Initiator des Themas: Parrot
Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spanien
Local time: 12:09
Spanisch > Englisch
+ ...
Mar 12, 2003

I recently switched my operating system (along with the whole computer) to Windows XP Pro and installed Office XP. The first jobs I got on this system were in hard copy and I simply had to create a new file. However, when I began to open other people\'s files, Word would erase them and close the file before I even had a chance to save the changes. My outsourcer advised me to lower security levels, but that hasn\'t worked completely (sometimes Word deletes the file, sometimes it lets me overwrite... See more
I recently switched my operating system (along with the whole computer) to Windows XP Pro and installed Office XP. The first jobs I got on this system were in hard copy and I simply had to create a new file. However, when I began to open other people\'s files, Word would erase them and close the file before I even had a chance to save the changes. My outsourcer advised me to lower security levels, but that hasn\'t worked completely (sometimes Word deletes the file, sometimes it lets me overwrite, at other times it deletes the file when I open it a second time).

I\'m convinced it\'s just one of those settings I either overlook or never touch (I used to work with Office 2000). What can I do about this? Thanks for any advice.

Cecilia
Collapse

Anila Mayhew (X)
Anila Mayhew (X)  Identity Verified
Vereinigte Staaten
Local time: 03:09
Englisch > Albanisch
+ ...
Technical support from Office XP Mar 12, 2003

Is there a way for you to get technical support from Office XP people. I usually find it easier to talk to an expert instead of wasting so much time trying to figure it out on my own. Of course, this applies only if your new system gives you an option for technical support via a website, phone line or even the troubleshooting in the manual or the Help button.

I recently got Office XP myself and have not had any problems whatsoever.

Good luck

Parrot
Spanien
Spanisch > Englisch
+ ...
THEMENSTARTER
I've been to the website Mar 12, 2003

And it seems there are precious few people (i.e., zero) who have problems overwriting, say, a document in French to turn it into English (i.e., definitely not a page conceived for a translator). I\'ve also tried looking for a button somewhere to get a live technician by e-mail and I can\'t find any. Considering I assembled the hardware myself and installed the software myself which I bought myself, I\'m now supposed to be that technician who\'ll answer my questions ... ... See more
And it seems there are precious few people (i.e., zero) who have problems overwriting, say, a document in French to turn it into English (i.e., definitely not a page conceived for a translator). I\'ve also tried looking for a button somewhere to get a live technician by e-mail and I can\'t find any. Considering I assembled the hardware myself and installed the software myself which I bought myself, I\'m now supposed to be that technician who\'ll answer my questions ... Collapse

gamingman (X)
gamingman (X)
Ungarn
Englisch > Ungarisch
Try to... Mar 13, 2003

make your fellow\'s file read only and/or check Event Viewer for error messages.

TService (X)
TService (X)  Identity Verified
Englisch > Deutsch
Check for viruses ! Mar 13, 2003

Even if you\'re using a freshly configured computer: That behavior of Word is more than strange.

Do NOT lower any security settings !

A month ago one of my clients reported similar problems when opening eMails with Outlook. A day later the system went down completely and could not be restored.

DO check for viruses or any other suspicious things.

Good luck !

Parrot
Spanien
Spanisch > Englisch
+ ...
THEMENSTARTER
I'm managing Mar 13, 2003

With all the language settings in Off. Any better ideas are welcome.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderatoren dieses Forums
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Office XP (Word) Deleting files I have to overwrite

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »