Steven Jefferson
Steven Jefferson
Spain
Local time: 08:44
German to English
+ ...
Jun 18, 2011

Hi,

Can anybody tell what the difference is between a Lungenentzündung and Lungenfieber. As far as I can tell they both translate as pneumonia yet you read of people who die of a Lungenentzündung after several weeks of Lungenfieber. What are the English or pan-European medical terms for these?

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to give me.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:44
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Lungenfieber Jun 18, 2011

I have heard this term only in the context of SARS - Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome.

Example:
http://www.spiegel.de/spiegel/print/d-27007559.html

Wikipedia gives the following description:

"Severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS, play /ˈsɑrz/ sarz) is a respiratory disease in humans which is caused by the SARS coronavirus (SARS-CoV).
... See more
I have heard this term only in the context of SARS - Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome.

Example:
http://www.spiegel.de/spiegel/print/d-27007559.html

Wikipedia gives the following description:

"Severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS, play /ˈsɑrz/ sarz) is a respiratory disease in humans which is caused by the SARS coronavirus (SARS-CoV).[1] There was one near pandemic, between the months of November 2002 and July 2003, with 8,422 known infected cases and 916 confirmed human deaths[2] (a case-fatality rate of 10.9%) worldwide being listed in the World Health Organization's (WHO) 21 April 2004 concluding report.[3] Within a matter of weeks in early 2003, SARS spread from the Hong Kong province of China to rapidly infect individuals in some 37 countries around the world."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Severe_acute_respiratory_syndrome
Collapse

Steven Jefferson
Steven Jefferson
Spain
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Reply... Jun 18, 2011

Hi Nicole,

Thanks. That is also the only reference I can find in a modern context. In an ancient dictionary I found a reference to Lungenentzündung as an inflammation of the lungs, which seems obvious but pretty non meaningful. I've used it in my translation just to make a difference between that word and Lungenfieber, which I've translated as pneumonia. I've also read that Lungenfieber can be used colloquially to mean tuberculosis. The reference to SARS makes me think along the li
... See more
Hi Nicole,

Thanks. That is also the only reference I can find in a modern context. In an ancient dictionary I found a reference to Lungenentzündung as an inflammation of the lungs, which seems obvious but pretty non meaningful. I've used it in my translation just to make a difference between that word and Lungenfieber, which I've translated as pneumonia. I've also read that Lungenfieber can be used colloquially to mean tuberculosis. The reference to SARS makes me think along the lines of a flu.

It's quite interesting actually when you think about the way various cultures talk about diseases. Things seem to change even from century to century within the same language. Like in 18th and 19th century novels everybody seems to take to their beds with a Fieber whenever anything happens to them, like getting jilted at the altar. In English literature they always seems to swoon or suffer from melancholy.

I'm just imagining how the average modern boss would react if you called up to say you weren't coming to work because of fever or melancholy.

... gute Nacht!
Collapse

Kirsten Bodart
Kirsten Bodart  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
Maybe a bit vague Jun 18, 2011

but Lungenfieber (and I have seen pulmonary fever mentioned) is all fever resulting from something in the lungs. So pneumonia, but also tuberculosis, abcesses, sores etc. Typically those things that make the immune system work. I gather the term has gone out of use, probably because doctors now can more easily determine what the disease is rather than having to guess and only being able to see that it is fever to do with the lungs... Hence probably the entries on Google that first pulmonary feve... See more
but Lungenfieber (and I have seen pulmonary fever mentioned) is all fever resulting from something in the lungs. So pneumonia, but also tuberculosis, abcesses, sores etc. Typically those things that make the immune system work. I gather the term has gone out of use, probably because doctors now can more easily determine what the disease is rather than having to guess and only being able to see that it is fever to do with the lungs... Hence probably the entries on Google that first pulmonary fever occurs after which the onset of pheumonia. Obviously they could hear that that was pneumonia, but not determine beforehand... (I guess).

Lungenentzündung is then pneumonia, but that has a specific medical definition, I guess, which pulmonary fever has not.

http://de.academic.ru/searchall.php?SWord=lungengeschwüre&stype=0 Have a look on here. It all seems pretty clearly explained (in German).

And yes, people historically seemed to suffer from fever whenever. Or headaches also seemed very popular when distressed...
Collapse

Steven Jefferson
Steven Jefferson
Spain
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Reply... Jun 18, 2011

Hi Kirsten,

Thanks for the explanation and for the link.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:44
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
He, he. Jun 18, 2011

Steven Jefferson wrote:

It's quite interesting actually when you think about the way various cultures talk about diseases. Things seem to change even from century to century within the same language. Like in 18th and 19th century novels everybody seems to take to their beds with a Fieber whenever anything happens to them, like getting jilted at the altar. In English literature they always seems to swoon or suffer from melancholy.

I'm just imagining how the average modern boss would react if you called up to say you weren't coming to work because of fever or melancholy.

Or if you happened to be a woman, and the doctor couldn't figure out what was wrong: hysteria.

"Female hysteria was a once-common medical diagnosis, made exclusively in women, which is today no longer recognized by modern medical authorities as a medical disorder. Its diagnosis and treatment were routine for many hundreds of years in Western Europe. Hysteria was widely discussed in the medical literature of the nineteenth century. Women considered to be suffering from it exhibited a wide array of symptoms including faintness, nervousness, insomnia, fluid retention, heaviness in abdomen, muscle spasm, shortness of breath, irritability, loss of appetite for food or sex, and "a tendency to cause trouble"."

"Boss, I can't come in today, I have hysteria."

Catherine GUILLIAUMET
Catherine GUILLIAUMET  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
In memoriam
hyster... Jun 18, 2011

Just a little reminder :
hysteria, comes from the ancient Greek hystera = uterus.
This root gave also hysterectomy, for instance.

It is why it gave rise to those so strange ideas about women from Hippocrates to Freud, via Platon, Charcot, Janet, etc., not to mention the medieval witches.

Nowadays, even a man can be described as "hysterical", an etymological nonsense but a revenge taken by women on centuries of stupidity...
See more
Just a little reminder :
hysteria, comes from the ancient Greek hystera = uterus.
This root gave also hysterectomy, for instance.

It is why it gave rise to those so strange ideas about women from Hippocrates to Freud, via Platon, Charcot, Janet, etc., not to mention the medieval witches.

Nowadays, even a man can be described as "hysterical", an etymological nonsense but a revenge taken by women on centuries of stupidity

Have a nice weekend
Catherine
Collapse

Steven Jefferson
Steven Jefferson
Spain
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not completely stupid though ... Jun 19, 2011

I'm not sure if it is completely stupid to link women's problems with an organ that they have, which men don't have. Just because it turned out to be wrong (if it did) doesn't mean that the basic idea was wrong. After all women can get a bit uncomfortable around "that time of the month", which is certainly related to goings on in the uterus and the resulting strain on the rest of the body, including hormonal changes that can certainly lead to some of the symptoms described under traditional hyst... See more
I'm not sure if it is completely stupid to link women's problems with an organ that they have, which men don't have. Just because it turned out to be wrong (if it did) doesn't mean that the basic idea was wrong. After all women can get a bit uncomfortable around "that time of the month", which is certainly related to goings on in the uterus and the resulting strain on the rest of the body, including hormonal changes that can certainly lead to some of the symptoms described under traditional hysteria.

It would be worth investigating whether this alleged illness has been scrapped from the medical literature because it really doesn't exist - which would be a good thing for women - or for political reasons, in which case it is doing women a great disservice.

Anyway another peculiar etymological twist is the way the word "hysterical" is now commonly used to describe something outrageously funny. Another example of how words lead their own lives gloriously oblivious of the dictates of logic and seemingly on a deliberate mission to rob pedants of their sleep;-)

[Edited at 2011-06-19 10:20 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Difference between Lungenentzündung and Lungenfieber

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »