Belgium
Local time: 07:41
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Money Feb 16

Tom in London wrote:
Money isn't everything.

Which is never ever said by people who don't have enough money or fear running out of money. * inserts a zillion roll-eyes *

[Bijgewerkt op 2024-02-16 21:40 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
Charlie Bavington
P.L.F. Persio
Rachel Waddington
Dan Lucas
Sabine Braun
Kevin Fulton

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
I don’t even know Feb 16

Lieven Malaise wrote:

Tom in London wrote:
Money isn't everything.

Which is never ever said by people who don't have enough money or fear running out of money. * inserts a zillion roll-eyes *

I don’t even know what that statement was supposed to mean, given the OP’s struggles and concerns (that we are all discussing here) that relate to money directly.

OP: I’ve really struggled to make a living.
Tom: Money isn’t everything.

[Edited at 2024-02-16 22:23 GMT]

Lieven Malaise
Charlie Bavington
P.L.F. Persio
Sabine Braun
patransword

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:41
French to English
Hmmm Feb 16

Tom in London wrote:

Money isn't everything.

A view that, more often than not, is expressed by those who have access to enough of the folding stuff not to have to worry about maintaining their lifestyle of choice.

Which, I would venture to suggest, is at odds with the subject of the OP and the concerns of many of us posting in reply (even if we digress considerably, continuing to earn a crust remains the underlying theme).

Lieven Malaise
Lingua 5B
P.L.F. Persio
Rachel Waddington
Dan Lucas
Angie Garbarino
Sabine Braun

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Honest advice Feb 17

James Greenfield wrote:

I've come to the point where I've practically given up and am looking for work elsewhere.

Perhaps a job as a night porter (if not already suggested) would help to pay off your bills partially at least. It sounds tough, working in the nights, but it could leave you space for still looking and/or waiting for translation jobs or to apply for other occupations. Think of similar opportunities and have in mind that many (although low paid) jobs in Britain are vacant since the Brexit. We have a similar situation here in Germany, which is also part of the slight economical decline (my regards to Dan) in my country. Here also you don't need to be a plumber or any other skilled worker to get paid work, although mostly low paid work, I have to admit.

Dan Lucas

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 14:41
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
A Different Place for Every Different People Feb 17

Dan Lucas wrote:

Matthias Brombach wrote:
Translators often compare themselves on proz with plumbers, so why don't become a plumber then?

I know yours was a tongue-in-cheek comment, but not everybody can become a plumber. Having watched tradesmen build my house, and do various bits of work to it since it was completed 10 years ago, the importance of natural aptitude has become increasingly clear to me.

When I was at school we had woodworking classes, which I quite enjoyed. My mother still has a wonky breadboard that I made when I was about 12 years old. The fact is that I was rubbish at woodwork, for whatever reason, and I'm not good with mechanical things (though I like messing around with them). Other boys had an innate understanding, a kind of insight into what they did that I never had. Their intelligence was in their hands and the way their minds perceived what they held and manipulated. I excelled in the academic side of things, and would have been a disaster as a mechanic, or a carpenter.

Ability is so much broader than a facility with words or numbers, which is what people tend to think of these days when they consider intelligence. Most people working in what we think of as a white-collar profession would flounder in a trade. And those trades are often very well paid, and are never going to be automated.

Dan

Many people do not know what they are best at.
At least, you were able to find out that you were not skillful with your hands, so you realized that becoming a mechanic or a carpenter was out of your league at a younger age. You were lucky, since it gave you the chance to eliminate what you are NOT good at and what you could not be but focus on what you can do.

I'm in the same boat as you, Dan. I can't even properly tie my own shoe laces. I bet you wouldn't dare buy one of those build-yourself-furniture from Ikea. I know, I wouldn't. It's like shooting my own foot.

Dan Lucas
P.L.F. Persio
Dr. Tilmann Kleinau

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
I bet... Feb 17

Yasutomo Kanazawa wrote:
I bet you wouldn't dare buy one of those build-yourself-furniture from Ikea. I know, I wouldn't. It's like shooting my own foot.

...that Dan as a true English countryman does dare and many do-it-yourself work too, because he's living on the countryside, where you
have to manage many things by your own.* I remember one of his stories where Dan managed to overcome the weak cellular supply at his place with a pole and a WiFi amplifier. Is it still working, Dan, or are you connected to a fibre optic line finally?

[Bearbeitet am 2024-02-17 09:11 GMT]
* And I believe he's also fond of fox hunting on Sundays.

[Bearbeitet am 2024-02-17 09:17 GMT]

P.L.F. Persio

P.L.F. Persio
P.L.F. Persio  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
Tom's faux pas and Baran's real identity Feb 17

"Money isn't everything" strikes me as a tone-deaf statement although, to me, it's not as half infuriating as "You're not trying hard enough", "The poor only have themselves to blame", and "Apparently, you're not basking in the love and grace of our Lord" – well, tell me something I don't know, will ya, mister John Calvin!

In my early 40's – that means in 2008-'09 – I couldn't get translation work for love nor money, and so I was forced to go for physically demanding jobs: fir
... See more
"Money isn't everything" strikes me as a tone-deaf statement although, to me, it's not as half infuriating as "You're not trying hard enough", "The poor only have themselves to blame", and "Apparently, you're not basking in the love and grace of our Lord" – well, tell me something I don't know, will ya, mister John Calvin!

In my early 40's – that means in 2008-'09 – I couldn't get translation work for love nor money, and so I was forced to go for physically demanding jobs: first as a postwoman, later on, as a chambermaid in a low-budget hotel. On paper, my workload in both cases was manageable: a 2-hour shift, 3 days a week.
Too bad though, those 2 hours always doubled up to 4, since I couldn't fit all the required activities in that timeframe, what with me being too slow, meticulous, and no spring chicken anymore. The hourly rates were around €7,50, maybe €8,50 including taxes, making me a grand total of €180-204 per month. After work, I was so tired I couldn't even contemplate to look for other jobs. I felt hollowed out, not even dejected, just empty. I didn't last long on either jobs.

The other day, I was writing to my good friend and esteemed colleague, Chris (hiya!), and quoted George Orwell about poverty: "Lack of money means discomfort, means squalid worries, means shortage of tobacco, means ever-present consciousness of failure – above all, it means loneliness."
And, in view of my previous experiences, Orwell was right on the money (see what I did there?) again: "It is in the brain and the soul that lack of money damages you. Mental deadness, spiritual squalor – they seem to descend upon you inescapably, when your income drops below a certain point. Faith, hope, money – only a saint could have the first two without having the third."

Therefore you good, conscientious, luckier people, though enterprise and initiative be your plea, consider this: that when the chips are down, you should refrain from making hasty judgments. You don't have to open your wallets, heck, you don't even have to open your hearts. Just shut up, and go on with your day. First, do no harm, the rest will – hopefully – follow.

And now for the moment of truth: Baran, you've been pulling the wool over our eyes long enough. Your day of reckoning has come.
Your real name is Robert James William Oldmoney-Posh, you live in Belgravia with your valet, Jeeves – although you love to hang around in Türkiye, where you can indulge your decadent fondness for sultry, sumptuous sunsets, and exquisitely cooked Mediterranean cuisine.
There, I said it!

[Edited at 2024-02-17 09:38 GMT]

[Edited at 2024-02-17 10:03 GMT]

[Edited at 2024-02-17 15:11 GMT]
Collapse

Dan Lucas
Matthias Brombach
Sabine Braun
Christopher Schröder
Lingua 5B
Lieven Malaise
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Projection Feb 17

Money goes all directions, it can project into something emotional/psychological and can project into something materialistic/physical.

Money isn’t everything, but can project into everything.

For instance, those assorted chocolates from Wales from the Dan’s blog, I would need to pay for the box of chocolates + shipping to Bosnia (requires money), and it will then project into something that’s sensational and emotional for me and my palate.

P.L.F. Persio
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Angie Garbarino
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Affirmation Feb 17

Lingua 5B wrote:
For instance, those assorted chocolates from Wales from the Dan’s blog, I would need to pay for the box of chocolates + shipping to Bosnia (requires money), and it will then project into something that’s sensational and emotional for me and my palate.

Can report that the passionfruit and chilli was moderately sensational and emotional.

Dan

Lingua 5B
P.L.F. Persio
Lieven Malaise

David GAY
David GAY
English to French
+ ...
Wrong Feb 17

Lieven Malaise wrote:
If you charge 30% less, you will need 30% more work.

[Bijgewerkt op 2024-02-15 13:44 GMT]

You actually need 50% more work

Rachel Waddington
Charlie Bavington
Jorge Payan

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Almost Feb 17

Tom in London wrote:

Money isn't everything.

Not everything but almost.

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Serbian to English
+ ...
Yes and no Feb 17

Lingua 5B wrote:

Regarding courses, especially online and cheap courses, I can illustrate with SEO.

They will teach you some definitions and postulates, you will pay them, but this skill and industry is so dynamic, the course will be of little value. Plus, the successful industry masters will high rate of conversions will not share their industry secrets in a cheap course. They may in an expensive business consulting (also questionable). Thus this course may end being a waste of time and money.

"will not share their industry secrets in a cheap course"? Never mind that these courses are usually not cheap at all, I think it's a bit more complicated than that. They may well give you the whole recipe, but it's up to you know HOW to apply it.

One example: few years ago I had a new idea I talked about to someone who might have been interested. Never heard anything back, but then learned later they tried to implement it behind my back. They did have practically "the whole recipe" but because they approached it the wrong way they made a mess of it and lost a lot of money.

Same would apply to whatever you learn in some SEO course, or in any course. Even if you're given "all the latest secrets" it depends on you to be able to make the best use of them.

P.L.F. Persio

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Have moved on Feb 17

Matthias Brombach wrote:
* I remember one of his stories where Dan managed to overcome the weak cellular supply at his place with a pole and a WiFi amplifier. Is it still working, Dan, or are you connected to a fibre optic line finally?

The pole and antenna still stands on top of the hill, as you can see from this picture, but I'm using Starlink these days, which is simpler and several times faster. In keeping with the theme of the thread, I have moved on to better things...

Dan

20220710_122935-50%

[Edited at 2024-02-17 20:28 GMT]

Matthias Brombach

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Serbian to English
+ ...
On the contrary Feb 17

Lieven Malaise wrote:

Tom in London wrote:
Money isn't everything.

Which is in fact what should never be forgotten by people who don't have enough money or fear running out of money. Otherwise it can lead to really stupid decisions.

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Math Feb 18

David GAY wrote:

Lieven Malaise wrote:
If you charge 30% less, you will need 30% more work.

[Bijgewerkt op 2024-02-15 13:44 GMT]

You actually need 50% more work

If you say so, I've never been good at math. 🙂

[Bijgewerkt op 2024-02-18 12:33 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Moving on from freelance translation, starting a new career

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »