Thread poster: Renato Pavicic
Renato Pavicic
Renato Pavicic
Local time: 10:33
English to Croatian
+ ...
Jun 14, 2006

Hi!
I just got subtitling job and the company that hired me wants me to use PMWin. I installed the app, but had done nothing yet, still waiting for the movie.

I have a lot of experience with Subtitle Workshop and had done some DVDs for private collection, so I would appreciate comparison with SWshop

Thanks!
Renato

Cristiana Coblis
Cristiana Coblis  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 11:33
Member (2004)
English to Romanian
+ ...
PMWin Jun 14, 2006

I have used this software, but I have not worked with Subtitle Workshop.

PMWin is not difficult to use. What you really need is to be careful about the settings you make in the beginning of the project and follow the instructions from the client for these. The same goes for the final checks and validations that need to be performed. Also, you may find useful to learn and use the shortcut keys, it speeds up the process a great deal.

HTH and good luck...
See more
I have used this software, but I have not worked with Subtitle Workshop.

PMWin is not difficult to use. What you really need is to be careful about the settings you make in the beginning of the project and follow the instructions from the client for these. The same goes for the final checks and validations that need to be performed. Also, you may find useful to learn and use the shortcut keys, it speeds up the process a great deal.

HTH and good luck
Collapse

Fiona van der Lingen
Fiona van der Lingen
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
PMWin Jul 25, 2006

Hello,

Could you please inform me about where I can download PMWin? I am now using TV2003EDIT, but it (of course since it is the edit version) is not really working.

Thanks!!

Kind regards,
Fiona

Renato Pavicic
Renato Pavicic
English to Croatian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
PMWin Jul 25, 2006

Hi,

I think that PMWin is not free to distribute/sell. I've just started to work for one company, and they sent me PMWin, together with USB dongle. It does not work without dongle, nor without the serial key that I was given by that company.

And before that, I had to sign NDA and various contracts.

If I had an option, I would not use this app. I realy hate it. You can't so some most basic things that you can do in any other app. Like "undo" - you undo all o
... See more
Hi,

I think that PMWin is not free to distribute/sell. I've just started to work for one company, and they sent me PMWin, together with USB dongle. It does not work without dongle, nor without the serial key that I was given by that company.

And before that, I had to sign NDA and various contracts.

If I had an option, I would not use this app. I realy hate it. You can't so some most basic things that you can do in any other app. Like "undo" - you undo all or nothing!

Do not take it unless your employer demands so. If you are interested I coul compile a list of all the thing I don't like.

BR
Renato

[Edited at 2006-07-25 11:56]

[Edited at 2006-07-26 13:36]
Collapse

theangel
theangel  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2006)
Swedish to Italian
+ ...
laptop Aug 24, 2006

Hi all,
I am new to this program and I am just trying to work on a practice file. My problem is with time cueing. I heard that it's preferrable to use a normal keyboard, I am using a laptop, is this the problem? What keys can I use instead of the ones usually used with a normal keyboard?

As you understand I am at abc thank you for your patience and help.

Regards

Renato Pavicic
Renato Pavicic
English to Croatian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
laptop Aug 24, 2006

Hi,

You can assign Keyboard shortcuts (Settings menu), but I am not sure how excatelly it works. Currently I am doing only plain translating, no cueing, and I need only following keys:
-PgUp and PgDn for next/previous sub
-alt+arrowRigh to start the movie
-alt+arrowDown to stop it
-ctr+E to center the text

Initially when I started with translating I did some cueing and I used:
-shift+F1 to split sub (at cursor position within the sub)
... See more
Hi,

You can assign Keyboard shortcuts (Settings menu), but I am not sure how excatelly it works. Currently I am doing only plain translating, no cueing, and I need only following keys:
-PgUp and PgDn for next/previous sub
-alt+arrowRigh to start the movie
-alt+arrowDown to stop it
-ctr+E to center the text

Initially when I started with translating I did some cueing and I used:
-shift+F1 to split sub (at cursor position within the sub)
-shift+F2 to merge sub (with next sub)
-F8 to insert sub (after current sub)
-shift+F8 to delete sub

And to adjust in/out time I clicked with mouse in corresponding cue box, and either typed in new value or used mouswheel to "scroll" time/frames. When setting the new value you gotta hit ENTER, to confirm it I guess, before moving to next sub.

I think that a mouse could make more difference than just using the keys?

Alternatively you can press TAB 2 times to get into cue-in, and then you rotate between cour-out, duration, sub...

As Cristiana Coblis mentioned, learning the shortcuts could improve your work. I had some trouble cos some of them correspond to trados, and I ended up with udesirable effects. I reccomend fixing them on what you are accustomed to.
Collapse

theangel
theangel  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2006)
Swedish to Italian
+ ...
Renato Aug 24, 2006

Thank you for your kind help, I'm going to try to follow your advice and see what happens

pike
pike  Identity Verified
Croatia
Member (2004)
English to Croatian
+ ...
handling .pac files Sep 20, 2006

Hi Renato, I hear PMWin is supposed to be able to handle .pac files, but I cannot open a .pac file using PMWin... any pointers?

Renato Pavicic
Renato Pavicic
English to Croatian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
pac files Sep 20, 2006

Hi,

Yes, PMWin can handle pac files, but for that you need appopriate licence key.

There are two types of licence keys: one can handle only pmw and rtf files, and second one handles pac as well.

You have to contact the company that sent you the dongle, and explain them (accentuate) that you need different licence key.

If your copy of PMWin cannot open pac files, either your employer does not want you to use pac files, or they made simple mist
... See more
Hi,

Yes, PMWin can handle pac files, but for that you need appopriate licence key.

There are two types of licence keys: one can handle only pmw and rtf files, and second one handles pac as well.

You have to contact the company that sent you the dongle, and explain them (accentuate) that you need different licence key.

If your copy of PMWin cannot open pac files, either your employer does not want you to use pac files, or they made simple mistake while creating the licence key.

I do not remeber excatelly, but I beleive that term for licence key is feature key?

Hope this helps
Renato

[Edited at 2006-09-20 03:43]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

PMWin - comment on usage needed

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »