VAT within UK
Thread poster: Lucy Price (X)
Lucy Price (X)
Lucy Price (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:42
Swedish to English
Feb 9, 2003

All the translation work I\'ve done so far has been for clients outside the UK, therefore I don\'t charge VAT.

However, I\'ve recently done some work for a UK firm and am just about to invoice them - I\'m confused as to whether I should be charging VAT or not?? If anyone could clarify I would be most grateful!

thanks.

Mary Worby
Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
VAT registration Feb 10, 2003

In the UK, you need to earn around GBP 50,000 per year (give or take a few thousand, I don\'t know the exact figure) before you have to register for VAT. Unless you are earning this much you do not have to. If you are earning this much, it is mandatory that you register for VAT and apply it on all UK invoices.

You may register for VAT if you earn less than the VAT threshold. This has advantages in terms of reclaiming VAT on purchases, but does mean additional paperwork.
... See more
In the UK, you need to earn around GBP 50,000 per year (give or take a few thousand, I don\'t know the exact figure) before you have to register for VAT. Unless you are earning this much you do not have to. If you are earning this much, it is mandatory that you register for VAT and apply it on all UK invoices.

You may register for VAT if you earn less than the VAT threshold. This has advantages in terms of reclaiming VAT on purchases, but does mean additional paperwork.

HTH

Mary
Collapse

Lucy Price (X)
Lucy Price (X)
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
TOPIC STARTER
VAT registration - Feb 10, 2003

Thankyou!

Quote:

On 2003-02-10 08:06, MaryR wrote:

You may register for VAT if yo... See more
Thankyou!

Quote:

On 2003-02-10 08:06, MaryR wrote:

HTH

Mary

Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

VAT within UK

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »