Elsa Trigo
Elsa Trigo  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:28
Member (2006)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Feb 10, 2020

Hi all,

Thank you in advance for any light you can shed on this.

I'm a Trados user very fond of "Translate to fuzzy", but I'm currently using memoQ (8.7) with a client's license for a specific project.

I have made changes to segments on the last files & on the TM that I want to implement on the first files, but I want memoQ to go through the files and stop at segments that differ from the TM, so that I can pick the correct entry/translation.

I
... See more
Hi all,

I'm a Trados user very fond of "Translate to fuzzy", but I'm currently using memoQ (8.7) with a client's license for a specific project.

I have made changes to segments on the last files & on the TM that I want to implement on the first files, but I want memoQ to go through the files and stop at segments that differ from the TM, so that I can pick the correct entry/translation.

I have already searched the web/forums and the possible solution, as far as I can tell, is grayed out: Translation settings> Automatic lookup and insertion> Insert best TM or corpus hit.

Any ideas out there?
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Auto-propagation? Feb 10, 2020

I don't have Trados and thus don't know what "Translate to fuzzy" does, but perhaps it's MemoQ's Auto-propagation feature you need (Translation tab > Translation settings).

TranslateWithMe
TranslateWithMe
Poland
Local time: 10:28
English to Polish
+ ...
What I do... Feb 10, 2020

I have used both Trados and MemoQ, and as far as I could see, there is no equivalent of "Translate to fuzzy" in MemoQ.

But you can do this...go to project and then to your file, then choose Preparation tab and then Pre-translate on the left. On the panel, in Scope and lookup choose Exact match, and on the Confirm/lock tab choose Exact match. This way all 100% matches will be inserted and Confirmed.

Ok, now go to Edit tab, find Go to next command and there is an arrow t
... See more
I have used both Trados and MemoQ, and as far as I could see, there is no equivalent of "Translate to fuzzy" in MemoQ.

But you can do this...go to project and then to your file, then choose Preparation tab and then Pre-translate on the left. On the panel, in Scope and lookup choose Exact match, and on the Confirm/lock tab choose Exact match. This way all 100% matches will be inserted and Confirmed.

Ok, now go to Edit tab, find Go to next command and there is an arrow to choose options there. Choose Settings and there choose (1) Not confirmed in any role.

This will let you skip all "confirmed" segments when you translate the rest of the text.

Once chosen, the options will be retained for other files as well.

So now, you open your file, go to Preparation --- Pre-translate, run the process. All 100% matches should be inserted and Confirmed. When from the first segment you press CRTL + Enter to go to the next segment, you should end up in the next non-100% match, because you will skip all 100% matches.

I hope I remembered this well.

K.

[Edited at 2020-02-10 17:52 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-02-10 17:53 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-02-10 19:34 GMT]
Collapse

Elsa Trigo
Member (2006)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
memoQ lacks such a basic and useful feature Feb 11, 2020

Thank you for your workaround TranslateWithMe.
Not sure that it will work, though, as I already have all segments confirmed/100% in all files.
It's a pitty that memoQ lacks such a basic and useful feature, done so easily in Trados...

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
What does Translate to fuzzy do in Trados? Feb 11, 2020

You haven't told us yet what Translate to fuzzy does in Trados. It's not obvious for non-Trados users to suggest MemoQ solutions if it's not clear what you want.

You said, 'but I want memoQ to go through the files and stop at segments that differ from the TM'. But 'go through the files' can mean all sorts of things.

You also said, 'I have made changes to segments on the last files & on the TM that I want to implement on the first files', but you didn't explain what the
... See more
You haven't told us yet what Translate to fuzzy does in Trados. It's not obvious for non-Trados users to suggest MemoQ solutions if it's not clear what you want.

You said, 'but I want memoQ to go through the files and stop at segments that differ from the TM'. But 'go through the files' can mean all sorts of things.

You also said, 'I have made changes to segments on the last files & on the TM that I want to implement on the first files', but you didn't explain what the 'last files' and 'first files' refer to.
Collapse

TranslateWithMe
TranslateWithMe
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Well.. Feb 11, 2020

It works like that...you put the cursor in the first segment in the file to be translated and choose "Translate to fuzzy" option. Trados starts translating and inserts all 100% matches until it encounters a non-100% match, then it simply stops at such a segment. You translate the segment and again choose "Translate to fuzzy" and again the process goes down the file until you stop at the next non-100% match.

TranslateWithMe
TranslateWithMe
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Solution Feb 11, 2020

Elsa wrote:
"I have made changes to segments on the last files & on the TM that I want to implement on the first files, but I want memoQ to go through the files and stop at segments that differ from the TM, so that I can pick the correct entry/translation."

The only option I can see now is to clear all segments (Preparation --- Clean Translations) in the "first files" that you want to update with changes from the "last files" (or even clear all segments in all files) and do wh
... See more
Elsa wrote:
"I have made changes to segments on the last files & on the TM that I want to implement on the first files, but I want memoQ to go through the files and stop at segments that differ from the TM, so that I can pick the correct entry/translation."

The only option I can see now is to clear all segments (Preparation --- Clean Translations) in the "first files" that you want to update with changes from the "last files" (or even clear all segments in all files) and do what I wrote in my first post - set the appropriate options as described above and run "Pre-translate" on the cleared files. This way you will have updated TM entries in all files.

Or a longer version is to clear all segments and retranslate them segment by segment choosing the right entry from TM.

K.
Collapse

Elsa Trigo
Member (2006)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Translate to fuzzy Feb 11, 2020

"Translate to fuzzy" does this (quote copyed from a post in a Proz forum):

""Translate to Fuzzy" will run through a translation looking for anything in the document that is either different in a translated file than the currently stored TM value or not translated at all... then it stops at this point to give you a chance to make any changes."

Like I said on the 1st post, "I have made changes to segments [equal/same segments that appear throughout the project files] on t
... See more
"Translate to fuzzy" does this (quote copyed from a post in a Proz forum):

""Translate to Fuzzy" will run through a translation looking for anything in the document that is either different in a translated file than the currently stored TM value or not translated at all... then it stops at this point to give you a chance to make any changes."

Like I said on the 1st post, "I have made changes to segments [equal/same segments that appear throughout the project files] on the last files [of the project] & on the TM [using Concordance, edited the TM entries - segments that appear just once or not] that I want to implement on the first files [of the project], but I want memoQ to go through the files and stop at segments that differ from the TM, so that I can pick the correct entry/translation."

Sorry, Thomas, for not making it clearer, but perhaps this is a query for both Trados and memoQ users.
Collapse

mikhailo
mikhailo
Local time: 11:28
English to Russian
+ ...
re Feb 11, 2020

Elsa Trigo wrote:

Hi all,

I have already searched the web/forums and the possible solution, as far as I can tell, is grayed out: Translation settings> Automatic lookup and insertion> Insert best TM or corpus hit.

Any ideas out there?

MQ - the most powerfull and have a lot of badly organized settings. SO AS ALWAYS RTFHELP

Edit- Go to Next - Settings — and Ypu will see a lot of setting that much more powerful, that in Trados.

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
First/last files Feb 11, 2020

When you refer to 'first files' and 'last files', you imply they are sorted in a particular order. A-Z? Is the sort order important? Or do you just mean you've made changes to 'some files' and want to implement the same changes to 'other files'?

You also seem to imply that what you call the 'first files' have already been fully or partially translated by you or someone else, but you don't say.

If they had not already been translated, you could simply use auto-propagatio
... See more
When you refer to 'first files' and 'last files', you imply they are sorted in a particular order. A-Z? Is the sort order important? Or do you just mean you've made changes to 'some files' and want to implement the same changes to 'other files'?

You also seem to imply that what you call the 'first files' have already been fully or partially translated by you or someone else, but you don't say.

If they had not already been translated, you could simply use auto-propagation or pre-translation. But it seems you need to choose between an existing translation (from you or someone else) and the TM entries.

I wonder if you could use the filtering associated with the Go to function (Ctrl+Shift+G) – or just plain filtering – to identify the segments you need, but I'm not sure.

https://docs.memoq.com/current/en/Places/go-to-next-segment.html
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Pre-translate Feb 11, 2020

TranslateWithMe wrote:

It works like that...you put the cursor in the first segment in the file to be translated and choose "Translate to fuzzy" option. Trados starts translating and inserts all 100% matches until it encounters a non-100% match, then it simply stops at such a segment. You translate the segment and again choose "Translate to fuzzy" and again the process goes down the file until you stop at the next non-100% match.

As far as I can see, you could do almost the same in MemoQ by starting with pre-translate and then going through the file manually, but the sequence would be different. In MemoQ, pre-translate would insert all the 100% matches in one go, and then the translator would use 'Go to' to skip the already inserted/confirmed 100% matches.

Elsa Trigo
Member (2006)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The workflow is: Feb 11, 2020

The workflow is:

You have a project with ten files.

You start on the 1st file and fully translate it, and so on until no. 5. All segments of these files are now 100%.

You get to file no. 6 and you decide to change a previous segment translation (that appears on file no. 3, for example). So, on file no. 6, you translate that segment differently from file no. 3.

During no. 10 file translation, you spot a TM hit that you fix on the TM itself (doub
... See more
The workflow is:

You have a project with ten files.

You start on the 1st file and fully translate it, and so on until no. 5. All segments of these files are now 100%.

You get to file no. 6 and you decide to change a previous segment translation (that appears on file no. 3, for example). So, on file no. 6, you translate that segment differently from file no. 3.

During no. 10 file translation, you spot a TM hit that you fix on the TM itself (double spaces, for example – a segment that is 100% on a file from this project).

So now you have all files translated, with all segments 100%, but you have equal segments translated differently on the files/on the TM.

What I do here is open the files, one by one, press ctrl+alt+f on the 1st segment and violà, Trados screens the segments and stops when they differ from the TM, so that I can choose the translation I want (I do want to see the differences). Almost like a review. Simple, isn’t it?
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
I'd use a view Feb 11, 2020

When a project has more than one file, I usually create a view that includes all the files. Then I work on the view. This is like working on one single file. When I confirm or change a segment, auto-propagation will automatically update the other segments with the same source, either backwards and forwards, or just forwards, and it will optionally confirm these other segments. That way, the problem you experience is less likely to occur in the first place.

Of course, there can be a
... See more
When a project has more than one file, I usually create a view that includes all the files. Then I work on the view. This is like working on one single file. When I confirm or change a segment, auto-propagation will automatically update the other segments with the same source, either backwards and forwards, or just forwards, and it will optionally confirm these other segments. That way, the problem you experience is less likely to occur in the first place.

Of course, there can be a few cases where you need different translations of the same source, so you need to be careful with these settings.

To fix the problem you have now, you could still create a view, and then run a QA on that view. Segments with identical source but different translations will be flagged. Then you can fix them manually.
Collapse

Kay-Viktor Stegemann

mikhailo
mikhailo
Local time: 11:28
English to Russian
+ ...
re Feb 11, 2020

Elsa Trigo wrote:
What I do here is open the files, one by one, press ctrl+alt+f on the 1st segment and violà, Trados screens the segments and stops when they differ from the TM, so that I can choose the translation I want (I do want to see the differences). Almost like a review. Simple, isn’t it?

Autopropagation = ON

Edit- Go to Next - Settings —>>>> and set on COMMON FILTERS tab - Not Confirmed (Goto next unconfirmed) or on STATUS tab - match rate 0-99% or any other (Goto next fuzzy seg)

AND RTFM

Elsa Trigo
Member (2006)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'll give it a try Feb 11, 2020

Thank you for your input, Thomas, I'll give it a try.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I use a function in memoQ similar to Trados “Translate to fuzzy”

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »