Nadja Leonard
Nadja Leonard
United States
Local time: 05:07
Member (2004)
German to English
+ ...
Feb 10, 2003

I am a New York-based translator who recently completed a project for an Italian-based agency. They plan to wire payment into my U.S. bank account and have asked me how to handle deducting taxes.

How do U.S. translators handle paying taxes when working with non-U.S. based agencies?

Thanks.

Nadja

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:07
German to English
+ ...
Nothing gets deducted Feb 11, 2003

What taxes are they talking about? I am also US-based and work for customers abroad. I pay quarterly estimated income taxes to my state and the IRS. This gets squared up at the end of the year (i.e. if I made more money than estimated, I pay the difference I owe in taxes). I am not sure what taxes they think need to be taken out. If you are a US citizen resident in the US, you certainly don\'t owe any Italian taxes.

Nadja Leonard
Nadja Leonard
United States
Local time: 05:07
Member (2004)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Daina Feb 11, 2003

Daina,

Thank you for your reply. I\'m not sure what taxes they are talking about. The Italian agency asked me \"how I usually handle the issue of taxes when working with foreign agencies.\"

I am a US citizen and US resident. I\'ll ask them to send me full payment, and then declare the money to my tax accountant in April.

Thanks again for your reply.

Nadja

Quote:
... See more
Daina,

Thank you for your reply. I\'m not sure what taxes they are talking about. The Italian agency asked me \"how I usually handle the issue of taxes when working with foreign agencies.\"

I am a US citizen and US resident. I\'ll ask them to send me full payment, and then declare the money to my tax accountant in April.

Thanks again for your reply.

Nadja

Quote:

On 2003-02-11 15:41, Daina wrote:

What taxes are they talking about? I am also US-based and work for customers abroad. I pay quarterly estimated income taxes to my state and the IRS. This gets squared up at the end of the year (i.e. if I made more money than estimated, I pay the difference I owe in taxes). I am not sure what taxes they think need to be taken out. If you are a US citizen resident in the US, you certainly don\'t owe any Italian taxes.

Collapse

nimrodtran
nimrodtran
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I can tell you about Spain... Feb 14, 2003

and as far as the European tax legislation is more or less the same in that matters, I\'m almost sure that Italy is not different (by the way, I worked once for an Italian agency):

Probably, the tax authorities at Italy will ask them to produce a certificate that you pay taxes in US (\"Good compliance\" from IRS; I believe that\'s the name), in order to avoid double taxing.

Send it and keep a copy for yourself, just in case.

And that
... See more
and as far as the European tax legislation is more or less the same in that matters, I\'m almost sure that Italy is not different (by the way, I worked once for an Italian agency):

Probably, the tax authorities at Italy will ask them to produce a certificate that you pay taxes in US (\"Good compliance\" from IRS; I believe that\'s the name), in order to avoid double taxing.

Send it and keep a copy for yourself, just in case.

And that\'s all. As an American taxpayer, you\'re exempted from Italian VAT and direct taxes.

Best regards,

Emilio

[ This Message was edited by:on2003-02-14 16:05]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

tax question

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »