Thread poster: Francisco Jiménez
Francisco Jiménez
Francisco Jiménez
Honduras
Local time: 13:44
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 2, 2023

I found this article on Substack and wanted to share it with the ProZ community. Translators have adopted many technologies into their work. Artificial Intelligence is the latest, offering both new challenges and opportunities for translators. This is the topic of the article, which can be read or listened to.

I am wondering what other translators think about the article. Are you already using AI when you translate? Will AI improve the quality or quantity of your translation? Do yo
... See more
I found this article on Substack and wanted to share it with the ProZ community. Translators have adopted many technologies into their work. Artificial Intelligence is the latest, offering both new challenges and opportunities for translators. This is the topic of the article, which can be read or listened to.

I am wondering what other translators think about the article. Are you already using AI when you translate? Will AI improve the quality or quantity of your translation? Do you fear losing work due to AI or that you may have to leave the profession?

Here's the article: https://www.understandingai.org/p/how-human-translators-are-coping
Collapse

Denis Fesik
Denis Fesik
Local time: 22:44
English to Russian
+ ...
This article is surely more balanced than some alarmist posts here Aug 3, 2023

I use a small, free, NN-powered translation engine but wouldn't be willing to pay for an AI-enabled solution (based on my tests on machinetranslation.com, it wouldn't help me much with the kind of work I do). I wonder, however, if there are many customers in the translation market who say things like, "You must use our AI software and reduce your rate by 50%." My work is a black box; who cares what tools I use (as long as they keep my work confidential) and why should anyone force me to use a sp... See more
I use a small, free, NN-powered translation engine but wouldn't be willing to pay for an AI-enabled solution (based on my tests on machinetranslation.com, it wouldn't help me much with the kind of work I do). I wonder, however, if there are many customers in the translation market who say things like, "You must use our AI software and reduce your rate by 50%." My work is a black box; who cares what tools I use (as long as they keep my work confidential) and why should anyone force me to use a specific tool? Just because it's tweaked to the customer's standards? Why, the customer can give me their TMs and TBs and I'll produce a translation that's perfectly in line with their standards without the help of AI. Plus, there is no way translation AI can be expensive enough to warrant a big discount off my rate. So, whenever a customer offers me a job like that, I'll surely turn it down. If they believe in their AI so much, why bother involving humans: instead, they can tweak their AI some more until it's good enough.

Some people here are talking about "exponential" growth in the quality of AI output. I'm only seeing exponential growth in the hype surrounding it. Progress trends always oscillate. The notion that progress only goes one way and will never stop is a matter of faith for some people, it can't be verified or falsified just like the notion that quantity can transform into true quality (I'm sure there are skeptics who don't even believe in the thing I call "true quality"). Enthusiasts want to see AI everywhere, but are they sure all those supercomputers on which the next-gen AI is supposed to run will have enough clean energy to power them? Or maybe they don't care about the clean energy issue, but in any case, robotization and AIfication will require tons of energy

P. S.: My bank is betting big on AI and digitization. It has huge and powerful IT infrastructure, but any time their AI operator answers my call, I sigh and prepare to wait until it redirects my call to a human. It can't even take my address or answer basic questions

[Edited at 2023-08-03 12:46 GMT]
Collapse

Becca Resnik
P.L.F. Persio
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Philip Lees
expressisverbis
Anton Konashenok
Christine Andersen

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Good enough Aug 3, 2023

Denis Fesik wrote:
My bank is betting big on AI and digitization. It has huge and powerful IT infrastructure, but any time their AI operator answers my call, I sigh and prepare to wait until it redirects my call to a human. It can't even take my address or answer basic questions

[Edited at 2023-08-03 12:46 GMT]

Find me a bank that has listened to customers like you and replaced its AI with more call centre staff...

Everyone knows it isn't perfect, but it's good enough for most things.

There's no going back...

Gennady Lapardin
Gennady Lapardin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 22:44
Italian to Russian
+ ...
Thank you for the link Aug 11, 2023

'I cloned my voice with AI' is interesting. Now the counteraction (AI catchers) should say something. The show goes on Only please avoid the "best of all times" Kaspersky-style detection !!

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:44
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Coping fine thanks. Aug 11, 2023

Question: How are human translators are coping with competition from powerful AI?
Answer: as a translator the only thing I have to cope with is challenging texts. That's all.

Christopher Schröder

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Article:

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »