Lamine Boukabour
Lamine Boukabour  Identity Verified
Algeria
Local time: 22:09
Member (2022)
English to Arabic
Dec 23, 2022

Hello,

After converting a PDF file to a Word file in my Google Drive, I downloaded it, and once I tried to open it I received the text shown in the attached screenshot.

Screenshot 2022-12-23 144446

"Word experienced an error trying to open the file. Try these suggestions.
* Check the file permissions for the document or drive. * Make sure there is sufficient free memory and disk space.
* Open the file with the Text Recovery converter. (C:\...\Kaye_Issues_and_Debates_in_Cyb...)"

Do you have any idea about this issue?

Kind Regards,
Lamine

[Edited at 2022-12-23 14:02 GMT]

Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 00:09
Greek to English
Try something different Dec 24, 2022

It isn't clear to me how you converted the file and Windows obviously has no idea what's wrong with it.

Suggestions:

1. Try converting the PDF to a different Word-readable format, e.g. .doc instead of .docx, or .rtf, or .odt.

2. Try using different software to convert the file. There are free on-line PDF to Word converters, some with limitations. I use ABBYY Fine reader, which is usually pretty good.

neilmac

Lamine Boukabour
Lamine Boukabour  Identity Verified
Algeria
Local time: 22:09
Member (2022)
English to Arabic
TOPIC STARTER
I will try Dec 24, 2022

Thank you @Philip Lees, I will try.
Philip Lees wrote:

It isn't clear to me how you converted the file and Windows obviously has no idea what's wrong with it.

Suggestions:

1. Try converting the PDF to a different Word-readable format, e.g. .doc instead of .docx, or .rtf, or .odt.

2. Try using different software to convert the file. There are free on-line PDF to Word converters, some with limitations. I use ABBYY Fine reader, which is usually pretty good.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MS Word file can't be opened

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »