Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: If you receive a large translation project that you can't handle on your own, you...
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 18:09
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Negotiate, of course May 11, 2016

I think it's pretty obvious that trying to negotiate the deadline is the first choice.

If it's not negotiable, then it's plausible to SUGGEST TO THE CLIENT splitting the job with another translator (or more people, if required).

However, dividing a job with other translators without the client's knowledge is a "traslation crime" in my opinion. If you do that, you're being very irresponsible.

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 06:09
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Negotiate May 12, 2016

If the customer is asking you first, it's because they regard you as the more (most) capable of their translators. I've frequently recommended (impressed?) customers that splitting up big projects among two or more translators is not the way to go since it will beget inconsistency and, hence - more importantly for the customer - more post-editing and revision work for them in a schedule that is already being trimmed at both ends of the candle.

Splitting a big job up to give preferen
... See more
If the customer is asking you first, it's because they regard you as the more (most) capable of their translators. I've frequently recommended (impressed?) customers that splitting up big projects among two or more translators is not the way to go since it will beget inconsistency and, hence - more importantly for the customer - more post-editing and revision work for them in a schedule that is already being trimmed at both ends of the candle.

Splitting a big job up to give preference to deadline requirements is a 'one step forward, three steps back' solution. Intelligent customers will understand this and as the 'designated hitter' by virtue of being asked first, your say has a lot of weight. IMHO

[Edited at 2016-05-12 06:38 GMT]
Collapse

Erzsébet Czopyk
Erzsébet Czopyk  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 23:09
Member (2006)
Russian to Hungarian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
could not agree more May 12, 2016

Mario Freitas wrote:

I think it's pretty obvious that trying to negotiate the deadline is the first choice.

If it's not negotiable, then it's plausible to SUGGEST TO THE CLIENT splitting the job with another translator (or more people, if required).

However, dividing a job with other translators without the client's knowledge is a "traslation crime" in my opinion. If you do that, you're being very irresponsible.

...there is nothing to add or explain.

Erzsébet Czopyk
Erzsébet Czopyk  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 23:09
Member (2006)
Russian to Hungarian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
best options, IMHO May 12, 2016

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

a) I am busy; or turnaround required is too short - I tell them what I CAN do. If that's not enough, I'll suggest them a few colleagues I know that could handle it, and wish them good luck.

b) 'Wrong' language - They need translation from/into a language I don't work. I refer to a colleague that works in the required pair, and wish them good luck.

c) 'Wrong' subject area - It's technical material in a subject that I have declared off-limits for me. I refer them to a colleague specialized in that area whose competence I know, and wish them good luck.

d) Too large volume - I refer them to one of the translation agencies I usually work for, or to a colleague who is used to setting up translator teams; in the latter case I'm often in that team.

e) Cumbersome logistics - Client needs a certified/sworn translation, but both they and the document are far away. I refer them to a colleague licensed for the intended purpose closer to where they and the document are.

The list doesn't end here, of course.

I assume that if the client contacted me with a job, they are seeking a solution. If I can provide it, I'll do my best in doing it. If I can't, I'll try my best to point them to what I think is the right direction.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: If you receive a large translation project that you can't handle on your own, you...

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »