How to automatically insert the target terms of a glossary in all target segments of txml file?
Thread poster: Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Local time: 14:31
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Jan 29, 2016

Hi experts,

I have WF Pro 3.4.5. Sometimes, I get txml files from one of my clients in which source text is already pasted in all target segments. But target segments contain the Hindi translation of certain terms which appear in the source segments. In other words, certain English words in the target segments are replaced by the Hindi words which I am required to use in the translation.

I assume that he does so by means of applying a glossary. It proves helpful
... See more
Hi experts,

I have WF Pro 3.4.5. Sometimes, I get txml files from one of my clients in which source text is already pasted in all target segments. But target segments contain the Hindi translation of certain terms which appear in the source segments. In other words, certain English words in the target segments are replaced by the Hindi words which I am required to use in the translation.

I assume that he does so by means of applying a glossary. It proves helpful because it automatically provides the translation of difficult English words and one does not need to refer the dictionary or online dictionaries. I requested him to explain the procedure for doing so but he is unwilling.

Could you please tell the method for doing this?

Thanks and regards,

Chopra

[Edited at 2016-01-29 16:11 GMT]
Collapse

P Forgas
P Forgas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 06:01
Portuguese to Spanish
+ ...
find and replace Jan 29, 2016

maybe they simply apply a find a replace process?

P.

Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Method Jan 29, 2016

Thank you Forgas for your quick reply. Could you please explain it? One has to insert a word in replace box in order to replace something.

Regards,

Chopra

P Forgas wrote:

maybe they simply apply a find a replace process?

P.

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:01
Finnish to French
The logical ways to do it do not work Jan 29, 2016

Unfortunately, it looks like neither Translation Memory > Translate all (with Copy source on no match ticked under Edit > Preferences > Translation Memory) in the TXML editor, nor Analyze (with Pretranslate and Copy source on no match ticked) in the PM Perspective will do it. With of course either Copy only target terms, or Copy both source and target terms selected under Edit > Preferences > Terminology.

I would have ex
... See more
Unfortunately, it looks like neither Translation Memory > Translate all (with Copy source on no match ticked under Edit > Preferences > Translation Memory) in the TXML editor, nor Analyze (with Pretranslate and Copy source on no match ticked) in the PM Perspective will do it. With of course either Copy only target terms, or Copy both source and target terms selected under Edit > Preferences > Terminology.

I would have expected it to be the ways to achieve what you want, unless I’m missing something obvious.

It does work for individual segments in the TXML editor, with Copy Source (Alt+Insert). So you could have a macro (AutoHotKey) that keeps pressing Alt+Insert and Alt+Down from beginning to end...
Collapse

Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Surprising Jan 30, 2016

I thought it was a simple issue which a newbie like me could not understand but I am astonished when even experts are unable to comprehend it properly.

Dominique Pivard wrote:

It does work for individual segments in the TXML editor, with Copy Source (Alt+Insert). So you could have a macro (AutoHotKey) that keeps pressing Alt+Insert and Alt+Down from beginning to end...

When I use Alt+Insert, the source text is inserted in the target segment and the translation for the concerned term(s) is not inserted. Am I missing something?

Thanks and regards,

Chopra

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:01
Finnish to French
Relevant option under Preferences must be selected Jan 30, 2016

chopra_2002 wrote:
When I use Alt+Insert, the source text is inserted in the target segment and the translation for the concerned term(s) is not inserted. Am I missing something?

As I said, you need to have one of the following two options selected (under Edit > Preferences > Terminology):

Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks so much Jan 30, 2016

I thank you for your valuable guidance. Yes, it works now.

Thanks and regards,

Chopra

Dominique Pivard wrote:

chopra_2002 wrote:

As I said, you need to have one of the following two options selected (under Edit > Preferences > Terminology):

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to automatically insert the target terms of a glossary in all target segments of txml file?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »