Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you find that household duties interfere with your work?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
EvaVer (X)
EvaVer (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:29
Czech to French
+ ...
I don't let them Apr 6, 2017

and the house often looks it. I cannot have a maid - I live out in the country in b***y Eastern Europe where this is simply not done, and it would also be dangerous to let your neighbours see you can afford such things. My husband helps, yes - unlike me, he has such a lot of energy!

Sarah Basto
Sarah Basto  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Apr 6, 2017

[Edited at 2017-04-06 15:50 GMT]

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:29
German to English
+ ...
a strange question Apr 6, 2017

Would you ask a doctor "Do household duties interfere with your work?" Or an engineer, or bricklayer, or clerk, or teacher? Everyone in life who practices a profession or occupation also needs to eat, prepare food, sweep the floor, and sleep. But if they were to say that these things "interfere" with their work, well it just seems odd.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 11:29
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
A bit Apr 7, 2017

They do a little bit. But they are actually a great way to stand up and do something other than translating for a while. I always take a break to cook, wash dishes, wash cloth, fix something in the house, make some coffee, etc. And it's a great thing to do, IMO.

Toby Wakely
Toby Wakely  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:29
Spanish to English
+ ...
Doesn't interfere Apr 7, 2017

No, it doesn't interfere. If I'm stuck doing a long translation it's nice to do something different like cooking or taking the dog for a walk. We have a cleaner who helps coz I can't stand cleaning.

Sylvie Chartier
Sylvie Chartier  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
Not at all Apr 30, 2017

I entirely agree with a lot of colleagues, let's hire local people.

I have a maintenance man, gardener, pool boy, a cleaning lady and a cook (if needed).

I had a cleaning lady in my previous lives but now cannot even bother cooking!!!

[Edited at 2017-04-30 13:47 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you find that household duties interfere with your work?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »