Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Do you keep up to date with your working languages?
Thread poster: Sofía Creo
Sofía Creo
Sofía Creo
Argentina
Local time: 03:34
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 16, 2023

Hi, colleagues!
As a professional translator, I always try to keep updated with my working languages, especially English. I put into practice different strategies to avoid being rusty! Here I share some:
- Speak with natives
- Meet up with colleagues to speak in English
- Read news in English related to my specialization
Do you do some of these activities as well? Do you have any other strategy?

Semper Fidelis

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 07:34
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes Jan 16, 2023

I watch the news in French at lunch time (Rtbf via TVMonde) and in English at dinner time (BBC and/or SkyNews). I read French (“Obs”, “Le Monde”, “Elle”, “Marie Claire”) English (“The Economist”), Spanish (“El País”) and Italian (“La Stampa”, “Corriere della Sera”) newspapers and magazines (digital and/or print). The most effective way to learn a language is immersing yourself in the local culture and I lived in the francophone part of Belgium for 30 years. I’v... See more
I watch the news in French at lunch time (Rtbf via TVMonde) and in English at dinner time (BBC and/or SkyNews). I read French (“Obs”, “Le Monde”, “Elle”, “Marie Claire”) English (“The Economist”), Spanish (“El País”) and Italian (“La Stampa”, “Corriere della Sera”) newspapers and magazines (digital and/or print). The most effective way to learn a language is immersing yourself in the local culture and I lived in the francophone part of Belgium for 30 years. I’ve moved back to my home country and town in October 2015 (time flies, it doesn’t seem 8 years ago)…Collapse

Sofía Creo
Angie Garbarino
Michele Fauble
Marijke Singer
Anette Hilgendag

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
No Jan 16, 2023

I translate them all day, that’s enough exposure for me.

expressisverbis
Lieven Malaise
Dan Lucas
Angie Garbarino
Wilsonn Perez Reyes
Sarah Lewis-Morgan

Sofía Creo
Sofía Creo
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Very interesting, María Teresa! You could experience the language and the culture at their best :) Jan 16, 2023

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida wrote:

I watch the news in French at lunch time (Rtbf via TVMonde) and in English at dinner time (BBC and/or SkyNews). I read French (“Obs”, “Le Monde”, “Elle”, “Marie Claire”) English (“The Economist”), Spanish (“El País”) and Italian (“La Stampa”, “Corriere della Sera”) newspapers and magazines (digital and/or print). The most effective way to learn a language is immersing yourself in the local culture and I lived in the francophone part of Belgium for 30 years. I’ve moved back to my home country and town in October 2015 (time flies, it doesn’t seem 8 years ago)…

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Sofía Jan 16, 2023

Though a full and prolonged language immersion is a great tool, the trouble with it is the fact that after a few years you will struggle to retain your first language and you will have to pay great attention not to mix up everything. It didn’t happen to me in the written form but I’m guilty of using occasionally some uncommon Portuguese verbs and nouns entirely “borrowed” from French in the oral form. Migrants and expats know what I’m talking about, that's the flip side of the coin...

Rachel Waddington
Anette Hilgendag
Sofía Creo
Sarah Lewis-Morgan

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Proz.com Jan 17, 2023

Proz.com is your friend too.
It not only helps us to keep up to date with our working languages, but also helps us in many other aspects.

[Edited at 2023-01-17 09:19 GMT]

[Edited at 2023-01-17 09:49 GMT]

Baran Keki
Sofía Creo

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:34
Dutch to English
+ ...
Teach your native languages Jan 17, 2023

I do pro bono. It makes me check grammatical rules and see whether there are changes. It also makes me keep up with new vocabulary.

Sofía Creo

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
@Teresa Jan 17, 2023

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida wrote:

Though a full and prolonged language immersion is a great tool, the trouble with it is the fact that after a few years you will struggle to retain your first language and you will have to pay great attention not to mix up everything. It didn’t happen to me in the written form but I’m guilty of using occasionally some uncommon Portuguese verbs and nouns entirely “borrowed” from French in the oral form. Migrants and expats know what I’m talking about, that's the flip side of the coin...

A few days ago I wrote "que" instead of "che" fortunately it was a whatsapp message to my son.

andrea bacquot

Evgeny Sidorenko
Evgeny Sidorenko
Russian Federation
Local time: 09:34
English to Russian
+ ...
Series Jan 17, 2023

When I waste my time watching movie series, I do it in English. British series are great for listening to various accents. The latest fun is watching the Gomorra series in Italian with the English subtitles. It just sounds cool, and you can learn some Italian curses too.

Baran Keki
Sofía Creo
andrea bacquot

Josephine Cassar
Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Malta
Member (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...
Yes of course Jan 17, 2023

I keep up to date with my working languages not only because of my work but also because I love those languages. Nowadays, it's really easy keeping up to date with them in Malta. Many foreigners who come over or who live or work here speak French and we have many Italians working here and just won't learn or speak in English (or any other language) so it's easy practicing. Apart from that, I watch most programmes in Italian and I love their programmes, and I make it a point to watch and listen t... See more
I keep up to date with my working languages not only because of my work but also because I love those languages. Nowadays, it's really easy keeping up to date with them in Malta. Many foreigners who come over or who live or work here speak French and we have many Italians working here and just won't learn or speak in English (or any other language) so it's easy practicing. Apart from that, I watch most programmes in Italian and I love their programmes, and I make it a point to watch and listen to news in French. I also use Simple Radio on my mobile to listen to any foreign station broadcasting programmes, from music to discussions and news, so keeping up is no big deal now.Collapse

Sofía Creo

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
YouTube Jan 17, 2023

Just watch news on YouTube at 1.5x - 1.75x speed.

Josephine Cassar
Sofía Creo

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 09:34
English to Turkish
Agreed Jan 17, 2023

Evgeny Sidorenko wrote:

When I waste my time watching movie series, I do it in English. British series are great for listening to various accents. The latest fun is watching the Gomorra series in Italian with the English subtitles. It just sounds cool, and you can learn some Italian curses too.

I'm doing the same, watching "4 Blocks", a cracking German series. Trying to brush up on my German, learning from 'die kanaken'.

Sofía Creo

Sofía Creo
Sofía Creo
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all for your comments! Jan 17, 2023

I like taking courses as well to refresh some aspects of the language.

Josephine Cassar
Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Malta
Member (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...
And then of course Jan 17, 2023

Go to the countries of the source languages if possible, mix with locals (not touristy sense). I used to go before Covid, nearly every year, to different parts of both countries. Now I'll go again. That is the best then, if possible.

Sofía Creo
Sofía Creo
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Nice! Jan 17, 2023

Here in Argentina, that is sometimes difficult because of the distances and prices. I use an app called Tandem to speak with natives every time I can

Josephine Cassar wrote:

Go to the countries of the source languages if possible, mix with locals (not touristy sense). I used to go before Covid, nearly every year, to different parts of both countries. Now I'll go again. That is the best then, if possible.

[Edited at 2023-01-17 15:03 GMT]

Rachel Waddington

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do you keep up to date with your working languages?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »