Thread poster: Andrus Lauringson
Andrus Lauringson
Andrus Lauringson  Identity Verified
Estonia
Local time: 20:46
Member (2022)
English to Estonian
Jul 23, 2023

Because of a task, I happened to read about the Tetris effect: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetris_effect

It's seems to be quite well known and a part of it sounded all too familiar: "an activity that begins to pattern /.../ dreams".

After working longer (or intense) hours, I sometimes still continue translating or editing segments in my dreams, searching for termin
... See more
Because of a task, I happened to read about the Tetris effect: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetris_effect

It's seems to be quite well known and a part of it sounded all too familiar: "an activity that begins to pattern /.../ dreams".

After working longer (or intense) hours, I sometimes still continue translating or editing segments in my dreams, searching for terminology, googling (while realizing that it's a dream and the google results can't be trusted), shuffling words around, etc – it's not really a nightmare like someone chasing you with a knife as your feet have turned to Nutella or your teeth falling out while you're at school again (buck naked of course), but it's not a restful a sleep either. Was wondering if some translators have experienced the same? Surely people have.
Collapse

Elena Feriani
Zea_Mays
P.L.F. Persio

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:46
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Only... Jul 23, 2023

...sweet dreams, for example that AI does exist only in novels written by Stanislav Lem and that I'm able to adapt my rates to inflation each year and that "London" based agencies are truely settled in London/UK and not in Moldova.

Andrus Lauringson
Metin Demirel
Jorge Payan
Gennady Lapardin

Vera Schoen
Vera Schoen  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 19:46
Member (2008)
German to Swedish
+ ...
Yes! Jul 24, 2023

Only last night.
And the awful thing was - just as you wrote - that I *knew* I was dreaming.

[Edited at 2023-07-24 11:18 GMT]

Zea_Mays
Andrus Lauringson

Denis Fesik
Denis Fesik
English to Russian
+ ...
I wrote about it here but didn't know the name Jul 24, 2023

So, yes, this happens, and the translation is always tough and long-winding, I'm never quite happy with the results, and I wake up tired. Editing jobs also come to me in dreams sometimes, and they are even worse. Too good this doesn't happen too often. I do have good dreams, too. Falling from one dream into another, feeling sad that the last dream was a dream so you could no longer fly, and then realizing that you can, so this time it must be for real. Trying to see colors, to smash something ha... See more
So, yes, this happens, and the translation is always tough and long-winding, I'm never quite happy with the results, and I wake up tired. Editing jobs also come to me in dreams sometimes, and they are even worse. Too good this doesn't happen too often. I do have good dreams, too. Falling from one dream into another, feeling sad that the last dream was a dream so you could no longer fly, and then realizing that you can, so this time it must be for real. Trying to see colors, to smash something hard, to run fast, to pinch your arm and feel pain, and all those things they say you can't do in a dream. All tests passed: you're officially not dreaming and can fly. I had such chains that were up to three dreams long, so by the last one I was pretty confident it finally happened. Who cares that the world around is so different: it all still feels very real. And I always use the same technique for flyingCollapse

Andrus Lauringson

Andrus Lauringson
Estonia
Member (2022)
English to Estonian
TOPIC STARTER
This! Jul 24, 2023

Vera Schoen wrote:

Only last night.
And the awful thing was - just as you wrote - that I *knew* I was dreaming.

[Edited at 2023-07-24 11:18 GMT]

Exactly. Knowing that the whole dream "work" is meaningless and useless is part of – while not being able to leave it.

Vera Schoen

Andrus Lauringson
Estonia
Member (2022)
English to Estonian
TOPIC STARTER
Ha! Jul 24, 2023

Matthias Brombach wrote:

...sweet dreams, for example that AI does exist only in novels written by Stanislav Lem and that I'm able to adapt my rates to inflation each year and that "London" based agencies are truely settled in London/UK and not in Moldova.

Yes, the "London" or "NY"-based agencies I expect the Tetris effect to affect translators exactly because of the AI assistance (or "assistance") where you have to decide in seconds whether the MT-translated segment is good, whether to shuffle the words for a more natural word order, check the consistency, the terminology, and so on and so forth to match the required level of human translation, doing this for your whole workday.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tetris effect?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »