Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you know an endangered language?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 09:15
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Several Apr 8, 2017

There are several endangered languages all over the world. The indigenous languages, for example, are mostly endangered, as well as the Indians themselves.

However, I think most languages are sverely endangered with this new fashion that "the language is alive", "the language is dynamic and we must accept the popular changes", "we should not follow only the grammar rules and always go by the book", and other such assertions people use mostly as excuses not to learn or to justify the
... See more
There are several endangered languages all over the world. The indigenous languages, for example, are mostly endangered, as well as the Indians themselves.

However, I think most languages are sverely endangered with this new fashion that "the language is alive", "the language is dynamic and we must accept the popular changes", "we should not follow only the grammar rules and always go by the book", and other such assertions people use mostly as excuses not to learn or to justify their errors. And this fashion is growing immensely, sort of like the current distorted politically correct. People are forcing the mistakes to become acceptable instead of forcing their kids to write and speak correctly.

So I must agree with Chris:
Chris S wrote:
Can I be the first to say English?

[Edited at 2017-04-08 04:43 GMT]
Collapse

Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 14:15
English to Italian
Sardinian Apr 8, 2017

Clarisa Moraña wrote:

Gianluca Marras wrote:

I was born in Sardinia, which has its own language, and unfortunately this is slowly disappearing.

When I was in Sardinia I was told that almost every town has a different Sardinian variant, thus academics could not agree in which was the most "accurate" one, and that language teachers from one town might not be able to teach in another town as they might have a different way of speaking.
BTW, I have a nice Sardinian cookbook, written both in Italian and Sardinian, and I can understand almost both languages (I speak a litte of Italian, and I'm a Spanish-speaking.

That's true, Clarisa, just if we want to make it simple we have TWO main variants of Sardininan (one is spoken with different pronunciation of some words and some minor differences in vocabulary in the north of Sardina, the other variant in the south). So let's say that if you speak the language of the north someone from the south will not understand (and viceversa).

Then, within the boundaries of these two main variants there are other variants.... it can get really complicated

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you know an endangered language?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »