Thread poster: Megan Campbell
Megan Campbell
Megan Campbell
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:45
Japanese to English
Mar 30

Hello,

I am a beginner freelance Japanese to English subtitler based in the UK.

I have decided my rate based on the amount I want to earn in a year and the number of hours I want to work.

I was happy with my rate until I found out it is way below the UK average minimum (£6-£13 per minute).

I was hoping someone could help me understand why the minimum starts from around £6.

£6 per minute seems expensive to me. I am sure
... See more
Hello,

I am a beginner freelance Japanese to English subtitler based in the UK.

I have decided my rate based on the amount I want to earn in a year and the number of hours I want to work.

I was happy with my rate until I found out it is way below the UK average minimum (£6-£13 per minute).

I was hoping someone could help me understand why the minimum starts from around £6.

£6 per minute seems expensive to me. I am sure there is something I am not taking into account.
Collapse

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 13:45
German to Swedish
+ ...
Perspective Apr 1

25 years ago I did subtitling of 20-minute sitcoms for around $80 each (about 200 subtitles per episode, no spotting).
Inflation-adjusted, that would be something like $144 today, or $7 per minute. The work took 3-5 hours and the pay felt like a living wage then, but no more than that.

[Bearbeitet am 2024-04-01 18:58 GMT]

Dalia Nour

Robert Rutledge
Robert Rutledge  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:45
Member (2021)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Things to consider Apr 1

As someone active in the subtitling field, there are a lot of things to consider. In my language combination, Spanish-to-English, the äverage minimum rate you have posted, £6-£13 per minute, does seem quite high. I am used to working for substantially less than that.

However, there are other factors to consider. Does your client provide you with a source language template? Will you be responsible for timing?

Take into consideration these other factors. The rate you h
... See more
As someone active in the subtitling field, there are a lot of things to consider. In my language combination, Spanish-to-English, the äverage minimum rate you have posted, £6-£13 per minute, does seem quite high. I am used to working for substantially less than that.

However, there are other factors to consider. Does your client provide you with a source language template? Will you be responsible for timing?

Take into consideration these other factors. The rate you have posted would perhaps be a suitable rate for a client who is expecting you to provide subtitles from scratch. But if they provide you with a template and the subtitles have already been timed, I'd say you could make a decent income with roughly half that rate if you incorporate post-editing of machine translation into your workflow to speed things up.
Collapse

Dalia Nour

Megan Campbell
Megan Campbell
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:45
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Apr 3

@JoakimBraun: Thanks for your insight! That makes a lot of sense.

@RobertRutledge: That’s interesting. I hadn’t considered that before. Thanks for your insight!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Beginner Subtitler Requesting Help Understanding Subtitling Rates

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »