Which payment options are available from agencies - who should bear transfer fees?
Thread poster: Annerose MB
Annerose MB
Annerose MB  Identity Verified

Local time: 10:24
English to French
Sep 27, 2004

just wondering if it is normal for an agency:
. to offer only check or wire transfer
. to charge the translator for the wire bank fee (deducted from the payment).

For a short translation of 80 GPB, the wire fee would cost me GPB 21 ... The check could be a problem with Japanese banks. The agency is in UK.

thanks,

[Edited at 2004-09-27 19:46]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2004-09-27 19:46]

Jörgen Slet
Jörgen Slet  Identity Verified
Estonia
Local time: 11:24
English to Estonian
+ ...
So far all US agencies I've dealt with have had me pay all transfer fees Sep 27, 2004

So far all US agencies I've dealt with have required, in advance or afterwards, that I pay all transfer fees. Most European agencies I've dealt with have split the bank transfer fees - they paid their banks' charges for sending, I paid my bank's charges for receiving.

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 11:24
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
We bear bank charges Sep 28, 2004

when paying our translators and all our European clients bear their when paying us.
US and Canada is another matter, some Agencies there have some limit (e.g., invoice less than US 1000- bank charges on you, more than US 1000- charges on them) or they send cheques. Therefore, IMHO, it is not worth while to take small jobs (less than few hundred bucks) from America.

Uldis

Jörgen wrote:

So far all US agencies I've dealt with have required, in advance or afterwards, that I pay all transfer fees. Most European agencies I've dealt with have split the bank transfer fees - they paid their banks' charges for sending, I paid my bank's charges for receiving.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which payment options are available from agencies - who should bear transfer fees?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »