Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you believe that a good memory is an important attribute for a translator?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:00
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Of course Jan 24, 2017

Julian Holmes wrote:

But seriously, folks, how on earth can you possibly translate if you don't have a decent gray matter memory?

Well, Julian, maybe what I once told my math teacher ages ago could be the answer to your question: I don't have to memorize how to solve any given mathematical problem. It suffices for me to remember where I can find the solution.

[Edited at 2017-01-24 13:31 GMT]

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
As always, it depends Jan 24, 2017

Memory alone (a recollection) is but a set of some practical and theoretical pieces of various bias, alternations, conglomerations, different types, reliability, relevancy, and so on.
Actually, it's more like knowledge about knowledge.

Why, it's important, but it's even more important HOW one operates and implements it.

For instance, one learned (and still remembers) how to do something, but doesn't even try, then what's the use? It's like one doesn't know or reme
... See more
Memory alone (a recollection) is but a set of some practical and theoretical pieces of various bias, alternations, conglomerations, different types, reliability, relevancy, and so on.
Actually, it's more like knowledge about knowledge.

Why, it's important, but it's even more important HOW one operates and implements it.

For instance, one learned (and still remembers) how to do something, but doesn't even try, then what's the use? It's like one doesn't know or remember--no real difference, no real use.

Nowadays it seems vital to remember how or where one could find the solution)
Collapse

Henry Schroeder
Henry Schroeder  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:00
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Concentration is even more important than memory Jan 24, 2017

As Jack said, there are a lot of ways to compensate for poor memory in translation (in particular CAT tools and online resources), but there is nothing to help you with concentration, and the moment it lapses, a minor mistake is made.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 07:00
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
A well-organised selective memory is ideal Jan 24, 2017

It is an advantage to be able to forget clients' sensitive industrial secrets, the names on divorce certificates and other personal documents, and intimate medical histories... all that fascinating gossip that you come across! Then there is less risk of passing on confidential information and breaching your NDAs.

It is useful, on the other hand, to have a good memory for client-specific terminology and anything else that is still hard to find, even in these days of online dictionari
... See more
It is an advantage to be able to forget clients' sensitive industrial secrets, the names on divorce certificates and other personal documents, and intimate medical histories... all that fascinating gossip that you come across! Then there is less risk of passing on confidential information and breaching your NDAs.

It is useful, on the other hand, to have a good memory for client-specific terminology and anything else that is still hard to find, even in these days of online dictionaries and databases, Google, Linguee and all the rest.

Never trust your own memory entirely - it plays tricks, especially when you are tired or under pressure with a tight deadline.

Supplement it with a simple system that will remind you. When you find those difficult terms, discover the difference between a spade and a shovel, or anything else that may come up later, note it somewhere that is easy to find. How to spell that peculiar name, little things like definitely, not definately, which you always get wrong... Long strings that take time to type.

I put the strangest things into Multiterm glossaries... and it is amazing what comes up as I work! Then it only takes a few seconds to check if necessary whether it is still valid, and update Multiterm.
Collapse

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 02:00
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes Jan 25, 2017

Some of these polls really make me wonder if there are so few polls proposed by the users that the staff is forced to publish anything that comes to their mind (without thinking about it at all before clicking the "submit" button).

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you believe that a good memory is an important attribute for a translator?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »