Ozgur Demirel
Ozgur Demirel  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 09:32
English to Turkish
+ ...
Sep 3, 2011

Hello esteemed members of ProZ.com

Being a recently active member, I have been suiting up my profile as you would appreciate.

Under "services" part, there we have "voice-over (dubbing)" and subtitling.

Since I can be regarded as a novice to the professional translation scene, I am intrigued a bit especially considering my enthusiasm over the chance of dubbing since I had worked as a radio host back then. I am told I have a "voice to be listened to". So her
... See more
Hello esteemed members of ProZ.com

Being a recently active member, I have been suiting up my profile as you would appreciate.

Under "services" part, there we have "voice-over (dubbing)" and subtitling.

Since I can be regarded as a novice to the professional translation scene, I am intrigued a bit especially considering my enthusiasm over the chance of dubbing since I had worked as a radio host back then. I am told I have a "voice to be listened to". So here it comes:

Are you supposed to have professional hardware and software equipment when you claim you can offer these services ?

I mean, yes, of course you'd at least have to be able to record your voice for some dubbing but does offering such service automatically place me in a preposition where I will eventually be able to return a dubbed final product to the customer ?

Or when you are employed for subtitling, would you only be translating the transcription text or you'd actually extract a transcript of your own and embed it into the video concerned with its all timing etc. done ?

These questions may look dumb indeed. I'm prepared for "hey, what do you understand from voice-over, kiddo ?" kind of responses (I still appreciate politeness though >:| )

Thanks in advance. ^^
Collapse

Eser Perkins
Eser Perkins  Identity Verified
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
It depends on the job Sep 4, 2011

Hello Özgür,

Your questions are not dumb in the least. But there is no one right answer. I mean, some companies require that you record yourself with professional equipment to deliver quality .wav files, where some ask you to go and record in their studios with their equipment, or sometimes you are able to go to any professional recording studio to have yourself recorded (some companies pay for this and some ask that you cover the costs for recording).

As for subtitli
... See more
Hello Özgür,

Your questions are not dumb in the least. But there is no one right answer. I mean, some companies require that you record yourself with professional equipment to deliver quality .wav files, where some ask you to go and record in their studios with their equipment, or sometimes you are able to go to any professional recording studio to have yourself recorded (some companies pay for this and some ask that you cover the costs for recording).

As for subtitling, possibilities are even wider. There are jobs where you are required to do a transcript of the video file, then time cue and finally translate and even truncate the text, there are also ones where you are only sent a word file of the subtitles and asked to translate them within certain character limits. There are also subtitling jobs where you are provided a subtitling software and the master file for the subtitles in the source language to be translated within the certain guidelines also provided by the company. But in all cases, you are limited in character count, the width of the text and number of lines for readability and visibility.

These requirements (of certain software or equipment) are usually mentioned in the job postings by the company.

[Değişiklik saati 2011-09-04 11:02 GMT]
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 03:32
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Some general input Sep 4, 2011

Ozgur, as you seem to be uncertain about the options, I hope my Guide will be useful. There are more articles about video translation on my web site. Feel welcome to browse.

Ozgur Demirel
Ozgur Demirel  Identity Verified
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Sep 4, 2011

@Eser Perkins

So it turned out to be more or less like how I imagined it to be. Thanks for the elaboration, mistress.

@Mr. Lamensdorf

Wow, that's one heck of a guide, sire. I've already read more than half of it. Thank you too.

As soon as I make up my mind, I may come up with further questions.

Thanks again. ^^

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Voice-over" and "subtitling"

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »