Thread poster: VIVA VOCE Ltd.
VIVA VOCE Ltd.
VIVA VOCE Ltd.  Identity Verified
Croatia
Local time: 06:00
English to Croatian
+ ...
Apr 5, 2007

I use Wordfast 5.5. Now, I'm having some trouble linking to online dictionaries from wordfast. I've used terminology- external dictionaries, but all this option offers are files stored on my computer. How do I link to external dictionaries as I translate files in Wordfast? Thanks.

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:00
German to English
+ ...
Possible short-term solution: Apr 5, 2007

This might help. It was posted today (5 April 07)to the Wordfast group in Yahoo:

"Unfortunately after updating from version 5.51b to 5.51j I experienced a problem when pressing Ctr+Alt+D or Ctr+Alt+F for a search in either of the two external dictionaries. I did not change the keypresses to call up the two dictionnaries. Also I left the security level for macros "low", so that seems not the cause. In fact it looks like WF "finds" the preset application window, but does not complete
... See more
This might help. It was posted today (5 April 07)to the Wordfast group in Yahoo:

"Unfortunately after updating from version 5.51b to 5.51j I experienced a problem when pressing Ctr+Alt+D or Ctr+Alt+F for a search in either of the two external dictionaries. I did not change the keypresses to call up the two dictionnaries. Also I left the security level for macros "low", so that seems not the cause. In fact it looks like WF "finds" the preset application window, but does not complete the process. I re-installed version 5.51b and everything worked well again. This leads me to believe that it may not be due my settings or my system, but to some changes introduced with 5.51j, although I hope that's not the case."

Perhaps you need to "downgrade" to version 5.51b, if you are at present using 5.51j (until the problem is solved in yet another version!)

Hope that helps
Oliver
Collapse

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 06:00
Member (2006)
French to English
Try Intelliweb Search Apr 6, 2007

Hello Ljerka,

I would recommend using IntelliWebSearch. It works much better than Wordfast's two external dictionary macro commands.

You can find it here:
http://www.intelliwebsearch.com/

I gave up trying to get the WF shortcuts to work a long time ago. After four hours of fighting an uphill battle, I realized that the learning curve was too steep!

... See more
Hello Ljerka,

I would recommend using IntelliWebSearch. It works much better than Wordfast's two external dictionary macro commands.

You can find it here:
http://www.intelliwebsearch.com/

I gave up trying to get the WF shortcuts to work a long time ago. After four hours of fighting an uphill battle, I realized that the learning curve was too steep!

Good luck and have fun with IntelliWebSearch!

John
Collapse

Masako Johnson
Masako Johnson  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:00
English to Japanese
+ ...
Can I use Intelliwesearch on Mac? Apr 21, 2016

I recently discovered intelliwebsearch. It seems very useful, but I am a Mac user. Can I still use this? If not do you know any alternatives?
Thank you!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Importing online dictionaries in wordfast

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »