida, already had me suspicious when I opened the first email. The initial email did not even mention which target language they wanted. After asking, the reply was Dutch. Now I am pretty certain it is a scam, because the other transla... See more
I received the same e-mail from Amanda Leigh, saying that I had been assigned the job even though I had never agreed to it, promising a bank cheque as a 50% down payment, which is strange, and the grammatical errors in English, especially when the address is in Florida, already had me suspicious when I opened the first email. The initial email did not even mention which target language they wanted. After asking, the reply was Dutch. Now I am pretty certain it is a scam, because the other translators on this forum have all been assigned the same project. How many translations into Dutch do they need?
Not trusting yahoo addresses is a good idea, as they have never been transparent about who they are, and what they need the translation for.
Any suggestions as to how we should respond to these scammers?
If we all band together with the same response, I am sure we can dissuade them from abusing the proz.com website in the future.
Collapse

hazmatgerman (X)
hazmatgerman (X)
English to German
When will Jul 3, 2011

they ever learn. With Kevin Fulton.
If it smells like ... and looks like ... and feels like ...: chances are it is ...

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

feels and smells like a scam

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »