Agency behaving unprofessionally
Thread poster: Klaus Dorn (X)
Klaus Dorn (X)
Klaus Dorn (X)
Local time: 13:21
German to English
+ ...
Feb 1, 2003

I applied to the job http://www.proz.com/job?id=31391, which is advertised at $0.08 per word.

I received an email from the following email address (which was not the one given in the job posting!) [email protected], asking me whether I was available for a project for $0.05 - not stating size nor subject. I assumed this was unrelated and replied that
... See more
I applied to the job http://www.proz.com/job?id=31391, which is advertised at $0.08 per word.

I received an email from the following email address (which was not the one given in the job posting!) [email protected], asking me whether I was available for a project for $0.05 - not stating size nor subject. I assumed this was unrelated and replied that it would depend on the size, subject and delivery time of the project.

I was then again contacted from Verbus Translations in Italy and assigned a sizeable portion of the original job. When I confirmed the receipt of the file, I (since somewhat confused), asked them to confirm the rate of $0.08 and low and behold received the following reply:

\"Please accept US$0.05 per word since it\'s a new client and I don\'t want to lose him.\"

I find this quite unprofessional - looking for translators on ProZ advertising an already low, but for me acceptable price and then trying to lower the price even further by doing the aforesaid.

Any opinions?

By the way, I saw that the job poster also has an empty profile on ProZ...

Collapse

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 07:21
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
ProZ.com staff has been alerted Feb 1, 2003

Benedict/Verbus has been already requested by ProZ.com staff do not use the job system due to many complaints.

ProZ.com staff has been alerted about this case and they will investigate if on this instance we have two unrelated users or the same user posting under a false profile.

Please send all details in your hand to the site staff using the Support page.

Thank you for your posting.

Gianfranco

English>Italian
... See more
Benedict/Verbus has been already requested by ProZ.com staff do not use the job system due to many complaints.

ProZ.com staff has been alerted about this case and they will investigate if on this instance we have two unrelated users or the same user posting under a false profile.

Please send all details in your hand to the site staff using the Support page.

Thank you for your posting.

Gianfranco

English>Italian moderator

[ This Message was edited by:on2003-02-01 18:07]
Collapse

sylver
sylver  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:21
English to French
Scam Feb 2, 2003

Quote:

Benedict, Posta and Verbus all sums up to a somewhat psychotic girl called Patricia Pari.

She is one of the few people able to tell you \"white\", assure you that she really meant \"black\", and that you should have guessed it all grey.

Unless you want a first hand experience of what non-consequitur really means, I strongly recomand you steer clear.

See the Blue board for... See more
Quote:

Benedict, Posta and Verbus all sums up to a somewhat psychotic girl called Patricia Pari.

She is one of the few people able to tell you \"white\", assure you that she really meant \"black\", and that you should have guessed it all grey.

Unless you want a first hand experience of what non-consequitur really means, I strongly recomand you steer clear.

See the Blue board for more data

Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 06:21
SITE FOUNDER
Use the Blue Board Feb 2, 2003

Please refrain from making public comments about agencies or individuals. Do not speculate or pass along information you have heard from others. Instead, use the Blue Board to comment on your likelihood of accepting future assignments from agencies with which you have already worked.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:21
English to German
+ ...
Thanks, Henry Feb 2, 2003

I take it you\'re going to follow up the case involved here. I\'m locking this thread.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Agency behaving unprofessionally

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »