Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Have you ever learnt a language (L2) that proved to be useless in your job as a translator?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:10
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
I studied German for at least seven years Aug 23, 2016

I had a really good level in 1975, although I could never speak it well. But in the 30 years between then and starting translating for a living I forgot the lot!

Shame really as I've rather rashly booked a cruise on a German ship. No English used online or on board, except for safety announcements. Might be in for a quiet week, only talking to my other half, also a non-German speaker.

Enrico C - ECLC
Enrico C - ECLC  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 02:10
English to Italian
+ ...
French Aug 23, 2016

It was a waste of time in terms of usability in the time and place I learned it. Plus it's slowly going due to lack of use. By the time I started receiving work in French I was full with English and refused it. Chinese will take the place of french then, time allowing, Arabic.

Lenka Červená
Lenka Červená  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 20:10
Member (2014)
English to Czech
+ ...
Hmm.. Aug 24, 2016

Lemme see..not yet Although I hope that none of the languages I learn will be learned in vain!

Ikram Mahyuddin
Ikram Mahyuddin  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 01:10
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Local languages Aug 24, 2016

In Indonesia there are some local languages such as Sundanese and Minangese. I learned the two languages a bit, but I don't employ them in my translation work.

inkweaver
inkweaver  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:10
French to German
+ ...
Yes Aug 24, 2016

Italian. When I started freelancing, I actually translated a lot from Italian, but I used it less and less since it seemed to be badly paid, not to mention the terms of payment Italian outsourcers like to offer... It got rusty very quickly so I dropped it completely a couple of years ago.
Most of my work is from French into German and, although my productive skills are much better in English, French has become my preferred language to translate from.
Swedish doesn't seem to be in ve
... See more
Italian. When I started freelancing, I actually translated a lot from Italian, but I used it less and less since it seemed to be badly paid, not to mention the terms of payment Italian outsourcers like to offer... It got rusty very quickly so I dropped it completely a couple of years ago.
Most of my work is from French into German and, although my productive skills are much better in English, French has become my preferred language to translate from.
Swedish doesn't seem to be in very high demand, unfortunately. I suppose most texts are translated into English and then from English into German.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you ever learnt a language (L2) that proved to be useless in your job as a translator?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »