Can someone please proofread my profile?
Thread poster: Andreas Nieckele
Andreas Nieckele
Andreas Nieckele  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 13:41
English to Portuguese
May 5, 2009

Hello dear colleagues,

Can someone please help me out? I completely rewrote my profile, and would like to have it proofread by someone whose native language is English. Is it written like a native english speaker would write? Are the sentences well structured?

I appreciate comments and suggestions, btw (I feel it's somewhat long... what do you think?).

Thanks!

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:41
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
No, it is not too long May 5, 2009

At least, I do not think so, since my own is long, as well.

[Edited at 2009-05-05 22:02 GMT]

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:41
Russian to English
+ ...
I will do it May 5, 2009

I couldn't tell whether Astrid was volunteering, but since it's late in Germany now, I will do it. Astrid, if you're doing it, please let me know.

Susan

jmf
jmf  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2006)
Spanish to English
Brazilian May 5, 2009

should be capitalized

Sara Senft
Sara Senft  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
A few suggestions May 5, 2009

I agree that you should capitalize "brazilian." Nationalities are always capitalized when you write in English.

I also recommend reorganizing this sentence: "I only work with content I'm deeply familiar with." English sentences should not end with prepositions. (There is some debate about this. I rarely end sentences with prepositions.) You could say in several ways. I suggest something like "I only work with familiar content."

[Edited at
... See more
I agree that you should capitalize "brazilian." Nationalities are always capitalized when you write in English.

I also recommend reorganizing this sentence: "I only work with content I'm deeply familiar with." English sentences should not end with prepositions. (There is some debate about this. I rarely end sentences with prepositions.) You could say in several ways. I suggest something like "I only work with familiar content."

[Edited at 2009-05-05 23:27 GMT]
Collapse

Andreas Nieckele
Andreas Nieckele  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 13:41
English to Portuguese
TOPIC STARTER
Great tips May 6, 2009

Thank you for your help! I have already updated my profile, based on your suggestions.

I think it's pretty good now, but I'm always interested in more suggestions!

Kai Döring
Kai Döring  Identity Verified
Philippines
Local time: 00:41
English to German
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Willingness to work, Project replies May 6, 2009

It would be nice if you could get direct comments from your clients. This may improve your ratings.

[Edited at 2009-05-06 04:37 GMT]

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
A consistency issue? May 6, 2009

"Video games, software, internet" in your tag line. You use "internet" all in lowercase, whereas you use "Internet" in the rest.

Suzan Hamer
Suzan Hamer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English
+ ...
ONLY May 6, 2009

Sara Senft wrote:

I haven't yet had the time to read your profile, but I must recommend further reorganizing the sentence: "I work only with familiar content." To write "I only work with..." means "I only work with it; I don't eat it or play with it or do anything else with it." As for not ending sentences with a preposition. Yes, that's what we're all taught and aim for. But, to quote Winston Churchill: "Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." Sometimes strict adherence to this rule looks ridiculous.

Sara Senft
Sara Senft  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
On second thought.... May 6, 2009

Hmm....

I read your comment about rephrasing that sentence. You do make sense. That was the first alternative that came to mind, and I DID acknowledge that there are other ways he could have said it.

Suzan Hamer wrote:

Sara Senft wrote:

I haven't yet had the time to read your profile, but I must recommend further reorganizing the sentence: "I work only with familiar content." To write "I only work with..." means "I only work with it; I don't eat it or play with it or do anything else with it." As for not ending sentences with a preposition. Yes, that's what we're all taught and aim for. But, to quote Winston Churchill: "Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put." Sometimes strict adherence to this rule looks ridiculous.

Paul Malone
Paul Malone  Identity Verified
France
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
I think it's too long May 6, 2009

Hi Andreas,

I've had a quick look at the English and it looks fine to me.

However, I think you are packing in far too much information. I believe a lot of it is unnecessary.

I don't know much about marketing, but experience and instinct tell me this; if you tell your potential clients too much about yourself and your work, they may not be curious enough to contact you to find out more.

Another point I would make is this. Try to imagine that yo
... See more
Hi Andreas,

I've had a quick look at the English and it looks fine to me.

However, I think you are packing in far too much information. I believe a lot of it is unnecessary.

I don't know much about marketing, but experience and instinct tell me this; if you tell your potential clients too much about yourself and your work, they may not be curious enough to contact you to find out more.

Another point I would make is this. Try to imagine that you are a Project Manager. It's almost time for you to go off duty, but a client needs a translation by tomorrow and all your regular translators for that language combination are unavailable.

What do you need? You need to find a profile with all the essential information, but you need it to be as brief as possible. If there's too much text, the likelihood is that you'll move straight on to the next potential candidate, just to save time if nothing else.

No, I think the English in your profile is fine, but there is simply too much text in my opinion.

Don't hesitate to drop me a ProZ.com message if you think I can be of further help to you.

If you do, I will do my best to help you make your green squares turn red

Best regards,
Paul
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can someone please proofread my profile?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »