Fallout as a result of low quality in Translation
Thread poster: Uwe Schwenk (X)
Uwe Schwenk (X)
Uwe Schwenk (X)
Local time: 09:42
English to German
Jan 7, 2002

Here is one very good reason on why translation should not be done by obviously unqualified personnel.

The example below illustrates perfectly the problems AND the quite often neglected follow-up costs of a low quality translation, which can be rather extensive.

This press release from freerealtime does not require andy additional comments.

January 03, 2002

Chinese authorities have reportedly recalled a book on the World Trade Organi
... See more
Here is one very good reason on why translation should not be done by obviously unqualified personnel.

The example below illustrates perfectly the problems AND the quite often neglected follow-up costs of a low quality translation, which can be rather extensive.

This press release from freerealtime does not require andy additional comments.

January 03, 2002

Chinese authorities have reportedly recalled a book on the World Trade Organisation (WTO) published by the Shanghai People\'s Publishing House and also ordered the publisher to stop production.

The recall apparently comes in response to a number of translation errors found in the Shanghai publisher\'s version. As the book contained legal documents concerning China\'s commitments for entering the WTO, the state press and publication administration said that the book had to be revised and corrected, according to the Beijing Evening News and Beijing Youth Daily.

The Ministry of Trade and Economic Cooperation is preparing an official version of the book, scheduled for release before the end of January 2002.

Collapse

Hans-Henning Judek
Hans-Henning Judek  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:42
German to English
+ ...
Some people have to learn it the hard way... Jan 8, 2002

Yes, Uwe, I know what you are talking about here.

A couple of weeks ago I had an inquiry for a J-G translation at a rediculously low rate first from a company in Italy, then the same stuff from a company in Hungaria. I refused both.

Then some days later I saw a job offer for proofreading G-J on PROZ which turned out to be the same translation. The customer had several claims due to poor quality, and I was supposed to fix it at - again - a very low rate
... See more
Yes, Uwe, I know what you are talking about here.

A couple of weeks ago I had an inquiry for a J-G translation at a rediculously low rate first from a company in Italy, then the same stuff from a company in Hungaria. I refused both.

Then some days later I saw a job offer for proofreading G-J on PROZ which turned out to be the same translation. The customer had several claims due to poor quality, and I was supposed to fix it at - again - a very low rate. Of course, I refused again and hope that they had a very hard time.

Unfortunately it always works out somehow, so we cannot be sure that these two agencies are going to look for better translators the next time.

Collapse

Derek Smith
Derek Smith  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:42
Italian to English
+ ...
translation vibration Jan 8, 2002

Quote:

Unfortunately it always works out somehow, so we cannot be sure that these two agencies are going to look for better translators the next time.

But take heart friends - you can\'t cheat karma

D

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Fallout as a result of low quality in Translation

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »