Tia Muller
Tia Muller  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:10
English to French
+ ...
Mar 24, 2016

Hi!

I am experiencing issues with Swift when I upload a 23fps video.

First of all, Swift thinks that the video is at 25fps. Then, the second issue arises when I manually change the settings to 23.976fps (I do not have a setting for 23fps), a discrepancy then arises between the burnt-in timecode and swift timecode. By the end of the clip, which was in this case only 6 min, I have a discrepancy of 9 seconds.

I have only ever had this issue with 23fps videos
... See more
Hi!

I am experiencing issues with Swift when I upload a 23fps video.

First of all, Swift thinks that the video is at 25fps. Then, the second issue arises when I manually change the settings to 23.976fps (I do not have a setting for 23fps), a discrepancy then arises between the burnt-in timecode and swift timecode. By the end of the clip, which was in this case only 6 min, I have a discrepancy of 9 seconds.

I have only ever had this issue with 23fps videos.

I have written in the past to the technical support for Swift and never received any answer from them, so I was hoping that someone here might have had a similar problem and found a solution.

Thank you for reading and helping out,

Tia
Collapse

Max Deryagin
Max Deryagin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 21:10
Member (2013)
English to Russian
- Mar 24, 2016

Hi Tia,

Where do you get these 23 fps videos? I've never seen a 23 fps video anywhere. Don't you mean 24 fps by any chance?

Faustine.Rou (X)
Faustine.Rou (X)
Local time: 17:10
English to French
update + TSD Mar 24, 2016

Hi Tia,

You might need to have your software updated. I had the same problem until they sent me the new version. You may have to pay (a lot!) though.

Also, it will help a lot if your client sends you the TSD file. This will force Swift to follow the video's timecode, whatever it is.

I hope that helps and good luck !

Tia Muller
Spain
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
23fps it was Mar 24, 2016

As strange as it sounds, it is a 23fps video.

Tia Muller
Spain
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the advice! Mar 24, 2016

I will ask the client next time for the TSD file, although this time they just decided to go with someone else as it was less headache for them.

Max Deryagin
Russian Federation
Member (2013)
English to Russian
- Mar 24, 2016

Tia Muller, PhD wrote:

I wonder what's used to capture that. I'd tell my client in this situation that they need to update their hardware if they have such an odd output.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 13:10
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
23 FPS Mar 24, 2016

Max Deryagin wrote:

Tia Muller, PhD wrote:

I wonder what's used to capture that. I'd tell my client in this situation that they need to update their hardware if they have such an odd output.

Weird as it may seem, Subtitle Workshop v6 has, among its various input standards:
23.97 FPS
23.976 FPS
23.978 FPS
24 FPS

Any Video Converter Pro has:
23.976 FPS
24 FPS

I could go on checking, but the clue I see is that there should be NO 23.000 FPS video around.

Of course, 24 FPS was originally born from film, 16 mm and Sound Super-8 telecine, and its near-misses from drop-frames in digital video afterwards.

Maybe this "slight" difference is accruing over the playing time and causing the slippage.

Tia Muller
Spain
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, that's right. Mar 24, 2016

I think so too that this is what is happening, José, with Swift. It has to be.
However, I am glad to see that you pro guys also see that it is strange to have 23fps videos.
I just hope that it won't happen again in the future.

Max Deryagin
Russian Federation
Member (2013)
English to Russian
- Mar 24, 2016

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

Any Video Converter Pro has:
23.976 FPS
24 FPS

I could go on checking, but the clue I see is that there should be NO 23.000 FPS video around.

Of course, 24 FPS was originally born from film, 16 mm and Sound Super-8 telecine, and its near-misses from drop-frames in digital video afterwards.

Maybe this "slight" difference is accruing over the playing time and causing the slippage.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. There's 24p that's then converted to 23.976 for NTSC or 25 for PAL/SECAM. What in the world is 23 fps? How do you get it even?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Issue with Swift and 23fps videos

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »