Thread poster: archenar
archenar
archenar
Local time: 07:04
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Apr 14, 2016

Hello, all!

I have been using Wordfast for quite a while, however, after switching between all the versions of the program, I still cannot find one that suits me and I was wondering if anyone could help me with this, even if recommending another CAT tool.

My problem is: Wordfast Classic was the best thing on Earth, because it allowed me to simply switch the languages of the TMs and glossaries I had. See, I have a lot of translations that are normally about the same thin
... See more
Hello, all!

I have been using Wordfast for quite a while, however, after switching between all the versions of the program, I still cannot find one that suits me and I was wondering if anyone could help me with this, even if recommending another CAT tool.

My problem is: Wordfast Classic was the best thing on Earth, because it allowed me to simply switch the languages of the TMs and glossaries I had. See, I have a lot of translations that are normally about the same thing, but often EN-PT and then PT-EN. Thus, simply inverting the language pair was perfect, since it would maintain all TMs and glossaries updated all the time and I would not have to have any additional work trying to find a way to update everything. However, I had to upgrade to Wordfast Pro, because of the documents I had to start translating. And Wordfast Pro is just dandy for a lot of things. Not for this that I need so much. I have to use the program in order to handle the files I have to translate nowadays, however, I have no idea how I can keep my TMs and glossaries updated from one language to the other. Thus, I had to do it the hard way -- because I simply do not know another way to do it. On Wordfast Pro, I export my glossary or TM. Then, import it on Wordfast Classic and invert the languages. Then, go back to Wordfast Pro, import the file into my existing glossary. However, both glossaries never ever have a similar number of terms. I understand that some terms are duplicate and are not imported or something like that. But my glossaries have a gap of maybe 2,000 terms between them. That's a whole lot. Then, I never know if everything is there, if both glossaries are the same thing or whatever other option there may be.

My question is: is there an easier way to do that? I have tried to use Olifant to edit all these things and it works wonders for TMs, but does not read my glossaries.

My dream scenario: A CAT tool that would allow me to create a number of projects in one language pair and simply invert this pair as new files arrive and it is required. (For example: Project 1 - first file in PT-EN. I use a glossary and a TM in PT-EN. Second file in EN-PT. I simply invert all the things and translate as usual, instead of having to create another glossary, another TM, invert the existing ones, importing them into the new ones, etc, etc.)

It may be a very stupid way of doing things, but so far I cannot find anything easier. Can anybody please help?

Thanks in advance!!

A.
Collapse

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:04
English to French
+ ...
Use this trick Apr 14, 2016

This post explains how to prepare non-Word file formats in WfPro so they can be translated using Wf Classic:

http://wordfast.fi/blog/cat-tools/2012/03/04/translate-any-format-in-wordfast-classic-with-wordfast-pro-3/

archenar
archenar
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Great tip, but... Apr 14, 2016

Thank you so much for your tip. I took a look at the video and all the steps I need to take, imagine how long it would take for a very large file. I mean, it's better than nothings, but I was wondering if there is a program that can allow me to edit the glossaries and TMs faster, manage entries, delete, etc, etc.

Or a CAT tool that gives me the functionalities of Wordfast Pro, when the possibility of having a single TM and glossary per project, without requiring me to export, revers
... See more
Thank you so much for your tip. I took a look at the video and all the steps I need to take, imagine how long it would take for a very large file. I mean, it's better than nothings, but I was wondering if there is a program that can allow me to edit the glossaries and TMs faster, manage entries, delete, etc, etc.

Or a CAT tool that gives me the functionalities of Wordfast Pro, when the possibility of having a single TM and glossary per project, without requiring me to export, reverse, import step. I mean, I am not a very advanced user of Wordfast or other CAT tools, thus, I wonder how people survive. Is that really how things are done in all softwares available?

Thank you so much,

A.
Collapse

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:04
English to French
+ ...
other CAT tools Apr 14, 2016

I've been using WfClassic for over 10 years. I have using WfPro and MemoQ (2013) for a few years.

I have not been impressed by glossary management, if the term can even be used at all.

One thing where WfC beats the other two is that INI files can be created and customized for not only each customer, but even for each project.

P Forgas
P Forgas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Portuguese to Spanish
+ ...
WFC glossaries Apr 14, 2016

WFC glossaries are simple lists of terms separated by commas. You can open them, convert them in tables and copy a column to the right to switch the languages. On Microsoft word it is cumbersome but you can use notepad++ or other software.

I'm not very techy at all but I've been doing this for ages now.

Then I import them to memoq, wich I've learned to like more.

P.

Dan Ilioiu
Dan Ilioiu  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 13:04
English to Romanian
+ ...
inverted TM Apr 15, 2016

Hi, archenar!

The TM inversion is very simple.
Go to "TM Perspective" - little barrel on the left side menu. There you see all the TMs loaded in WF_PRO.
Right click the one you want to invert and choose "Invert languages".
A dialog will open, where you can save the inverted TM.
Then, you load the new TM in WF_
... See more
Hi, archenar!

The TM inversion is very simple.
Go to "TM Perspective" - little barrel on the left side menu. There you see all the TMs loaded in WF_PRO.
Right click the one you want to invert and choose "Invert languages".
A dialog will open, where you can save the inverted TM.
Then, you load the new TM in WF_PRO.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0LxsuGJToGIWU03N216Vkw1VmM

For the glossaries, the only method I know is to export them, load the exported file in Excel, exchange the source and target columns and save the file as CSV.
Then, import the new csv file in WF_PRO glossaries.

Your dream is a nice one, I have it, too, from time to time.

Cheers!
Collapse

insoo kim

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 12:04
Member (2006)
French to English
How to do this in WFP 4… Apr 15, 2016

Hi everyone,

I struggled with this in WFP4 so I thought I would share how to do the same…

Open a project containing the TM.
Go to the "Project TM" tab.
Click on "Copy TM".
Give it a name and location and tick the box "Flip Languages".

http://www.screencast.com/t/06rmP8sklXWV

I have already submitted a ticket to developers so that you could use a TM/Glossary in both directions. That would make things easy for people who translate in both directions.

Kind regards,

John Di Rico
www.wordfast.com

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Glossaries and TM inversion

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »