Mette Melchior
Mette Melchior  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 15:14
English to Danish
+ ...
Also smaller files (and a note regarding concordance search) May 11, 2011

Krzysztof Kajetanowicz wrote:

Does everybody who has problems encounter them with very large files (several thousand segments) only?

As I mentioned in my first post, I have also experienced this with smaller files, even with files that only contained a couple of hundred segments. So I think Ulf might be right that it has more to do with the TMs you use and maybe also the file format.

To Ulf and Natalie: If you are not happy with the concordance search, I would recommend you try ApSIC Xbench (it's free). It is much quicker and much more reliable and versatile than both Trados and WFP's concordance search - especially if you are searching for specific terms. Big TMs can take a long time to load when you first load the project but then it finds *everything* almost instantly, regardless the size of the memory.

I also load the DGT-TM in Xbench for concordance search and then just leave it to load while I make a cup of coffee or read the news.

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 16:14
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Thanks! May 11, 2011

Mette Melchior wrote:

Hello Heinrich,

You can also change to text view directly from the editor window by clicking the Text tab in the bottom left corner. This works for me.

I hadn't noticed that. It really works. But in Preferences > View it is still Table view which is checked.
I like WFP most of the time

Yasmin Moslem
Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
English to Arabic
Text View May 11, 2011

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Mette Melchior wrote:

Hello Heinrich,

You can also change to text view directly from the editor window by clicking the Text tab in the bottom left corner. This works for me.

I hadn't noticed that. It really works. But in Preferences > View it is still Table view which is checked.
I like WFP most of the time

Dear Heinrich,

I am happy that Mette got your problem. Now as you managed to switch to the Text View, you can select "Last View Used" in Edit > Preferences > Views to keep it the same whenever you open WF Pro.

Happy Wordfasting!

Yasmin

[Edited at 2011-05-11 18:08 GMT]

Alex Lago
Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Maybe forget about numbers May 12, 2011

One option Wordfast programmers might consider is giving us the possibility of not memorizing segments that are just number or dates, i.e. any segment that only has numbers and punctuation marks (/ , . + - etc) does not get stored or looked at in the TM.

Right now the advantage I get with memorized dates and numbers (which are very few anyway) is far outweighed by having to wait for the TM to look up a "number" segment.

I don't think it would be that difficult to imple
... See more
One option Wordfast programmers might consider is giving us the possibility of not memorizing segments that are just number or dates, i.e. any segment that only has numbers and punctuation marks (/ , . + - etc) does not get stored or looked at in the TM.

Right now the advantage I get with memorized dates and numbers (which are very few anyway) is far outweighed by having to wait for the TM to look up a "number" segment.

I don't think it would be that difficult to implement, if a segment has no letters it does not get stored in the TM or looked for, this would greatly increase the speed of the program and I really don't think much would be lost, like I say the amount of repeat numbers and dates does not outweigh the loss of speed.
Collapse

Alex Lago
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Just noticed does not use quad-core Jul 16, 2011

Just notice that the javaw.exe process that runs concurrently with wordfast.exe process is the one that does most of the processing when using Wordfast on my PC.

I have also noticed that this process does not take advantage of quad-core (or dual-core for that matter) processing, as the maximum CPU % it uses is 25% (i.e. one core).

AS java does support multiple cores it would seem Wordfast is not taking this into consideration when implementing their Java Machine I would
... See more
Just notice that the javaw.exe process that runs concurrently with wordfast.exe process is the one that does most of the processing when using Wordfast on my PC.

I have also noticed that this process does not take advantage of quad-core (or dual-core for that matter) processing, as the maximum CPU % it uses is 25% (i.e. one core).

AS java does support multiple cores it would seem Wordfast is not taking this into consideration when implementing their Java Machine I would suggest this is looked into for future upgrades as CPU's will only continue to have more and more cores and programs need to be specifically programmed to take advantage of multiple cores.
Collapse

Yasmin Moslem
Egypt
English to Arabic
javaw.exe Jul 16, 2011

Dear Alex,

Your input seems interesting to me.

How do you know what WFP actually uses? When you right-click "javaw.exe" and select "Set Affinity", what do you have?

Also, does changing the "Set Priority" value help?

Could you please elaborate on your thought. Many thanks in advance!

Yasmin

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Finnish to French
Set Affinity Jul 17, 2011

Yasmin Moslem wrote:
How do you know what WFP actually uses? When you right-click "javaw.exe" and select "Set Affinity", what do you have?

Interesting, I had never heard about this "Set Affinity" thing! So I started WFP 2.4.2, right-clicked javaw.exe and selected "Set Affinity": there, all three options (All Processors, CPU 0, CPU 1) are ticked. The processor on my laptop is an Intel Core 2 Duo U9400.

[Edited at 2011-07-17 06:40 GMT]

Alex Lago
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Set affinity done Jul 17, 2011

Hi

I was aware of the java set affinity option and I have all the CPUs checked which as far as I know means the program can access all the CPUs (which does not happen when running Wordfast).

The priority value is set at Normal

Alex Lago
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Each box = 1 CPU Jul 17, 2011

Dominique Pivard wrote:

Yasmin Moslem wrote:

Interesting, I had never heard about this "Set Affinity" thing! So I started WFP 2.4.2, right-clicked javaw.exe and selected "Set Affinity": there, all three options (All Processors, CPU 0, CPU 1) are ticked. The processor on my laptop is an Intel Core 2 Duo U9400.

[Edited at 2011-07-17 06:40 GMT]

Hi Dominique

The set affinity option tells Java which CPUs to work with, as you have a dual core processor that means you have 2 CPUs, CPU 0 and CPU 1, the set affinity option tells Java which CPUs it can access, in your case either All CPUs or just CPU 0 or just CPU 1, as you have all the options checked it means it can access all the processors. If you had a quad core processor like me you would have 5 options, All CPUs, CPU 0, CPU 1, CPU 2 and CPU 3.

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
Try to alleviate the slowness through workarounds Jul 18, 2011

Alex Lago wrote:
The set affinity option tells Java which CPUs to work with, as you have a dual core processor that means you have 2 CPUs, CPU 0 and CPU 1, the set affinity option tells Java which CPUs it can access, in your case either All CPUs or just CPU 0 or just CPU 1, as you have all the options checked it means it can access all the processors. If you had a quad core processor like me you would have 5 options, All CPUs, CPU 0, CPU 1, CPU 2 and CPU 3.

Thanks for the explanation! My feeling is that with a document that contains 6000 segments, you are reaching the limits of the current design of Wordfast Pro, no matter how many cores your computer has. As workarounds, you should try switching to text view (as suggested by Yasmin) and/or splitting your document into smaller chunks.

Alex Lago
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's what I do Jul 18, 2011

Dominique Pivard wrote:

Alex Lago wrote:

Thanks for the explanation! My feeling is that with a document that contains 6000 segments, you are reaching the limits of the current design of Wordfast Pro, no matter how many cores your computer has. As workarounds, you should try switching to text view (as suggested by Yasmin) and/or splitting your document into smaller chunks.

That is what I do, however I often get excel files to translate (I do a lot of financial statements, etc.) and these problems are always worse with Excel files (number of segments, lot of numbers, etc.). I also very often get very large projects and I feel Wordfast's programmers need to work on their program being quicker, which means programming it for quad/dual etc. processors.

I don't agree that a 6000 segment document is approaching Wordfast's limit, the problem is core use, if I am only using 25% of my CPU the program can only reach 1/4 of it's maximum speed, if I was using 100% I could go 4 times quicker.

Dominique Pivard
Finnish to French
I don't think it's that simple Jul 18, 2011

Alex Lago wrote:
the problem is core use, if I am only using 25% of my CPU the program can only reach 1/4 of it's maximum speed, if I was using 100% I could go 4 times quicker.

I'm not a programmer, but I don't think it's that simple: you can't just assume that because a program only uses 25% of your CPU, it would run four times quicker by using 100% of it. Programs have to behave nicely towards other programs running concurrently, they just can't grab all available CPU power to themselves.

Also, decent performance has to be possible without relying solely on raw CPU power, because not everyone has super-fast quad-core systems.

I therefore believe other techniques must be used to increase performance. For instance, some other tools include the possibility to isolate lone-standing numbers, translate them in block and then lock them (you can also choose not to have them displayed in the editor): this could be one (IMO smarter) way to deal with your large Excel files.

Alex Lago
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not that simple Jul 18, 2011

Dominique Pivard wrote:

I'm not a programmer, but I don't think it's that simple: you can't just assume that because a program only uses 25% of your CPU, it would run four times quicker by using 100% of it. Programs have to behave nicely towards other programs running concurrently, they just can't grab all available CPU power to themselves.

You are right it is not that simple, I was really just illustrating my point, you do have to bear in mind the usage from other programs, however if you stop unwanted services and give a program real time priority you can get that program to use the maximum amount of CPU possible, which does not occur with Wordfast.

Also, decent performance has to be possible without relying solely on raw CPU power, because not everyone has super-fast quad-core systems.

Well yes, but in theory it is like anything else, if you want to use the latest version of a program your CPU has to be fairly "recent".

I therefore believe other techniques must be used to increase performance. For instance, some other tools include the possibility to isolate lone-standing numbers, translate them in block and then lock them (you can also choose not to have them displayed in the editor): this could be one (IMO smarter) way to deal with your large Excel files.

That would be a great way to go about it in the case of large Excel files, let's hope Wordfast can implement something like that

Yasmin Moslem
Egypt
English to Arabic
Hide Jul 18, 2011

Alex Lago wrote:

That would be a great way to go about it in the case of large Excel files, let's hope Wordfast can implement something like that

Dear Alex,

WFP does NOT import two sorts for numbers: those without any separators, and formulas.

As for other sorts of numbers, if they are rather blocks (rows or columns), you can hide them on the source Excel file so that Wordfast Pro will NOT import them.

HTH,
Yasmin

Alex Lago
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Should include separators Jul 18, 2011

Yasmin Moslem wrote:

Dear Alex,

WFP does NOT import two sorts for numbers: those without any separators, and formulas.

As for other sorts of numbers, if they are rather blocks (rows or columns), you can hide them on the source Excel file so that Wordfast Pro will NOT import them.

HTH,
Yasmin

By separators, you mean "thousand" and "decimal" separators correct?

Unfortunately most of the files I receive have separators as it is very rare to receive an excel file with numbers that have no decimals. So I was not aware that it did not import numbers without separators as I never have any of those.

I imagine the reason to import the numbers with separators is because depending on the language pair that is being translated the separators may need to be changed to match the target language.

However in the case of large excel files it is a lot quicker using "find and replace" to change all the separators in a couple of clicks, so if it were possible to have an option telling Wordfast not to import numbers with separators, this would be good.

It is not always possible to eliminate rows or columns because of the specific sheet layout

[Edited at 2011-07-18 10:57 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Frustrated with how slow Wordfast Pro can be

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »