Thierry LOTTE
Thierry LOTTE  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:40
Member (2001)
English to French
+ ...
Jun 16, 2003

Dear Prozanians,

On Friday evening I am leaving for Lisboa on a sentimental journey with my girl.

At this occasion, we really would like to spend one evening or two in a good “Fado” cabaret or place. Last time we went to Lisboa we found there a lot of spots but we were quite frightened by the “barkers” standing everywhere. That was really sounding like a tourist trap and, for the one we tried, it really was.

Would any Fado Aficionado recommend me
... See more
Dear Prozanians,

On Friday evening I am leaving for Lisboa on a sentimental journey with my girl.

At this occasion, we really would like to spend one evening or two in a good “Fado” cabaret or place. Last time we went to Lisboa we found there a lot of spots but we were quite frightened by the “barkers” standing everywhere. That was really sounding like a tourist trap and, for the one we tried, it really was.

Would any Fado Aficionado recommend me one or two places?

We also would need the address of a good (and cheap) seafood restaurant (clams, oysters and so on…).

Thanks in advance for the help you might bring to two Fado lovers and please kindly do not hesitate to consult me when traveling in Barcelona.

Friendly
Collapse

Gabriela Frazao
Gabriela Frazao  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 19:40
English to Portuguese
+ ...
My usual choices. Jun 16, 2003

Fado - "Senhor Vinho": http://www.restsrvinho.com/
The best Fado's singers are here.

Seafood - "Restaurante RAMIRO".
Address: Avenida Almirante Reis
Area: Igreja dos Anjos (Church)and Intendente.
The best seafood in Lisbon City.

If you need anything else, please contact me: 21 385 4174 (home) or 91 458 3732 (mobile)

And have a nice stay!
Gabriela

Thierry LOTTE wrote:

Dear Prozanians,

We also would need the address of a good (and cheap) seafood restaurant (clams, oysters and so on…).

Thanks in advance for the help you might bring to two Fado lovers and please kindly do not hesitate to consult me when traveling in Barcelona.

Friendly

José Luis Villanueva-Senchuk (X)
José Luis Villanueva-Senchuk (X)  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 15:40
English to Spanish
+ ...
Do you like cod fish??? Jun 16, 2003

Hola,

You had a local answer already so I might be way off but...from my humble experience:

Joao de Grao in the Baixa is great. The cod there was Langosta Vermehla was a neat experience - not expensive (round 10 Euros). Doca 6 is a little expensive but the octopus, if you are by the terrace, will taste like a piece of heaven.

El Conventual was a treat...
See more
Hola,

You had a local answer already so I might be way off but...from my humble experience:

Joao de Grao in the Baixa is great. The cod there was Langosta Vermehla was a neat experience - not expensive (round 10 Euros). Doca 6 is a little expensive but the octopus, if you are by the terrace, will taste like a piece of heaven.

El Conventual was a treat.
O Nobre is run by a couple who are worth meeting. It is expensive but if you want to celebrate your B-day in style, treat yourself and your partner to any of these two

Take good care and enjoy!!!!

JL

[Edited at 2003-06-16 19:28]
Collapse

Gabriela Frazao
Gabriela Frazao  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 19:40
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Nice choices, José Luis! Jun 16, 2003

... but when we are in love, we usually hate cod-fish...

All restaurants you suggested are really fine.

I will try "Lagosta Vermelha" next time, the only restaurant unknown to me.

Thanks a lot!
Gabriela

José Luis Villanueva-Senchuk wrote:

Hola,

El Conventual was a treat.
O Nobre is run by a couple who are worth meeting. It is expensive but if you want to celebrate your B-day in style, treat yourself and your partner to any of these two

Take good care and enjoy!!!!

JL

[Edited at 2003-06-16 19:28]

José Luis Villanueva-Senchuk (X)
José Luis Villanueva-Senchuk (X)  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 15:40
English to Spanish
+ ...
Cod fish and love... Jun 16, 2003

I am a "freelancer cook" and love any food I like in the company of my loved ones (partner, friends, etc.) at any moment...

It is obvious that for a special treat, some foods go better than others but... food is made for sharing with people you love and care for. Even garlic can be nice and 'sexy', trust me...
See more

I am a "freelancer cook" and love any food I like in the company of my loved ones (partner, friends, etc.) at any moment...

It is obvious that for a special treat, some foods go better than others but... food is made for sharing with people you love and care for. Even garlic can be nice and 'sexy', trust me

One of the best "non-fancy" food momentums was one I had while sharing home-made wine and cheese with old bread in the mountains, in a hut at 2800 meters, at Aigüestortes (Catalonia).

Have to go now. Sorry for not being able to write in Portuguese here.

JL
Collapse

Todd Field
Todd Field  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:40
Portuguese to English
Ai, quem me dera!!! Jun 18, 2003

SAUDADE,, yes...

Lots of it when you love Lisbon, but live in Colorado. If only you could take a town in Portugal (cafes, little restaurants, people actually in the street) and combine it with the big wilderness of here (Saudi Arabia to Switzerland in an hour's drive), you may just have Heaven on Earth.

For real fado, I recommend:

Parreirinha de Alfama
Beco Espírito Santo, 1
Lisboa
21 886 82 09 phone

It's right behind the
... See more
SAUDADE,, yes...

Lots of it when you love Lisbon, but live in Colorado. If only you could take a town in Portugal (cafes, little restaurants, people actually in the street) and combine it with the big wilderness of here (Saudi Arabia to Switzerland in an hour's drive), you may just have Heaven on Earth.

For real fado, I recommend:

Parreirinha de Alfama
Beco Espírito Santo, 1
Lisboa
21 886 82 09 phone

It's right behind the Sé (just tell yor taxi driver this and you'll get there). Make sure you show up after 9 PM and stay at least until after midnight. That's when it gets good.

For a twist, check out this really cool local's spot in São Pedro de Sintra (right in Sintra), which does hard-core Portuguese Celtic and traditional music:

Taverna dos Trovadores
Pç. D. Fernando II - S. Pedro Sintra

Tell them the crazy American guitarist sent you, the guy who's Fred's friend, and you will be in for a treat. If the owner (Fernando) offers you a 50 euro bottle of wine from his cellar, consider taking it... worth every cent. Recite this ditty to him and he may give you a discount:

"À noite na Taverna dos Trovadores
cantigas proibidas e pensadores
o tabaco é permitido, há vinho clandestino
o ponto de encontro árabe-latino"

As far as seafood, it's hard to miss anywhere in Portugal (of course), but the best I ever had was in Ponto Final in Almada, a quick ferry ride across the Tejo, just a couple steps off the dock (follow the main street and you'll see it on the first block). Last time I was there, there were a total of five tables in the whole place, and the best "sardinas" I've ever had in my life. Look for the old accordion player after 9 PM... I hope he's still alive.

Enjoy some for us landlocked folks!

Boa sorte,

Todd
Collapse

Camaxilo
Camaxilo  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:40
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Fado's place Jun 18, 2003

Thierry LOTTE wrote:

Dear Prozanians,

Friendly

Have a good time in the old Lisbon. In my days, once upon a long time ago, when I was young and used to roam the streets of Lisbon, my friend and I used to go to a place called "Ritz Night Club", a well known place in all of Lisboa. But since that was in sixties, I don't know if the place is still standing there. I think if you search for night life in the internet, I am sure, you will find plenty of beautiful places throughout Lisbon, for you to go and enjoy a nice and very romantic evening: I still remember the sardines, the "bacalhau na braza" the fados performed by Amalia Rodrigues. Cheira a Lisboa... e tenha umas boas ferias!

Felicidades!
Regards!
Ciao!
Bye!
Hasta Luego!

Thierry LOTTE
Member (2001)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Obreado Jun 19, 2003

Thanks to all of you !

I really do appreciate !

The high reputation of the Portugues for their hospitality and amability is definitely not a legend neither a topic !

But, this, I already knew it.

Now, we have directions to spend more than 10 days in Lisboa : we can spend only 3 nights.

This will be an excellent reason to come back there later on, because Lisboa is Lisboa and when you goes here once in your life, you always wish to
... See more
Thanks to all of you !

I really do appreciate !

The high reputation of the Portugues for their hospitality and amability is definitely not a legend neither a topic !

But, this, I already knew it.

Now, we have directions to spend more than 10 days in Lisboa : we can spend only 3 nights.

This will be an excellent reason to come back there later on, because Lisboa is Lisboa and when you goes here once in your life, you always wish to come back as soon as possible:

Because of the Town, because of the Portugueses.

Thanks once more and best regards to all of you.

Thierry
Collapse

Thierry LOTTE
Member (2001)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
So sad to be back Jun 27, 2003

Dear All!

I am now back from Lisboa and I already feel nostalgic (Saudade ?) and I am already dreaming about my next sentimental journey there (with the same girl of course…).

I would like to express here my best and sincere thanks to all the ones who provided me these tips and nice addresses: unfortunately the 4 days and three nights that I have spent in Lisboa did not allow me to enjoy all them all.

The ones where I dropped on were fantastic and I am su
... See more
Dear All!

I am now back from Lisboa and I already feel nostalgic (Saudade ?) and I am already dreaming about my next sentimental journey there (with the same girl of course…).

I would like to express here my best and sincere thanks to all the ones who provided me these tips and nice addresses: unfortunately the 4 days and three nights that I have spent in Lisboa did not allow me to enjoy all them all.

The ones where I dropped on were fantastic and I am sure that the ones I missed for lack of time too… Another good reason to come back ASAP !

Obregado !
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Saudade

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »