Can I edit a pdf document with the help of Acrobat Reader?
Thread poster: Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Local time: 05:52
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Jul 4, 2004

I am required to edit a pdf document. Could someone guide me whether it is possible to edit it with the help of Acrobat Reader? I have been unable to locate a relevant button to do the needful. Whether it is possible at all? If so, kindly elaborate the procedure.

Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
English to Tamil
+ ...
In memoriam
It depends on the manner the PDF has been created in the first place Jul 4, 2004

I am basing my suggestions on the premise that you do not have FineReader but just Acrobat Reader 5 or 6.

If the PDF document has been created by scanning hard copy, nothing can be done. My suggestion helps only when the PDF has been created from an editable copy. In that case, go to tools in the PDF files, select "Text select tool"+ control A+ control C. Open a new word page and press control V. The entire text of the document will be copied. Images will be missing. Mark the place
... See more
I am basing my suggestions on the premise that you do not have FineReader but just Acrobat Reader 5 or 6.

If the PDF document has been created by scanning hard copy, nothing can be done. My suggestion helps only when the PDF has been created from an editable copy. In that case, go to tools in the PDF files, select "Text select tool"+ control A+ control C. Open a new word page and press control V. The entire text of the document will be copied. Images will be missing. Mark the places where the images are required in the word file. Get back to PDF screen, select "image select tool" select images one by one and paste them in the same order at the appropriate places in the word document. Now come the tabular columns. If you are lucky, the tables will be copied intact, but lucky is the keyword. Otherwise the column calues will be scattered one after another. It will be now necessary to reconstruct the table and fill up the column values by control x and control V. Now comes the adjusting of the margins and spaces. Then you will have a good word document comparable to the original PDF. Quite a handful work but is worth it. The client will be pleased. It will be better to increase your rate slightly in such cases. Client may no longer be pleased but you can still get your way by gentle persuation (show a knife?)

Even in PDF's created from scanned hard copies, nothing is lost. Here you can still operate the image select tool. So, start typing afressh the translation in a word document and copy paste the images of the PDF files in the appropriate places in the Word document. (After having a second look at your query, I would like to state that this is applicable only for translation and not for editing just for proofreading).

In my case I tile horizontally the PDF and the word files, with the PDF file at the bottom. The top word file can be edited by reading the bottom PDF file. No printouts and consequently no paper whatsoever.

Regards,
N.Raghavan

[Edited at 2004-07-04 04:38]

[Edited at 2004-07-04 04:50]
Collapse

Ramesh Madhavan
Ramesh Madhavan  Identity Verified

English
+ ...
No, you can't Jul 4, 2004

You will need Acrobat WRITER to edit pdf documents. The READER comes free so that every one can read the files. For WRITING, you need to buy the full programme. It is quite expensive! The advantage is that you can then create your own pdf documents which can not be alterred easily by the receipients!

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:22
German to English
+ ...
Can I edit a pdf document with the help of Acrobat Reader? Jul 4, 2004

No.

Adobe Acrobat files are designed for viewing and printing, not for editing. Get your customer to send you the file from which the Acrobat file was created. If that file is not available, use one of the many conversion programs to convert the file to a suitable format, such as MS Word. Search for past discussions here on ProZ on this subject - there have been lots of them!

Marc

Rajan Chopra
Rajan Chopra
India
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jul 4, 2004

Many thanks to all of you for your informative and useful replies and tips.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can I edit a pdf document with the help of Acrobat Reader?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »