How to insert the target terms of a termbase in the target segments of a Trados file?
Thread poster: Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Local time: 04:41
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Nov 30, 2023

Hi experts,

I have SDL Trados Studio 2021. I received a sdlxliff file from one of my clients in which target terms of a termbase replaced the source text in all the target segments of that file. It is a great and helpful feature as I sometimes seek the help of my translator friends (who don't use Trados) in translating the big but time-bound projects. Since they can't use Trados, I have to provide them the Termbase glossary in a MS Excel and MS word file separately. As a result,
... See more
Hi experts,

I have SDL Trados Studio 2021. I received a sdlxliff file from one of my clients in which target terms of a termbase replaced the source text in all the target segments of that file. It is a great and helpful feature as I sometimes seek the help of my translator friends (who don't use Trados) in translating the big but time-bound projects. Since they can't use Trados, I have to provide them the Termbase glossary in a MS Excel and MS word file separately. As a result, they have to refer to the glossary frequently while translating those documents in MS Word format. And sometimes, they miss to use a glossary entry and I have to change and replace such glossary entries while finalizing the file.

Can someone tell me how can I insert the target terms of a termbase in the target segments of a sdlxliff file by replacing the source text?

Thanks and regards,

Chopra

[Edited at 2023-11-30 17:26 GMT]
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 02:11
English to Russian
txml Nov 30, 2023

There is no option to automatically replace terms in one go in Trados. Your file seems to be a Wordfast file. Is that right? I wonder then how Wordfast decides which equivalent to use when a term has synonyms...

expressisverbis

Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Local time: 04:41
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Oh sorry, I meant sdlxliff file Nov 30, 2023

Stepan Konev wrote:

There is no option to automatically replace terms in one go in Trados. Your file seems to be a Wordfast file. Is that right? I wonder then how Wordfast decides which equivalent to use when a term has synonyms...

You are right. I inadvertently wrote "txml." In fact, I should have written "sdlxliff." I have made an error. I will try to edit it, if it is possible to do it.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TermInjector Nov 30, 2023

Look for TermInjector in the app store.

https://appstore.rws.com/Plugin/75

The purpose of TermInjector is to save the translator's time by inserting translations for known terms and by performing recurring modifications automatically.

[Edited at 2023-11-30 20:55 GMT]

James Plastow
James Plastow  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:11
Member (2020)
Japanese to English
Excel Nov 30, 2023

You can batch replace terms in Excel. Try googling "batch find and replace in Excel".

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to insert the target terms of a termbase in the target segments of a Trados file?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »