Embedded text - how to charge?
Autor vlákna: Cindy Leonardini
Cindy Leonardini
Cindy Leonardini
Local time: 13:48
němčina -> angličtina
Jan 14, 2002

I have received a project wherein I have to translate the embedded text within the HTML text and various scripts. Effectively, the actual word count, I have to translate would be about a quarter of total word count. My concern is,

1) How do I charge for this? Based on total word count of the source or based on actual text translated?

2) If the later, how do I do the word count? The text to be translated is scattered throughout the document and is embedde
... See more
I have received a project wherein I have to translate the embedded text within the HTML text and various scripts. Effectively, the actual word count, I have to translate would be about a quarter of total word count. My concern is,

1) How do I charge for this? Based on total word count of the source or based on actual text translated?

2) If the later, how do I do the word count? The text to be translated is scattered throughout the document and is embedded within various tags and codes.

I appreciate the suggestions of the experts.
Collapse

Ramón Esquivel
Ramón Esquivel  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 12:48
Člen (2002)
angličtina -> španělština
Embedded text Jan 17, 2002

Hi Cindyleo,

Although I don\'t consider myself an \'expert\', I am quite familiar translating websites.

An easy way for starters is by stripping the tags. You can do this with Notetab Light (MODIFY/STRIP HTML TAGS), a free Text Editor which also have a Statistics feature (TOOLS/TEXT STATISTICS) to count the words.

After stripping the tags, you\'ll get the TRANSLATABLE text.

Obviously, you\'ll have to put the translated tex
... See more
Hi Cindyleo,

Although I don\'t consider myself an \'expert\', I am quite familiar translating websites.

An easy way for starters is by stripping the tags. You can do this with Notetab Light (MODIFY/STRIP HTML TAGS), a free Text Editor which also have a Statistics feature (TOOLS/TEXT STATISTICS) to count the words.

After stripping the tags, you\'ll get the TRANSLATABLE text.

Obviously, you\'ll have to put the translated text back into the right tags!

Also, there are several free apps specifically designed to translate HTML pages.

Example: HTML Translator 2.5, and 3 or 4 more that you could find easily on the web.

The advantage of using these apps is that they help you to deal with tags.

In my normal work, I apply a different approach. I use SDL, which takes care of stripping and putting back the translation inside the proper tags, and of course, it also does the counting.

By the way, EMBEDDED is not the best word here. You just want to translate HTML pages.

With regard to rates, as far as I know, you only charge the \'translatable\' words.

Hope this helps you.

Ramon Esquivel
Collapse

Shane Wall
Shane Wall  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 00:48
vietnamština -> angličtina
+ ...
HTML Quote - WebBudget Jan 17, 2002

Hi Cindy,

You might want to take a look at www.webbudget.com

It sounds like this is just the tool you are looking for. Hope it helps you out.

Cheers,

Shane

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
Francie
Local time: 19:48
němčina -> angličtina
+ ...
Hmmmm.... Jan 17, 2002

If you use Trados, you can use Tag Editor to translate the embedded HTML without disturbing the tags and get a word count at the end of the day (I think, though I\'ve never tried it).

The other option for translating HTML files is to use Transweb Express (freeware from Berlitz, download it from their site). Or to translate in your usual WP program and hope you don\'t mess up the tags. If you go for either of these options, I would charge by the hour (although there are many
... See more
If you use Trados, you can use Tag Editor to translate the embedded HTML without disturbing the tags and get a word count at the end of the day (I think, though I\'ve never tried it).

The other option for translating HTML files is to use Transweb Express (freeware from Berlitz, download it from their site). Or to translate in your usual WP program and hope you don\'t mess up the tags. If you go for either of these options, I would charge by the hour (although there are many arguments for and against hourly charging - and I believe some translators\' associations even recommend not to charge this way).

HTH

Alison
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Embedded text - how to charge?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »