Temporarily turn off autosuggest (MemoQ 9.8)
Thread poster: Adieu
Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Jul 8, 2021

I've got an odd revision job that, due to some server issues and multiple manual manipulations by a number of people trying to get it to work again, now has actually-human-translated segments marked grey (= "not worked on by anyone"). The translation is there, it's just that MemoQ thinks it hasn't been touched by anybody yet.

Which wasn't a problem for 2/3 of the job, but then it suddenly kicked into autosuggest mode and started overwriting the translator's work with junk like MT or
... See more
I've got an odd revision job that, due to some server issues and multiple manual manipulations by a number of people trying to get it to work again, now has actually-human-translated segments marked grey (= "not worked on by anyone"). The translation is there, it's just that MemoQ thinks it hasn't been touched by anybody yet.

Which wasn't a problem for 2/3 of the job, but then it suddenly kicked into autosuggest mode and started overwriting the translator's work with junk like MT or 65% matches like 1 second after I click into the segment.... and, due to an oddity of how grey segments work, they have no viewable/revertable edit history.

Suggestions? Ideas? Anything better than taking photos of segments before clicking on them?

PS oh and of course I'm locked out of MT plugin settings.

[Edited at 2021-07-08 16:49 GMT]
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:18
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Disable automatic insertion! Jul 8, 2021

Adieu wrote:
Suggestions? Ideas? Anything better than taking photos of segments before clicking on them?

Please, do not take pictures!

So that memoQ will not replace your translations with whatever it has in the TM (or any other source), simply disable Automatically insert best result after confirming segments: in the Automatic lookup and insertion dialog box. You find this dialog in the ribbon, Translation, Translation Settings drop-down button, Automatic lookup and insertion tab.

Now, your draft translations should stay when you confirm a segment and go to the next. I hope this helps!

Adieu

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:18
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Another approach Jul 8, 2021

Another way to handle this is to keep automatic insertion on, but instead change the status of your segments to Edited, from the current Not Started. Segments with the Edited status are not replaced by automatic lookup and insertion, but segments that are Not Started are.

Select all segments you wish to review (maybe everything), in the ribbon, in the Preparation, button Change Segment Status, choose the new status.

I find that
... See more
Another way to handle this is to keep automatic insertion on, but instead change the status of your segments to Edited, from the current Not Started. Segments with the Edited status are not replaced by automatic lookup and insertion, but segments that are Not Started are.

Select all segments you wish to review (maybe everything), in the ribbon, in the Preparation, button Change Segment Status, choose the new status.

I find that this change of status is quite useful in PEMT situations where pretranslated segments you get from your clients / your own MT are not that good and you have better, reviewed segments in your TM you can use to save time with a few changes. By changing MT-translated segments to a Not started status, you benefit from automatic lookup and insertion with your own curated resources from a match level you decide yourself (again, in the Automatic lookup and insertion settings). We in our translation office go this route all the time when we receive pretranslated PEMT files in XLIFF format for translation that are not necessarily good.
Collapse

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
First method worked Jul 8, 2021

Thanks!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Temporarily turn off autosuggest (MemoQ 9.8)

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »