Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Using "In this context" in the question line in KudoZ (Staff: glossary form should be maintained)
Thread poster: Fernando Larrazabal
Fernando Larrazabal
Fernando Larrazabal
Japan
Local time: 00:04
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 3, 2011

Should "In this context" or "notes" be added as an option when asking a Kudoz question, apart from "Explanation/Context ..."?

An asker recently complained because the question was posted as "whatever (in this context)"
and a moderator had changed it into "whatever".

The moderator did the change following Kudoz rule
... See more
Should "In this context" or "notes" be added as an option when asking a Kudoz question, apart from "Explanation/Context ..."?

An asker recently complained because the question was posted as "whatever (in this context)"
and a moderator had changed it into "whatever".

The moderator did the change following Kudoz rule 1.4 (maintaining glossary form).
http://www.proz.com/siterules/kudoz_general/1.4#1.4

The asker observed than doing a term search for ""(in this context)" in, at least, the English/Spanish and Spanish/English pairs, produces around 3200 hits. That is, there are around 3200 violations of the rule.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2011-01-05 01:20 GMT]
Collapse

Travelin Ann
Travelin Ann  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:04
French to English
+ ...
Rule 1.4 Jan 3, 2011

Fernando, as we have discussed, this would be a rule violation - Rule 1.4 clearly says "Glossary form must be maintained. Draft glossaries are generated automatically from KudoZ questions and answers. For this reason, expressions such as 'see below' must not be entered in the boxes provided for terms, either when posting source terms or proposing translations. Question marks, quote marks, unnecessary capitalization and anything else that would not be found in a dictionary, should not be entered.... See more
Fernando, as we have discussed, this would be a rule violation - Rule 1.4 clearly says "Glossary form must be maintained. Draft glossaries are generated automatically from KudoZ questions and answers. For this reason, expressions such as 'see below' must not be entered in the boxes provided for terms, either when posting source terms or proposing translations. Question marks, quote marks, unnecessary capitalization and anything else that would not be found in a dictionary, should not be entered. Translations entered for glossary-building KudoZ must include the translated term, a definition and at least an example of use, all in the corresponding target language."

I work in several pairs, and, especially in FR-EN, this rule is almost ALWAYS enforced.

Ann
Collapse

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
It's pointless to say "In this context" Jan 3, 2011

Apart from being a rule violation, I find it irritating. Almost all KudoZ questions are looking for a translation in a particular context, and what askers seem to be saying is "This question is not as obvious as it might look" - but that's for us, the answerers, to decide.

Travelin Ann
French to English
+ ...
Context Jan 3, 2011

We have this conversation regularly - context is vital for a good translation. I'm with Phil - "in this context" in the headline. followed by little or no context in the asker box is annoying.

Gianni Pastore
Gianni Pastore  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 17:04
Member (2007)
English to Italian
This Jan 3, 2011

philgoddard wrote:

Apart from being a rule violation, I find it irritating. Almost all KudoZ questions are looking for a translation in a particular context, and what askers seem to be saying is "This question is not as obvious as it might look" - but that's for us, the answerers, to decide.

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:04
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Does this apply to glossary entries made by asker or answerer? Jan 3, 2011

If I enter a word in the glossary with a meaning unusual for that word, I add "(in this context)", assuming that this will cause anyone looking it up to go to the original question and see what the context is. Have I been in breach of this rule for the past ten years? No-one has ever queried or changed it, or if they have, I have not been informed.

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
Jack Jan 3, 2011

If no one has ever slapped your wrists, you're lucky! If the question has already been asked but you think your context is different, you should say so and include a link to the previous post(s).

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Yes Jan 4, 2011

philgoddard wrote:

And rule 1.4 has a logic for the glossary entry.

Pablo Bouvier
Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
German to Spanish
+ ...
In this context Jan 4, 2011

Travelin Ann wrote:

Fernando, as we have discussed, this would be a rule violation - Rule 1.4 clearly says "Glossary form must be maintained. Draft glossaries are generated automatically from KudoZ questions and answers. For this reason, expressions such as 'see below' must not be entered in the boxes provided for terms, either when posting source terms or proposing translations. Question marks, quote marks, unnecessary capitalization and anything else that would not be found in a dictionary, should not be entered. Translations entered for glossary-building KudoZ must include the translated term, a definition and at least an example of use, all in the corresponding target language."

I work in several pairs, and, especially in FR-EN, this rule is almost ALWAYS enforced.

Ann

To me, regardless of the Kudoz rules, the term in this context makes perfect sense. For example, in German the word Bestand is a polysemic term that has quite different translations in Spanish depending on the context and all of them within the business vocabulary.

For example, Bestand means balance in accounting, portfolio in assets management, stock in logistics, etc. and has a quite different meaning depending on the business area you are translating. How should these translations of the very same original term be differentiated in Kudoz glossaries? Answer is obvious: in this context.

By the way, all these translations are usual terms in business jargon, at least in Spanish.

[Edited at 2011-01-04 11:27 GMT]

Steffen Walter
Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
@ Pablo - I do see your point but... Jan 4, 2011

... I think this topic was rather about entering "in this context" in the question headline, which should be avoided because it goes without saying that any question comes with a particular context to be described in the field provided specifically for this purpose. I'm fully with philgoddard ("entering 'in this context' is pointless") because this addition would add unnecessary (disruptive) clutter to the term headline.

My 2 cents,
Steffen

Travelin Ann
French to English
+ ...
The point is where "in this context" is placed Jan 4, 2011

It's fine to put in this context in the body of the question, explaining why the usual dictionary or glossary entries don't seem to work.

The point is that the original question had in this context in the headline, which interferes with the draft glossary which is created as soon as the question goes live.

Fernando Larrazabal
Fernando Larrazabal
Japan
Local time: 00:04
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not for points Jan 4, 2011

When a question is marked as "not for points", this appears in the headline of the question but in a different color and "not for points" is not incorporated into the glossary that will be created.

In the pairs I mentioned, there were so many violations of the rule because the askers didn't find or have a way to stress the context issue.

My suggestion is to add an option as that for "no points" that will appear in the headline (not in the final glossary) using "in this
... See more
When a question is marked as "not for points", this appears in the headline of the question but in a different color and "not for points" is not incorporated into the glossary that will be created.

In the pairs I mentioned, there were so many violations of the rule because the askers didn't find or have a way to stress the context issue.

My suggestion is to add an option as that for "no points" that will appear in the headline (not in the final glossary) using "in this context" or "as in ..."

Adding "in this context" could mean: look, I have already checked all the glossaries and entries and I cannot find what I'm looking for so, please, do not bother giving me a quick answer with the usual translation of that term because that's not what I need.

It would then be irritating if the asker didn't enter the context in the body of the question.
Collapse

Pablo Bouvier
Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
German to Spanish
+ ...
In this context Jan 4, 2011

Steffen Walter wrote:

... I think this topic was rather about entering "in this context" in the question headline, which should be avoided because it goes without saying that any question comes with a particular context to be described in the field provided specifically for this purpose. I'm fully with philgoddard ("entering 'in this context' is pointless") because this addition would add unnecessary (disruptive) clutter to the term headline.

My 2 cents,
Steffen

I agree. "In this context" should not be in the question headline. There is a specific box to give context from the askers side and at the left of this one it is clearly written: .../context. But, in the glossary I guess there should be a mean to provide in wich context a polysemic word makes sense or not.

[Edited at 2011-01-04 22:21 GMT]

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 12:04
SITE STAFF
Glossary form must be maintained Jan 5, 2011

Hi all,

http://www.proz.com/siterules/kudoz_general/1.4#1.4 states that glossary form must be maintained. For this reason, expressions such as 'see below' (or "in this context") must not be entered in the boxes provided for terms, either when posting source terms or proposing translations. Note that this applies to the boxes for supplying the asked term or the translated t
... See more
Hi all,

http://www.proz.com/siterules/kudoz_general/1.4#1.4 states that glossary form must be maintained. For this reason, expressions such as 'see below' (or "in this context") must not be entered in the boxes provided for terms, either when posting source terms or proposing translations. Note that this applies to the boxes for supplying the asked term or the translated term.

Jared
Collapse

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Using "In this context" in the question line in KudoZ (Staff: glossary form should be maintained)

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »