How to deal with clients who refuse to pay ?
Thread poster: cailin
cailin
cailin
German to English
+ ...
Jan 10, 2003

Dear colleagues,

I have just received an email from a client who is refusing to pay a job i turned in yesterday. Is there anything I can do to make sure I receive the pay I deserve? Any advice?

(By the way, is the list of agencies who do not pay properly or on time only available to paying members of Proz?)

Thx.

Elvira Stoianov
Elvira Stoianov  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Local time: 13:09
German to Romanian
+ ...
The BlueBoard (list of agencies) is available to anyone Jan 10, 2003

You can acces the details by spending 50 BrowniZ points. You only have to spend the points once to gain permanent access to that particular agencies ratings. So this mean that you have to spend 50 for each agency, but you can access them for free after that.

[ This Message was edited by:on2003-01-10 14:42]

TimeinTime (X)
TimeinTime (X)
English to French
+ ...
blue board is ok but.. Jan 21, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-01-10 14:46, 1964 wrote:

As much as I know Non-paying members only pay via their Brownies points.

Brownies earned by agree/disagrees, site translation, entering terms in your dictionary etc.. You may learn how to gain brownies from your Wallet and Brownies link in your profile.

You may see FAQ section

\"Non Platinum members can view the Details for an agency for 50 BrowniZ per agency.... See more
Quote:

On 2003-01-10 14:46, 1964 wrote:

As much as I know Non-paying members only pay via their Brownies points.

Brownies earned by agree/disagrees, site translation, entering terms in your dictionary etc.. You may learn how to gain brownies from your Wallet and Brownies link in your profile.

You may see FAQ section

\"Non Platinum members can view the Details for an agency for 50 BrowniZ per agency. Platinum members have unlimited access to the Details for all agencies. \"

-------------

In my general opinion, any job done should be paid. Even if you delivered a job needing a proofreading or some correction that may not be a pretext to default on agenc\'s side. If agency is not satisfied with your work may prefer another translator next time, however they must pay your labour this time.

if the agency has decided to not pay for your work, even if you put it on the blue board, it will not pay you,blue board is not a way to have your money it is only for other people not work with it. ▲ Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:09
English to German
+ ...
Establish your legal position Jan 21, 2003

Did you get a written purchase order for that job, or was a contract signed? If yes, the client will have to give reasons for non-payment; if these are unfounded, you can pass the case to a collection agency, or pursue your legal options (obviously depending on the amount at stake).

It\'s very difficult to give you more advice without knowing more details (such as the jurisdiction(s) involved, contractual relationships, etc.).

cailin
cailin
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It's one of those "if I knew then what I know now" cases Jan 22, 2003

No, unfortunately I had no written agreement - it was a last minute thing which, in hindsight I can see had \"I wouldn\'t touch this job with a 10 foot barge pole if I were you\" written all over it - but I wanted to help the client and agreed to do the job without taking all factors (such as an eventual non-payment) into consideration. (ignorance is bliss and all that...)

The money (or lack of) isn\'t the problem, as it was \"only\" 30 euros. No, it was the way in which th
... See more
No, unfortunately I had no written agreement - it was a last minute thing which, in hindsight I can see had \"I wouldn\'t touch this job with a 10 foot barge pole if I were you\" written all over it - but I wanted to help the client and agreed to do the job without taking all factors (such as an eventual non-payment) into consideration. (ignorance is bliss and all that...)

The money (or lack of) isn\'t the problem, as it was \"only\" 30 euros. No, it was the way in which the agency suddenly turned, they became extremely rude and acted very unprofessionally - but that\'s another story. I wrote a letter to the agency director explaining how the project manager point blankly refused to pay me the (verbally) agreed 2 hours and she offered to pay me 1 hour\'s work (15 euro) \"to prove that there are no ill feelings\"... needless to say, they can keep their money.

I guess in this case, I\'ve learned my lesson and the importance of having all conditions clearly laid out in writing (& signed), no matter how charming the agency may come across...

Thanks for all suggestions anyway - (I checked out the blueboard by the way and made sure to add my two penny worth).

Regards from Spain
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to deal with clients who refuse to pay ?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »