Advertising your services
Thread poster: Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Local time: 01:28
German to English
+ ...
Dec 19, 2001

Today, I received Alex Eames\' tranfree newsletter in which he writes:

Airport/Airplane Advertising

----------------------------

Most translators like travelling to/from countries whose

languages they translate. As I mentioned in a previous tranfree,

at least one trip per year can be justified as a tax-deductible

business expense. So when you\'re at the airport, and you see all

those people...

... See more
Today, I received Alex Eames\' tranfree newsletter in which he writes:

Airport/Airplane Advertising

----------------------------

Most translators like travelling to/from countries whose

languages they translate. As I mentioned in a previous tranfree,

at least one trip per year can be justified as a tax-deductible

business expense. So when you\'re at the airport, and you see all

those people...

* in suits

* looking stressed and tired

* carrying computers

* talking on their mobile phones

...it\'s an ideal opportunity to hand them your brochure and

business card. Even if they are bilingual, these busy people may

not always have time to translate their own documents. You never

know. One good contact might just pay for your trip - and then

some.

You will never find a better way of precisely screening potential

clients thanthe airport departure lounge. The fact that they are

conducting business in the country you\'re flying to/from proves

that they are a potential client. If you live near an airport,

maybe you could target certain flight numbers at the check-in

desk? (As long as you don\'t get arrested as a suspected terrorist

like those British plane-spotters in Greece).

We tried, a few times, dropping our brochures on the

first/business class seats as we walked through the plane to our

scum-class seats. But it didn\'t work all that well because the

steward picked them up and gave them back to us. Hey it was worth

a go. It just depends how closely you\'re being watched. You could

try it too. What\'s the worst that could happen? They\'re hardly

going to kick you off the plane for being cheeky are they?

Fortune favours the brave and all that

Most countries have legislation for the extent of advertising \"professionals\" (doctors, lawyers and, yes, translators) are allowed. Some countries even find ads in the Yellow Pages objectionable. While I agree with Alex\'s other advice on how to drum up business, I think, IMHO, that passing around your business cards on airports and on planes would soon see us relegated to the same category as those \"Watchtower people\". Apart from that, I don\'t believe that business people, already harried and stressed out from marathon meetings and chasing after connecting flights, will look favourably on translators approaching them at airports.

Collapse

Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 23:28
German to English
Reply to B.A., M.A., C. Tran., C. Conf. Int. Dec 20, 2001

Who cares about the petty niceties? Hurrah for Alex for ceaselessly coming up with ideas to help out.

German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Unprofessional reply Dec 20, 2001

Quote:

On 2001-12-20 01:33, kmetzger wrote:

Who cares about the petty niceties? Hurrah for Alex for ceaselessly coming up with ideas to help out.

Excerpt from \"Forum Etiquette\":

The following are not allowed:

The use of profanity, obscenities, or objectionable language

Personal attacks on others

Straying o... See more
Quote:

On 2001-12-20 01:33, kmetzger wrote:

Excerpt from \"Forum Etiquette\":

The following are not allowed:

The use of profanity, obscenities, or objectionable language

Personal attacks on others

Straying off the discussion topic within a thread

Inhibiting any other user from using and enjoying the service

[ This Message was edited by: on 2001-12-20 02:37 ]Collapse

Magno
Magno  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jesus! Dec 20, 2001

Werner...hasta de lo que no comes te hace mal. Ya deja de ser tan controvertido no? Chill out man!)

Roomy Naqvy
Roomy Naqvy  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 10:58
English to Hindi
+ ...
Attack? [Where?] Dec 20, 2001

Where is the attack? I think Kim\'s small comment is pithy enough and is not aimed at anybody.

Just a misreading.

Or

Mistranslation.
[addsig]

Yuri Geifman
Yuri Geifman  Identity Verified
Canada
English to Russian
+ ...
I have to agree Dec 20, 2001

Most countries have legislation for the extent of advertising \"professionals\" (doctors, lawyers and, yes, translators) are allowed. Some countries even find ads in the Yellow Pages objectionable. While I agree with Alex\'s other advice on how to drum up business, I think, IMHO, that passing around your business cards on airports and on planes would soon see us relegated to the same category as those \"Watchtower people\". Apart from that, I don\'t believe that business people, already harried ... See more
Most countries have legislation for the extent of advertising \"professionals\" (doctors, lawyers and, yes, translators) are allowed. Some countries even find ads in the Yellow Pages objectionable. While I agree with Alex\'s other advice on how to drum up business, I think, IMHO, that passing around your business cards on airports and on planes would soon see us relegated to the same category as those \"Watchtower people\". Apart from that, I don\'t believe that business people, already harried and stressed out from marathon meetings and chasing after connecting flights, will look favourably on translators approaching them at airports.

[/quote]

Aggressive and \"innovative\" sales tactics may pay off in some situations (and I use quotation marks because none of these ideas are new, ask any snake oil salesman), especially if the person doing it runs an agency, but I personally feel that for a translator with any self-respect promoting him- or herself in this fashion is demeaning and undignified. I made the mistake of buying Alex\'s agency list last year (which turned out to be nothing more than another e-mail spamming \"system\"), and since then I treat his advice the same way I do all the other spam mail that comes into my mailboxes.
Collapse

Tanja Wohlgemuth
Tanja Wohlgemuth  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:28
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
Any more opinions about Alex Eames' agency list? Dec 20, 2001

I was thinking about buying Alex Eames\' agency list, too, but would like to hear some opinions about its usefulness beforehand. Apparently, Yuri Geifman\'s not very convinced of it - what about others who have bought it? I\'d really appreciate some advice - thanks!

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
Professional ethics - advertising Dec 20, 2001

Having trained as a lawyer and having worked in professional ethics and discipline (for a UK accountancy professional body), advertising was often considered as something gentlemen (and ladies) did not do.

Pressure from within the profession itself made things move on and major changes have been made in the UK right across the board in many of the traditional liberal professions : doctors, lawyers, accountants... Many can and do advertise, although certain rules do have to
... See more
Having trained as a lawyer and having worked in professional ethics and discipline (for a UK accountancy professional body), advertising was often considered as something gentlemen (and ladies) did not do.

Pressure from within the profession itself made things move on and major changes have been made in the UK right across the board in many of the traditional liberal professions : doctors, lawyers, accountants... Many can and do advertise, although certain rules do have to be observed.

My personal view. If you wish to adevertise, I see nothing wrong with it per se. How you do so, is up to you. Horses for courses. What suits one personality will not suit another. For professions where a code of professional conduct imposes certian restrictions, members have no choice but to respect those rules and regulations, or run the risk of having complaints made against them for something along the lines of \"conduct unbecoming to the profession\".

What about translators? Well, the rules have not been established, the profession is not regulated in France, nor in the UK. A free-for-all then?! We run into one of the old debates, one which I have no intention of re-opening, certainly not on this thread anyway. To advertise or not to advertise, that is the question. Whether solliciting for clients is nobler than advertising, or amount to the same thing is something to think about too.

I for one don\'t advertise. Perhaps I should. Until now I have not needed to. I\'ve been translating for 7 and a half years. However, I do contact potential clients directly if I am interested in working with them. Each to his (her, in my case) own.

Collapse

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:28
German to English
+ ...
Networking Dec 20, 2001

While I am not interested in being quite that \"cheeky,\" I do think it is a good idea to carry business cards, especially on an international flight like that. Who knows who you might be sitting next to? I would be more subtle, though and put this in the category of networking - just casually meeting people without being overbearing. It could be that they can\'t use your services, but perhaps they will pass the card on to someone else. I see nothing wrong with that.

John Kinory (X)
John Kinory (X)
Local time: 06:28
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Petty niceties Dec 20, 2001

Kim may not care for petty niceties. I do. I regard it as a matter of professional pride. It is hard enough to convince our potential clients that we ARE professionals. Unfortunately, there are many \'translators\' who after doing one job for a client, convince the latter that translators are NOT professionals. I try, within the ITI, to promote a professional attitude - approaching strangers with your business card is the exact opposite.

And the chances are you\'ll be laughed at - or w
... See more
Kim may not care for petty niceties. I do. I regard it as a matter of professional pride. It is hard enough to convince our potential clients that we ARE professionals. Unfortunately, there are many \'translators\' who after doing one job for a client, convince the latter that translators are NOT professionals. I try, within the ITI, to promote a professional attitude - approaching strangers with your business card is the exact opposite.

And the chances are you\'ll be laughed at - or worse.

Cheers,

John
[addsig]
Collapse

German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
See my private e-mail Dec 20, 2001

Quote:

On 2001-12-20 03:08, Magno wrote:

Werner...hasta de lo que no comes te hace mal. Ya deja de ser tan controvertido no? Chill out man!)

See my private e-mail; hopefully, you will get a better understanding of the underlying problem.

German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Absolutely correct, John Dec 20, 2001

Quote:

On 2001-12-20 14:38, Yoni wrote:

Kim may not care for petty niceties. I do. I regard it as a matter of professional pride. It is hard enough to convince our potential clients that we ARE professionals. Unfortunately, there are many \'translators\' who after doing one job for a client, convince the latter that translators are NOT professionals. I try, within the ITI, to promote a professional attitude - approaching strangers ... See more
Quote:

On 2001-12-20 14:38, Yoni wrote:

And the chances are you\'ll be laughed at - or worse.

Cheers,

John

PROFESSIONALS get laughed at by those that have been \"petty\" enough not to invest in proper qualifications and training. So, when one of us speaks up, those other \"dark forces\" will try to lash out at us. ▲ Collapse

Jerold Stamp
Jerold Stamp  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
Italian to English
+ ...
Advertising is merely communicating with the market Jan 5, 2002

Here’s my opinion.

I’ve already tried out Alex’s advice before I ever heard it and I can verify that his advice works.

I don’t need anyone to justify what I do and I don’t care if anyone condemns it. I look at it this way. I have a wife and family and I have to put bread on the table every evening. If I fail that then I have real problems (from my wife).

As long as one is honest and sincere, there is nothing wrong in pro
... See more
Here’s my opinion.

I’ve already tried out Alex’s advice before I ever heard it and I can verify that his advice works.

I don’t need anyone to justify what I do and I don’t care if anyone condemns it. I look at it this way. I have a wife and family and I have to put bread on the table every evening. If I fail that then I have real problems (from my wife).

As long as one is honest and sincere, there is nothing wrong in promoting yourself. In fact, I think it’s much more respectable and moral to promote yourself and your business than it is to sit back, and do nothing. Be nice, honest, sincere, and friendly. If the person is annoyed, stop. Talk to the person, listen. Give him your card, tell him what you do. All you did was communicate with another human being letting him know that you have a certain skill and are ready and willing to do it.

Don’t be a nuisance and don’t worry what anyone says, there’s nothing wrong with it. You’re just a human being trying to get by. Go for it and good luck!!

Collapse

German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Professional standards Jan 7, 2002

There is nothing wrong with \"creative advertising\" - within certain limits, of course.

Hunting down businesspeople at an airport, with all due respect and IMHO, is not professional.
[addsig]

BNatt (X)
BNatt (X)
German to English
tranfree e-zine - Not A Mandatory Subscription Jan 8, 2002

To my knowledge Alex Eames does not force anybody to subscribe to his e-zine.

Consequently, I don\'t see attacks toward translatortips practices or their recommendations an issue to be brought up here at ProZ.

My recommenation: unsubscribe from the mailing list if it\'s too disturbing or contact Alex directly.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advertising your services

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »