Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Off topic: What musical instrument/s do you play?
Thread poster: Tom in London
Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:02
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Nov 14, 2022

...and how would you describe your level of competency at playing it/them?

Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:02
Italian to English
+ ...
Flatwound precision bass, acoustic guitar, el cajon, voice Nov 14, 2022

1/2 man band, definitely not a pro.

[Edited at 2022-11-14 08:31 GMT]

Tom in London

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
*raises hand* Nov 14, 2022

Is mayonnaise an instrument?

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Depressing Nov 14, 2022

We've had 14 pages of responses to the question "what music are you listening to?" And only a total of three responses, so far, to the more interesting question "what do you play?"

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
The clarinet Nov 14, 2022

I can play, but not prima vista.

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
Harmonica Nov 14, 2022

My dad used to teach me how to play a harmonica. He even disassembled one just to show me the way it works. I… have forgotten everything about it, unfortunately.

Otherwise, I don’t really play a musical instrument.

Merab Dekano
Merab Dekano  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Saxony orchestra Nov 14, 2022

Tom in London wrote:

We've had 14 pages of responses to the question "what music are you listening to?" And only a total of three responses, so far, to the more interesting question "what do you play?"

Perhaps because (i) musical talent is not common, and (ii) to master a musical instrument you need to dedicate most of your time to learning how to play it well (turn it into your profession).

Listening to music does not require (i) or (ii).

I have a harmonica (Saxony Orchestra chromatic; the one with G2-F6 range) and I can play, with errors, vocal lines from some tenor arias (amateur level minus). I wish I had more time to practice it, or more talent to play it well.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Mastery Nov 14, 2022

But we're not talking about talent, or mastery or playing well. Just playing.

Merab Dekano

Merab Dekano
Merab Dekano  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
A dream Nov 14, 2022

Well. Then, I say this is my dream: to be able to play decently vocal lines from all the opera arias I like. Unrealistic, though (given my workload and erratic schedule). I wish I had more lives.

Eduard Urgell
Eduard Urgell  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Some strings, some wind Nov 14, 2022

It's great to see some fellow translators are also on the musical boat. At a point in my life I toyed with the idea of becoming a professional musician, but I ended up with translation because is languages is what I think I am made for.

To answer your question, my main instrument is guitar, and then I also play some piano and trumpet. Since it's quite difficult to find the time to practice that much, my skills keep worsening as time goes by...

MollyRose
MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:02
English to Spanish
+ ...
piano Nov 14, 2022

I'm not sure this counts, since I don't play any more for various reasons, including arthritis in my fingers, and the last time I moved from a humid to dry climate, I gave away my piano so the soundboard would not crack.

Level of competence: I used to play quite well. I played Mozart, Grieg, Beethoven, Bach, etc. and also church music. Sometimes I was the pianist for my church, and I occasionally played for weddings.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Keyboards Nov 14, 2022

I used to play a Kurzweil SP88X but it died (electronically).

Screenshot

Now I play a Casio PX-S300, which is excellent and has a basic grand piano sound sampled from a Hamburg Steinway. So it sounds marvellous.

PX-S3000BK_P_CS-68PBK_SP-34_aspect

Emanuele Vacca

Jan Truper
Jan Truper  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
Electric Guitar… Nov 14, 2022

…and I'm pretty effing good -- I used to practice obsessively when I was an adolescent, and I actually have a diploma from this place: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musicians_Institute

[Edited at 2022-11-14 17:52 GMT]

Emanuele Vacca
Emanuele Vacca  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2020)
English to Italian
Many but none of them well Nov 14, 2022

I currently play the piano, the guitar (in the fingerpicking style) and the ukulele. The first instrument that I've learnt how to play were the drums but I haven't played them for years now. I would say that I am a beginner-intermediate of guitar and piano, a beginner of ukulele (I basically know every basic chord shape although that's everything I know) and, at least the last time I played them, I was an intermediate-advanced player of the drums. As you can probably guess, my error was trying t... See more
I currently play the piano, the guitar (in the fingerpicking style) and the ukulele. The first instrument that I've learnt how to play were the drums but I haven't played them for years now. I would say that I am a beginner-intermediate of guitar and piano, a beginner of ukulele (I basically know every basic chord shape although that's everything I know) and, at least the last time I played them, I was an intermediate-advanced player of the drums. As you can probably guess, my error was trying to learn many instruments without mastering any of them. But at the same time, I have always been fascinated by multi-instrumentalists, so I am kind of proud that I can play nice stuff especially on the piano and the guitar. Plus, there are not so many fingerstyle guitar players here in Italy, so that's something people appreciate, especially because it enables to sing while playing nice accompaniments instead of basic strumming patterns. Oh, and I have also been singing with choirs for a few years now, although I am not sure it counts as an instrument.

[Edited at 2022-11-14 18:29 GMT]

[Edited at 2022-11-14 18:31 GMT]
Collapse

Tom in London

Cilian O'Tuama
Cilian O'Tuama  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
What makes this Q more interesting? Nov 15, 2022

Tom in London wrote:

It's not a competition, Tom.

That other thread has been going since 2021, so no surprise it's longer than yesterday's posting from you.

I for one would much rather listen to something new (+good) than learn about what instrument a peer plays/played.
Others may be otherwise inclined.

There's no reason why both Qs can't co-exist

Christopher Schröder

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What musical instrument/s do you play?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »