Taylor Kirk
Taylor Kirk  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:22
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Oct 4, 2010

Hello all,

I recently responded to a unilateral request for rates and resume etc., and sent them. The project coordinator responded saying great, everything looks good, please do this sample. I did the sample and was then sent papers to fill out, as usual. I printed the Service Agreement and looked over it, and the rate stated was $.03 per source word, which is so far from my quoted rate as to clearly be a typo. However, after contacting him, he replied that it was not, and
... See more
Hello all,

I recently responded to a unilateral request for rates and resume etc., and sent them. The project coordinator responded saying great, everything looks good, please do this sample. I did the sample and was then sent papers to fill out, as usual. I printed the Service Agreement and looked over it, and the rate stated was $.03 per source word, which is so far from my quoted rate as to clearly be a typo. However, after contacting him, he replied that it was not, and that his cap rate was $.03 per source word for Spanish to English translation.

I am angry that he was fully aware of my rate, yet still got me to do a sample and nearly send all the paperwork. In all of our email correspondence, my rate was in the subject line (from my original quote email). He never mentioned anything about his rate of $.03 per source word. That's why I have included this complaint in the scam section. It was extremely deceptive.

Questions:

1) This service provider and the PM are not on the Blue Board. Am I allowed to give their details here in the forum? I really, really want to, since the company solicited info and a quote from me, and I'd like for translators to know not to respond to this guy.

2) Has this happened to anyone else, being given a ridiculous rate AFTER quoting your rate and doing samples?

Happy week to all,
Taylor
Collapse

4leavedClover
4leavedClover  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 08:22
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
It has happened to me, too Oct 4, 2010

And usually AFTER quoting my rates and doing the sample. Frankly I am tired of doing test translations and being offered almost nothing for my service after that. I used to think these were only "yellow" agencies but recently I did quite a difficult test translation for a seriously looking agency (from my country) and the result was an offer which was way below my lowest rates. Since one cannot make a living on such rates, I'd rather spend my time doing something else. You live and learn... See more
And usually AFTER quoting my rates and doing the sample. Frankly I am tired of doing test translations and being offered almost nothing for my service after that. I used to think these were only "yellow" agencies but recently I did quite a difficult test translation for a seriously looking agency (from my country) and the result was an offer which was way below my lowest rates. Since one cannot make a living on such rates, I'd rather spend my time doing something else. You live and learnCollapse

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
. Oct 4, 2010

You should definitely do a BlueBoard entry - after all, it's not necessarily about their payment habits, but about the likelihood of your working with them again, which in your case is zero.

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:22
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
How to avoid this problem Oct 4, 2010

In my experience it is not enough to include the rate in your email subject, on your resume or profile page. Some agencies/PMs just don't read it.
I never do a test translation unless the requester positively confirms that my normal rates are within his "budget", in other words, they are willing to pay that rate if the test is accepted. I state this very clearly when they request a test.
If I don't get a reply, or they say "we will discuss rates after the test" or give me some other
... See more
In my experience it is not enough to include the rate in your email subject, on your resume or profile page. Some agencies/PMs just don't read it.
I never do a test translation unless the requester positively confirms that my normal rates are within his "budget", in other words, they are willing to pay that rate if the test is accepted. I state this very clearly when they request a test.
If I don't get a reply, or they say "we will discuss rates after the test" or give me some other wishy-washy reply, such as "I think we will come to an agreement" without clear confirmation that my rates are in the ballpark, I just don't do their test. End of story.

As to philgoddard's comment:
Please remember you can only enter a Blue Board comment if you actually worked for the client. Doing an unpaid test, or having preliminary negotiations, discussions with them is not enough.

Katalin
Collapse

Taylor Kirk
Taylor Kirk  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:22
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Learned a Lesson Oct 5, 2010

So this one is for the books I guess. Since I can't post on the Blue Board I suppose others just have to use their best judgment if they receive correspondence from this guy.

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
You can inform people via private email, if they ask Oct 5, 2010

If people reading this thread contact you, I guess you can tell them who this person is.

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
I never do test translations Oct 5, 2010

I have never done a test translation in 18 years! The only exception is for a long-time client who requests a free test translation to bid on a specific project.

Secondly, I never work without a purchase order. Therefore, even if I signed this crazy agreement, I would have caught the low-rate before starting the job.

If people want to work for .03 a word, let them. They will never advance in life.

[Edited at 2010-10-05 02:02 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Company tried to sneak crazy low rate into Service Agreement

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »