Thread poster: Chris McCallum
Chris McCallum
Chris McCallum
United States
Local time: 15:22
Spanish to English
+ ...
May 7, 2018

I mainly use WordFast on my laptop during the school year but with school out now I got the extra license and installed it on my desktop. I incurred problems connecting to my TM and it even made a problem with the connections to the TMs in the documents I was working on on my laptop. My TMs are saved on the desktop of my laptop, but it's connected to iCloud, which my desktop is as well.

Anyone have any help on how to make it work so that I can sit down and work at either computer,
... See more
I mainly use WordFast on my laptop during the school year but with school out now I got the extra license and installed it on my desktop. I incurred problems connecting to my TM and it even made a problem with the connections to the TMs in the documents I was working on on my laptop. My TMs are saved on the desktop of my laptop, but it's connected to iCloud, which my desktop is as well.

Anyone have any help on how to make it work so that I can sit down and work at either computer, with all the connections right and saving all my work and everything ?
Collapse

Dylan J Hartmann
Dylan J Hartmann  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

Import/Export GLP May 7, 2018

I used to use google drive without problems but since they updated to the 'file stream' I began having huge delays using the cloud-based TMs and glossaries.

The work around while WF fixes this is to export a GLP, which gets uploaded to the cloud. Then download that glp and run the files locally from your computer.

Chris McCallum
Chris McCallum
United States
Local time: 15:22
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Import/Export GLP May 7, 2018

Okay, thanks. So are you saying that your TMs are stored in google drive (or like I could store mine in iCloud Drive?) but right now you're saying that's problematic? Also, I don't know what a GLP is...

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 21:22
Member (2006)
French to English
syncing solutions May 7, 2018

Dylan Jan Hartmann wrote:

I used to use google drive without problems but since they updated to the 'file stream' I began having huge delays using the cloud-based TMs and glossaries.

The work around while WF fixes this is to export a GLP, which gets uploaded to the cloud. Then download that glp and run the files locally from your computer.

I just updated my "Google Drive Desktop" to "Google Backup and Restore" as opposed to "Google File Stream". All seems to be working ok. But I don't sync between two computers.

As for the sync problem, here are a couple of solutions, each with their drawbacks:
1. Buy one super laptop instead of a laptop and desktop and eventually use an external monitor and/or keyboard for working at your desk. This is what I did 8 years ago and have never looked back. Obviously, this option is not for everyone but if anyone is in the market for a computer upgrade, consider this.
2. Choose one computer to be your main computer (MC). When you need to work on the secondary computer (SC), export the project as a package (GLP file), open it on the SC to translate and eventually generate the target file. To update your TM on the MC: export the project on the SC as a package, open the initial project on the MC and import the package from the SC. Finally, use clean-up to update your TM on the MC and/or generate the target file if you haven't already. This solution seems complicated and doesn't give you all access to all bilingual files, projects, TMs, and glossaries you want regardless of which computer you are on.

John

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problems Using WordFast 5 on two Macs

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »