Newbie help TM vs Glossary
Thread poster: supakyu
supakyu
supakyu
United Kingdom
Apr 26, 2016

Hi,

I was looking for something to just build a library of words to translate between english and jp and choose WF.

I did one translation of a document in hopes that it would save translations of words and learn which words im using specific to the finanace industry but it seems i forgot to enable the glossary. Conseqeutnyl I know have a TM of like 400 words but no glossary.

Do i have to type in each word manually to make a library of words so that translat
... See more
Hi,

I was looking for something to just build a library of words to translate between english and jp and choose WF.

I did one translation of a document in hopes that it would save translations of words and learn which words im using specific to the finanace industry but it seems i forgot to enable the glossary. Conseqeutnyl I know have a TM of like 400 words but no glossary.

Do i have to type in each word manually to make a library of words so that translating is easier in the future or does the TM do this?

Really confused, thanks

ps. what is the actually different between tm and glossary
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 11:32
Spanish to English
+ ...
Read the instructions Apr 26, 2016

A TM - Translation Memory memorises/remembers the translations you do and if they appear at a later date in a different document, suggests using said translation in the new document. It could even be a whole paragraph

A Glossary is simply a list of words or phrases and their translations. In Wordfast Classic you need to build up the glossary as you go along. For example if a key phrase is "entrega y recepción de documentos" and you translate it as "delivery and receipt of documents
... See more
A TM - Translation Memory memorises/remembers the translations you do and if they appear at a later date in a different document, suggests using said translation in the new document. It could even be a whole paragraph

A Glossary is simply a list of words or phrases and their translations. In Wordfast Classic you need to build up the glossary as you go along. For example if a key phrase is "entrega y recepción de documentos" and you translate it as "delivery and receipt of documents", the next time the phrase appears in a document, the glossary will suggest inserting it by highlighting it in a preset colour (usually blue, but you can change that in the preferences).

https://www.wordfast.net/wiki/User_forums

[Edited at 2016-04-26 16:23 GMT]
Collapse

TB CommuniCAT
TB CommuniCAT  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 05:32
English to French
TM vs Glossary Apr 26, 2016

Hello,

I think in your situation, you are looking to build a glossary which is a list of words from Japanese to English (for your case) so that you can refer to in the future.

Unfortunately, you have to input them manually. However, you only have to do it once. In the future, you will see colour highlights (orange) if the words are repeated and you have the option to choose the translated term from your glossary, saving you time to re-type it every time.

... See more
Hello,

I think in your situation, you are looking to build a glossary which is a list of words from Japanese to English (for your case) so that you can refer to in the future.

Unfortunately, you have to input them manually. However, you only have to do it once. In the future, you will see colour highlights (orange) if the words are repeated and you have the option to choose the translated term from your glossary, saving you time to re-type it every time.

A TM is a segment or a sentence that is saved. In the future, if you happen to work on a similar document/project, you can pull up the TM and you will see that it is either partially matched or 100% matched. Again, saving you time to re-type.

Hope this helps.

Good luck!
Collapse

Fiona MacMillan
Fiona MacMillan  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Creating your glossary in Wordfast 3 Pro Apr 26, 2016

Hi,

A TM is a translation memory. It remembers and saves the translations of whole segments/sentences/paragraphs which you make in your CAT tool (Wordfast?)

A glossary is a bilingual word list, like a dictionary, which you compile as you translate.

It isn’t too late for you to create this. This is how it’s done in Wordfast. Reload the txml file of the translation which you did, click on Terminology at the top, then on New/Select Glossary and create a ne
... See more
Hi,

A TM is a translation memory. It remembers and saves the translations of whole segments/sentences/paragraphs which you make in your CAT tool (Wordfast?)

A glossary is a bilingual word list, like a dictionary, which you compile as you translate.

It isn’t too late for you to create this. This is how it’s done in Wordfast. Reload the txml file of the translation which you did, click on Terminology at the top, then on New/Select Glossary and create a new glossary.

Then go through your translation segment by segment. When you want to save something to the glossary, highlight the word in the source text and click on Add term (in the Terminology menu or use the icon). A box pops up with the word already in it. Then copy and paste the corresponding translation in the target language into the space in the box and click on OK.

Little by little your glossary of terms will grow and the CAT tool will ‘suggest’ them as translations next time, so you just hit return rather than retype.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Newbie help TM vs Glossary

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »