How to filter out numbers in a billingual file?
Thread poster: Dorothy Schaps
Dorothy Schaps
Dorothy Schaps  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:19
Member (2010)
German to English
Feb 9, 2012

Hi everyone,

I'm proofreading an mbd file which contains loads of numbers - seriously masses! I don't need to proofread them and want to filter them out but I can't find anything obvious within MemoQ (version 5.0.58) that allows me to do that! I know I could finish this job so much more quickly if I didn't have to scroll through miles of numbers - unfortunately that seems to be the only option available

S
... See more
Hi everyone,

I'm proofreading an mbd file which contains loads of numbers - seriously masses! I don't need to proofread them and want to filter them out but I can't find anything obvious within MemoQ (version 5.0.58) that allows me to do that! I know I could finish this job so much more quickly if I didn't have to scroll through miles of numbers - unfortunately that seems to be the only option available

Surely there must be a way?!

I'd be ever so grateful for some help!

Thank you!
Dot
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
By sorting? Feb 9, 2012

If you use the sorting options (alphabetically by source, if you ask me) of the translation grid, you can easily put all numbers in a block and confirm them all (if you are a proofreader, they will get the double-checkmark). Then you can simply filter your list by status, i.e. selecting all the statuses except "Proofread". Then you can unsort the list and you should see just the segments containing text.

I hope this helps!

Edited just in case this was not obvious enough
... See more
If you use the sorting options (alphabetically by source, if you ask me) of the translation grid, you can easily put all numbers in a block and confirm them all (if you are a proofreader, they will get the double-checkmark). Then you can simply filter your list by status, i.e. selecting all the statuses except "Proofread". Then you can unsort the list and you should see just the segments containing text.

I hope this helps!

Edited just in case this was not obvious enough: once you have all numbers in a block, go to the first number, select its row (click its row number), then use the scroll bar/page keys to go to the last row containing a number, and Shift-click its row number. This should select all rows containing numbers.

It is safest to scroll down the list with page-down, so that you can watch out for segments that contain text but begin with a number. You should not make these Proofread so that you can proofread them in due time.

If you have very many text segments that begin with a number, you can also use another sorting option: By length (source), so that numbers --normally shorter than a text segment-- are placed all in a block.

Well, just play around with the sorting options and see what works best for you.

[Edited at 2012-02-09 15:36 GMT]
Collapse

Dorothy Schaps
Germany
Member (2010)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
All segments already 100% or 101%... Feb 9, 2012

...and I have no double check marks! :/

It seems that I possibly didn't import this file correctly or something... All the segments are either 100% or 101% and when I have made changes no double check marks have appeared...

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Are you a proofreader in memoQ? Feb 9, 2012

I think you might want to check whether you are a proofreader, so that the double-check marks appear as you confirm each segment (or blocks of segments).

I still haven't had a chance to upgrade to 5.0, but in 4.5 the option is in the Settings area of the project, by enabling the "Make row proofread..." checkbox.

(All this is based on the assumption that you are working on a local project, not on a server-based project; if a server-based project, ask your customer or pro
... See more
I think you might want to check whether you are a proofreader, so that the double-check marks appear as you confirm each segment (or blocks of segments).

I still haven't had a chance to upgrade to 5.0, but in 4.5 the option is in the Settings area of the project, by enabling the "Make row proofread..." checkbox.

(All this is based on the assumption that you are working on a local project, not on a server-based project; if a server-based project, ask your customer or project manager to assign the file to you as Reviewer 2.)
Collapse

Dorothy Schaps
Germany
Member (2010)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Tomás! Feb 10, 2012

I switched to proofreader mode but there wasn't really any point in re-sorting all the segments as I'd already checked so many (without proofreading status) before the numbers came I just had to scroll through.

Thanks for your help though! At least I'll know for next time!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to filter out numbers in a billingual file?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »