Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32] >
Comprehensive KudoZ update released
Thread poster: Jason Grimes
Maria Diaconu
Maria Diaconu  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 17:23
English to Romanian
Character counting in "ask the asker" box Sep 1, 2005

Well, this happened to me several times.

When I enter something into the Asker box, I look at the character counting. I think it allows me to enter up to 255 characters. But what actually happens is that while the counter does not reach 0, because my comment is shorter than 255 characters, my comment appears truncated in the Asker box, after I send it. Why is that?

It seems that I am actually allowed to enter less than 255 characters. I would like the counter to count c
... See more
Well, this happened to me several times.

When I enter something into the Asker box, I look at the character counting. I think it allows me to enter up to 255 characters. But what actually happens is that while the counter does not reach 0, because my comment is shorter than 255 characters, my comment appears truncated in the Asker box, after I send it. Why is that?

It seems that I am actually allowed to enter less than 255 characters. I would like the counter to count correctly

Has anyone had the same experience?

[Edited at 2005-09-01 07:22]
Collapse

Rebecca Hendry
Rebecca Hendry  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:23
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I've just noticed the same thing Sep 1, 2005

KathyT wrote:

I have just noticed that within the last 24 hours, the Asker's comments have been removed from all questions, both new and old.
I am referring to the little box (at the bottom of the question selected by the Asker when grading) where any additional comments regarding Asker's reasons for choosing a particular answer, general thanks to all respondents, etc. are entered.

Is this just a temporary problem or part of the new design?

This just happened to me - I graded a question, explained my choice, and actually gave a little more information about how I translated the rest of the phrase in its context. And after typing all that and pressing go it disappeared! So I entered it all again in a note at the top.

If this is permanent, why? If not, can we get it fixed please?

Keep up the good work,

Becky.

Pablo Grosschmid
Pablo Grosschmid  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:23
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Suggestion: itemize peer comments (instead of "net agrement") Sep 1, 2005

Itemizing peer comments would be much more iformative than just showing the arithmetic result of "agrees" and "disagrees" and neglecting "neutrals".

Example:

"Peer comments: 3 agree - 1 neutral - 2 disagree"

and

"Peer comments: 1 agree"

are very different, but both lead now to

"+1 net peer agreement"

Gina W
Gina W
United States
Local time: 10:23
Member (2003)
French to English
Yes, I like this idea, too Sep 1, 2005

Heidi:) wrote:

Hi!
I really liked that in the new version, when answering, you could see all the other answers that had be given.

I noticed that now, when answering, once again we only get the box for answering and can no longer see what others have written.

I would like you to change it back again. I think it's really useful to be able to see the other answers: first, you can make sure you are not repeating what someone else wrote; also, you can clarify your point or stress in your answer the difference in any misunderstandings or misreadings that might have appeared elsewhere.

Thanks again!

Heidi

Yes, I would like this capability, too (if it's at all possible).

Heidi C
Heidi C  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:23
English to Spanish
+ ...
Suggestion: itemize peer comments (instead of "net agrement") Sep 1, 2005

Pablo Grosschmid wrote:

Itemizing peer comments would be much more iformative than just showing the arithmetic result of "agrees" and "disagrees" and neglecting "neutrals".

Example:

"Peer comments: 3 agree - 1 neutral - 2 disagree"

and

"Peer comments: 1 agree"

are very different, but both lead now to

"+1 net peer agreement"

I agree with Pablo. A disagree or neutral give a lot of information, they qualify or add on to the comments so a question having 7 agrees and 1 neutral or disagree cannot be considered the same as a question having 5 or 6 agrees and nothing else!!

Heidi

Silvia Prendin
Silvia Prendin  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to Italian
+ ...
PROBLEM Sep 1, 2005

Sorry if you already know about this, but I couldn't go through 13 pages!

Please look what happened in this Kudoz question: http://www.proz.com/kudoz/1128784

My comment has been uploaded several times, because I kept refreshing the page! I guess this should be fixed, after all, I didn't click on "Add note"! Also, I cannot edit the comments.

Thanks

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 11:23
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Extra comments have been removed Sep 1, 2005

Sphynx wrote:

Sorry if you already know about this, but I couldn't go through 13 pages!

Please look what happened in this Kudoz question: http://www.proz.com/kudoz/1128784

My comment has been uploaded several times, because I kept refreshing the page! I guess this should be fixed, after all, I didn't click on "Add note"! Also, I cannot edit the comments.

Thanks

Your comment has been sent 3 times (by your refresh) and I have now removed 2 of them.
You cannot edit it, but moerators can remove any comment in the KudoZ pages.
Perhaps the programmer can do something about improper inputs due to the page refresh. Please describe the problem writing to Support, as they may miss your posting above.

Gianfranco

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
Suggestion about 'Kudoz ask' form: can we have a 'not a translator in the pair' check box? Sep 1, 2005

For instance, in the last couple of months, I asked several questions in Spanish to English, because I encountered Spanish terms in an English text I was translating to Turkish. As the Spanish to Turkish Kudoz community was virtually non-existent, and English was the only other language I could understand, I asked them in that pair. Likewise, sometimes a colleague asks questions in English to Turkish, because of Turkish terms encountered in a text in a completely different language. The asker mi... See more
For instance, in the last couple of months, I asked several questions in Spanish to English, because I encountered Spanish terms in an English text I was translating to Turkish. As the Spanish to Turkish Kudoz community was virtually non-existent, and English was the only other language I could understand, I asked them in that pair. Likewise, sometimes a colleague asks questions in English to Turkish, because of Turkish terms encountered in a text in a completely different language. The asker might provide this explanation in the context space, of course, but still it would be better to have that option, because if the answerers had that info beforehand, they could formulate their suggestions accordingly.Collapse

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 11:23
English to Spanish
+ ...
Net agrees Sep 1, 2005

Henry,
I can`t find my previous postings on this subject, but I just wanted to tell you that the problem has been fixed. I`ve even noticed a new design, different colors por confidence level and net agrees, it works and it looks much better.
Thank you.
Walter

Adela Van Gils
Adela Van Gils  Identity Verified
Netherlands
German to Dutch
+ ...
Agree Sep 2, 2005

Dear Karlo and colleagues,
I agree, too complicated and no fun the new Kudoz.
I am not able to put the answers on my questions into the my glosseries.

Karlo Heppner wrote:

My first impression
is that of having changed a lot what makes things confusing and dropped worthful functions.

1. The whole layout is too complicated, too many things to observe when answering questions.

2. I cannot click on the name of an answerer and get to his profile. Annoying.

3. Too many kinds of glossary searches. Confusing.
The answers I get in 3 categories. Confusing.

I can´t even search only my own glossary. Annoying.

In general my first impression. Changes were made two rapidly , all at once. By adding too many functions it´s confusing for the user.

Proposal: Let the fundamental structure as easy a s possible and add the additional functions as(hidden)options.

A layout must be easy and clear and not overloaded with a lot of functions the users do not need normally.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Comprehensive KudoZ update released

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »