Off topic: Could someone translate this sign into English for me please?
Thread poster: Christopher May
Christopher May
Christopher May
United Kingdom
Jul 24, 2021

Could someone translate this sign for me, please? From what I gather it's in Farsi, but I may be wrong. Thanks a lot.

https://i.imgur.com/X1cLvkB.jpg

Zeynab Tajik
Zeynab Tajik  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:07
Member (2012)
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Not Farsi Jul 25, 2021

Christopher May wrote:

Could someone translate this sign for me, please? From what I gather it's in Farsi, but I may be wrong. Thanks a lot.

https://i.imgur.com/X1cLvkB.jpg

Hi Christopher. It is not Farsi. Maybe it is Urdu.

Behdad Ziksari

Ahmad Hosseinzadeh
Ahmad Hosseinzadeh  Identity Verified
Iran
Local time: 14:37
+ ...
با تشکر از [...] Jul 25, 2021

Hi Christoph,
I can see four words; the first three are با تشکر از (With Thanks to). The last one seems to be a proper name (it looks like کوثر [Kowsar]), but I can't be sure.

Christopher May
Christopher May
United Kingdom
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot Jul 25, 2021

Thank you for the information. It was a gift from an Iranian man who was a client of my mother's. I'm not sure of the last word. She doesn't remember his name. Her name is Gwen if that helps at all. Thanks again.

Ahmad Hosseinzadeh wrote:

Hi Christoph,
I can see four words; the first three are با تشکر از (With Thanks to). The last one seems to be a proper name (it looks like کوثر [Kowsar]), but I can't be sure.

Zeynab Tajik
Zeynab Tajik  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:07
Member (2012)
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Wow Jul 25, 2021

Hi Christoph,

You have a talent for reading strange caligraphy.

Ahmad Hosseinzadeh
Iran
+ ...
"Thank you, Gwen" Jul 26, 2021

No I see. The last word is "Gwen", but he has carved its last letter in a way which rather looks like Persian "R" than "N". So the full version is "Thank you, Gwen"!

Christopher May wrote:

Thank you for the information. It was a gift from an Iranian man who was a client of my mother's. I'm not sure of the last word. She doesn't remember his name. Her name is Gwen if that helps at all. Thanks again.

Hi Christoph,

Mazdak Sadri Afshar

Ahmad Hosseinzadeh
Iran
+ ...
Thank you Jul 26, 2021

After dealing with many awfully handwritten documents during my translation career, I've learned a few tricks

Zeynab Tajik wrote:

Hi Christoph,

You have a talent for reading strange caligraphy.

Mazdak Sadri Afshar
Mazdak Sadri Afshar
It Dec 22, 2021

Yes it is craved: With thanks to Gwen با تشکر از گوئن
but the pronunciation or transliteration of Gwen is not right. گون is correct

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Mahmoud Akbari[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Could someone translate this sign into English for me please?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »