Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you ever search for the translation of a term into a third language?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Eser Perkins
Eser Perkins  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 16:35
English to Turkish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Yes Aug 19, 2011

I work in EnglishTurkish pair and I use French as the third language to validate the translation of a tough term or even to find its meaning in the target. There are so many French words in Turkish (probably second largest chunk of vocabulary migrated from another language, the first being Arabic) that it really comes in handy very often especially when I work on an art-related field. I once stumbled upon a website which listed more than 40 thousand French words in the Turkish language, mostly i... See more
I work in EnglishTurkish pair and I use French as the third language to validate the translation of a tough term or even to find its meaning in the target. There are so many French words in Turkish (probably second largest chunk of vocabulary migrated from another language, the first being Arabic) that it really comes in handy very often especially when I work on an art-related field. I once stumbled upon a website which listed more than 40 thousand French words in the Turkish language, mostly in technical or artistic fields. There are still tons of other French words in Turkish daily language which are so well camouflaged that most Turkish people don't even suspect them being foreign words, such as bidon, bilet, viraj, jeton, suare, sifon, şifon, pavyon... etc. One can notice that most words that end with "-on" and the ones beginning or ending with "j" and "ş" are the usual suspects.Collapse

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:35
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Food related texts Aug 19, 2011

I sometimes translate food related texts such as restaurant reviews or travel descriptions. I often stumble upon "French culinary terms" that apparently are supposed to sound lush and sophisticated but certain technical terms are used differently on different continents and don't make any sense in this context. In this case I have to look up the original meaning in French before I end up writing nonsense.

Catherine GUILLIAUMET
Catherine GUILLIAUMET  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:35
English to French
+ ...
In memoriam
Yes : medical PT > FR, often needs PT>ES Aug 20, 2011

Yes, when I have to translate medical (my only speciality) Portuguese documents, the PT>FR medical reference literature or glossaries being far less than profuse, I often refer to PT>ES documents.

It's an interesting and cerebral-functions-preservative exercise

Have a nice canicular weekend
Catherine

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you ever search for the translation of a term into a third language?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »